Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another sensor cleaning technique.  (Read 3536 times)

Peleg

Another sensor cleaning technique.
« on: July 13, 2006, 04:12:13 pm »

I was wondering if anyone here was familiar w/ the sensor cleaning method talked about here: http://www.photoreporter.com/article.asp?i...p&articleID=548

If you've used this, how effective was it?  Any opinions welcomed.  Thanks.

bobby18301

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 07:45:24 pm »

I was wondering if anyone here was familiar w/ the sensor cleaning method talked about here: http://www.photoreporter.com/article.asp?i...p&articleID=548

If you've used this, how effective was it?  Any opinions welcomed.  Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70598\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just purchased one the other day (my almost brand new Canon D5 has major sensor dust)( I should have just returned it when I got it). Opening the box and reading the instructions I ended up taking it back. I don't like the idea of inserting a hard plastic tube into my camera chamber.

I'm tempted to just clone out the dust at this point.

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 10:12:28 pm »

A nylon sensor brush works perfectly - not to mention safely and easily - 99% of the time. In the rare case of a more stubborn item, it can be taken care of with a sensor swipe (essentially a spatula wrapped in a pec*pad and a touch of eclipse fluid) also found at the site I linked to.

Phuong

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 11:01:42 pm »

visible dust is still the best imho

Robert Spoecker

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 12:42:04 am »

visible dust is still the best imho
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70906\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well that's terse and to the point.

Could you elaborate a bit?

I am wondering why  I spent more money for less stuff when I bought from Visible Dust.

Robert

Phuong

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 01:35:36 am »

to be honest ive never used any dust cleaning solution other than visible dust's. but then i've never had anything to complain about it.
i personally dont believe in wet cleaning and definitely never like to have any thing "hard" sticking near the sensor.
visible dust' brushes work by "lifting" rather than "swiping" the dust off the sensors and this is what i like the most about it.
it's also really easy to use, and fast. blow it thoroughly for a few seconds, swipe once, blow again, swipe once more, and that's it.

VD is probably a little more expensive than other solutions, but it worths every pennies. (it's probably nothing compared to the multi-thousand gears most of us own)

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 02:20:06 am »

VisibleDust is over-priced for what you get. It's a clean nylon brush. That static property about their brushes they describe on their site is a natural property of nylon. The only thing really innovative they have is the newest version of the Arctic Butterfly and that's in terms of design.

The Pixel Sweeper is a worthwhile read and I can say from experience; it works.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 02:21:58 am by 61Dynamic »

Phuong

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 03:25:28 am »

well, it might be true, might be not. at least i feel safer with VD even if it's just illusory like he says. nontheless i dont wanna spend days sneaking around to find the right brush and some awful hours testing it.
the SensorSweep seems to be a good alternative, though. but again, as i already spent a hundred bucks on the VD i dont really feel like spending some other ten bucks for yet another sensor brush. moreover, the "sensor dust" problem, i believe, will no more be an issue in the next camera generations. (Sony and Olympus already had it. there's no reason why Canon Nikon and other manuractures should stay out of it.)
for now i'll just stick with the VD & hope in a year or two i can happily trash it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up