Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conspiracy Theory  (Read 2133 times)

Rob C

Conspiracy Theory
« on: December 16, 2016, 06:09:09 am »

Has anyone else noticed, in recent years, that it has become pretty much impossible to wash a T-shirt and ever get it to fold flat again?

I  have noted a tendency for them to twist, and refuse to keep their simple shape. It seems to happen across the board, from expensive to cheap ones, not that I owned many expensive ones - seemed a waste of money to me, a contradiction in ethos. Like Armani jeans - if Armani makes them. It was not ever so. When held as flat as they will go, there can now be as much as a two-inch twist at the bottom edge. I suspect it comes from manufacturers cutting cloth to maximise output, rather than sticking to a proper ''grain" of the material. A bias, then...

Rob C

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: Conspiracy Theory
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 08:00:16 am »

Maybe the twist is hip, and you're just at the forefront of old(er) men's fashion.

Next time you're in town, check to see if any babes are checking you out. :)
--
Robert

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 10:15:45 am »

Maybe the twist is hip, and you're just at the forefront of old(er) men's fashion.

Next time you're in town, check to see if any babes are checking you out. :)

Well, they often do, Robert, but always at the supermarket desk as I try to remember my card number...

Rob

Otto Phocus

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 06:30:35 am »

If only someone could invent an apparatus to remove wrinkles from clothing after washing.  Something with heat and perhaps steam.  Something that uses heat and pressure.  I just wonder what type of metal would it be constructed out of?

Tin, Bronze, Iron?  Perhaps a Clothes Bronze, where you can Bronze your shirt?  No, that does not flow trippingly from the tongue.  I will have to work on that.  ;)
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

N80

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 08:31:33 am »

This is now true of blue jeans, even brand name Levi's as well as typical khaki dress pants. The leg seams twist. No conspiracy, just cheap material, cheap (and probably abused) labor, no quality control and low consumer expectations. The bright side is that all of this costs more too.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 03:39:39 pm »

This is now true of blue jeans, even brand name Levi's as well as typical khaki dress pants. The leg seams twist. No conspiracy, just cheap material, cheap (and probably abused) labor, no quality control and low consumer expectations. The bright side is that all of this costs more too.

Please tell me you are joking about Levi. I used to swap through Wranglers, Lee, all sorts of other mystery brands, and every one of them, except for Levi, twisted so that the outer left leg seam turned towards the front. So, for the past few decades I have remained with Levi Strauss & Co. My two existing pairs are pretty old, approaching their perfect stage where the first genuine rips happen at the knees. How will I replace them?

The twisting warps happen now with all my T-shirts, and I conclude that it's because of parsimony, and using cuts of cloth simply to maximise output per roll of material, and not quality of garment. You can't cut against the natural bias and expect things to keep shape. Even the best roll of material will fail to meet requirements if you cut it badly. Corporate greed meets new generation of directors... the old sensibilties leave and drift from real to proclaimed, instead.

I won't even get into car design, where since the end of the seventies it has been almost impossible to find a car where you see the corners or even the nose and end of the tail. Of course, this is admitted by the sale of electronic parking devices to alert you to impending disaster instead of letting your own eyes play their rightful rĂ´le. My little Fiesta is almost impossible to park parallel to a kerb if you have to do it by reversing past another parked vehicle: the rear quarter rises and removes any sense of distance to either kerb or the car behind you. It's probably why they come with plastic front and rear ends. Of course, if you don't give a hoot about kerbing your alloys, then go for it and park by your own musical scrapes. The mirrors won't help: they don't really show enough of the wheels: I often think I am hitting the kerb, and when I get out, there's about four inches of space...

Hey, it's all about modern and progressive design!

Rob
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:43:56 pm by Rob C »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 04:06:33 pm »

No one cares how we old farts look in jeans and tees. Embrace the freedom.
--
Robert

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 03:02:13 pm »

No one cares how we old farts look in jeans and tees. Embrace the freedom.

Nobody, except some of those same old farts! This one cares, up to a point. I hate twisting legs, but the T-shirts last saw an iron some years ago: I wash 'em, of course, but never iron the mothers anymore. That's freedom!

;-)

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 01:39:48 pm »

It's clearly a conspiracy, Rob, to make us old farts look ridiculous. That's why I never wear t-shirts. I do wear jeans, however, and my stonewash Haggars don't twist.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

TomFrerichs

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 02:45:09 pm »

Charlie Prose told a story of an older friend. Seems the friend was explaining to his wife that a man has to grow into his clothes over time so that they'd be comfortable; that the small holes in his tee shirt were there for ventilation. His only complaint was that he wished his shirts wouldn't smell like Pledge (a spray furniture polish).

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up