Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a couple Olympus testers...Anyone with a 12-40 and a few seconds...  (Read 2143 times)

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus

I need a quick test done.  I want to sample more copies than what I own...but I want to see if the latest firmware (1.3 I believe) for the 12-40 lens has a bug...or if somehow this particular lens I have is wonky. 

As of the last firmware update on the lens, I experience the following behavior...

When you pull back on the MF ring to engage the clutch (so you have hard MF stops) try to focus.  I can only focus from minimum distance to about 12 inches.  Then nothing happens as the ring continues to turn.  No manual focus out to infinity. 

If the ring is pushed BACK to normal mode, it autofocuses perfectly, and it MANUAL FOCUSES perfectly.  This only happens with the ring engaged.

This only happens on the 12-40 with the latest firmware.  Happens on any body I put it on as well.  Do you get this behavior?  Thanks so much.  The higher ups at Olympus are investigating this too but their tech team is going to call me back.  I'de love to have a larger sampling than just my copy.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Re: I need a couple Olympus testers...Anyone with a 12-40 and a few seconds...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 05:13:08 pm »

2nd level tech ran some tests and they want to see the lens.  Looks like my copy just decided to do weird things.  We'll see.  It went out today and I should have it back early next week.
Tony

Arlen

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 05:26:28 pm »

I haven't seen anything about problems with v1.3 for this lens (my copy still has v1.2), but there were problems with the v4.2 firmware update for the Oly E-M1 (mark 1) camera that was released at about the same time. Oly has withdrawn that update:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/7295931672/olympus-e-m1-owners-report-firmware-4-2-bugs
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4086175

I think I will hold off on updating the 12-40 lens firmware. I would appreciate it if you would share any further information that comes your way on the issue; and I will do the same.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 06:04:58 pm »

I haven't seen anything about problems with v1.3 for this lens (my copy still has v1.2), but there were problems with the v4.2 firmware update for the Oly E-M1 (mark 1) camera that was released at about the same time. Oly has withdrawn that update:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/7295931672/olympus-e-m1-owners-report-firmware-4-2-bugs
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4086175

I think I will hold off on updating the 12-40 lens firmware. I would appreciate it if you would share any further information that comes your way on the issue; and I will do the same.
I have not updated to firmware 4.2  since I do not have the lenses that need the update. I will hold off on the update until I am sure the issues reported have been resolved.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Beerfueled

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 07:55:56 pm »

Can you check the following setting on the camera: Custom Menu > AF/MF > MF Clutch

The behavior you describe sounds like this option is set to Inoperative, where MF would be unavailable.

I believe this was an addition in firmware version 4.0.

-larry

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 10:54:55 pm »

Yes yes I double checked all those things and more, on several different style bodies.   The clutch works... but manual focus dies after the first 12 inches.  Even on older bodies without focus limiting.  However it doesn't do this in standard manual focus mode.  Only clutch mode.  Olympus level 2 tech called me up and we ran some tests and they want to see de the lens for further investigation.  It's not firmware.  They think something is going on internally with the clutch.  Luckily pro service actually makes them super smooth to work with.  I'm really impressed how they've handled everything.
Tony

Arlen

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 11:25:43 pm »

So Tony, if you've concluded that the issue is not firmware, that would remove a possible reason not to update to v1.3 for the 12-40 lens, right?

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 09:09:43 am »

Yes, I think the firmware is good.  I've never had an issue with lens firmware from them.  I would hold off on the latest camera body firmware.  They are sorting out a bug.  It's only a very specific situation and condition that it manifests...but still.  Since you can't roll back, ide wait for a clean version.

It seems my lens probably has some crazy encoder issue or something.  It's just unusual because only part of the clutch travel is displaying it, not the rest of the travel.  They didn't think it should be doing that either, but we'll see what it comes back with. 

It may have been sheer coincidence that that this started jut after my firmware update...and it would have happened even if I did not update.  I needed to eliminate everything else though.  Again, very weird behavior for a lens based on how they work. 
Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up