Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Affinity Photo 1.5 - RAW issues? Printing?  (Read 5397 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Affinity Photo 1.5 - RAW issues? Printing?
« on: December 15, 2016, 01:25:19 pm »

I'm tempted to try Affinity Photo 1.5 as I see it has Focus Stacking as an option (and perhaps a few other gems, Tone Mapping?) LR does not have. A few questions, though, of people who are actually using the 1.5 version...
  • Have the raw conversions from AP1.5 improved from the 1.0 Mac version? I'm referencing this review: this review from loewald.com
  • What's the printing interface like - as good as LR?
  • What's the sharpening interface like - as good as LR?
  • Would you say AP1.5's Tone Mapping is superior to LR's Blacks-Shadows-Exposure-Highlights-Whites "tome mapping"?
  • Without a visual catalogue system (like LR Library with Folder view AND Catalogue view), do you find yourself spending excessive time looking for files that are much easier to find with LR?
  • Do you find you are using AP1.5 more as an LR plugin or as a standalone raw processor?
I realize I can download and try it out, but frankly, if others have experience with the 1.5 version, "I'm listening". Besides, learning an new interface and drilling down is time-consuming. If someone has already spent the time then I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to hear about it.

Most of the online reviews are fan-boy pieces that don't drill down to the level we are used to here on the LuLa Forum.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Affinity Photo 1.5 - RAW issues? Printing?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 09:13:12 am »

I'm tempted to try Affinity Photo 1.5 as I see it has Focus Stacking as an option (and perhaps a few other gems, Tone Mapping?) LR does not have. A few questions, though, of people who are actually using the 1.5 version...

Hi Terry,

I don't know how the current Mac version compares to previous versions, because I'm on Windows, and the first official Windows version was already at version 1.5 (which apparently introduced a huge number of improvement and new features over previous versions).

My basic Raw conversions look nothing like those described in that review, but that may be due to Version 1.5 which introduced an unbound 32-bit colorspace and additional noise reduction controls (should they be needed), and the possibility to design one's own tone curve(s).

• What's the printing interface like - as good as LR?

Affinity Photo is not like Lightroom, it's more like Photoshop. Printing interface is basic.

• What's the sharpening interface like - as good as LR?

Lightroom's sharpening is not particularly good, but there is some convenience. Affinity Photo is more of a Photo Editing program, so you can use many different tools and approaches to sharpen. Besides the basic USM sharpening, there are several additional tools. AP also allows the use of Photoshop Plugins (e.g. FocusMagic, or Topaz Infocus and Detail), so you can also use those.

• Would you say AP1.5's Tone Mapping is superior to LR's Blacks-Shadows-Exposure-Highlights-Whites "tome mapping"?

Hard to say at this early stage of my getting acquainted ith AP. There are many tools available, so it's probably possible to do a similar job. The capability to work in 32-bit space certainly helps.

• Without a visual catalogue system (like LR Library with Folder view AND Catalogue view), do you find yourself spending excessive time looking for files that are much easier to find with LR?

Again, it's not Lightroom, it's a PhotoEditor. So one basically uses the operating system's File Explorer/Finder to navigate to files.

• Do you find you are using AP1.5 more as an LR plugin or as a standalone raw processor?

Neither. It's a Photoshop alternative, and pretty capable at that. Many of the controls are better designed, and there are tools that are unavailable in Photoshop.

I realize I can download and try it out, but frankly, if others have experience with the 1.5 version, "I'm listening". Besides, learning an new interface and drilling down is time-consuming. If someone has already spent the time then I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to hear about it.

While I understand, there's nothing like doing it yourself though. It's a bit like learning to drive or ride a bicycle (or sex for that matter), listening to others doesn't help that much. And practice makes (more) perfect.

Another thing to note. There is good integration between the other product offering(s). Files (usually more Vector than Raster-based images and graphic designs, amongst others Logos) made in Affinity Designer can be simply combined with the more (but not exclusively) Raster-based images in Affinity Photo.

The retouching capabilities are pretty extensive, and the multilayer stacking options look very useful.

There's a ton (actually 172 at this moment) of tutorial videos to get people up to speed, so there's something to be learned for everybody at different skill levels.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:18:32 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 04:36:10 pm »

Thanks, Bart. I'm really only interested in parametric editing and have little to no use for Photoshop or a PS alternative. I cut my teeth on PS and used it exclusively up to LR 3. But since LR 5 I,velvet my license lapse as I just wasn't using it.

That being said, the link with Affinity Design might just cause me to reconsider Affinity Photo.

Thanks again for your input.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 06:44:16 am »

Since switching from LR-CC to Capture One Pro 8 not at version 10, I have been looking for a Photoshop-CC replacement so that I can cancel my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription.

After trying Affinity Photo 1.5, I found my solution. Most of my image processing needs are met with Capture One Pro, however, Affinity Photo takes care of my occasional Photoshop needs.

As a result, I canceled my Creative Cloud subscription 2 months ago. Very Happy!!!

Regards,
Bud

www.budjames.photography
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up