Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: never direct sun-light on this river....  (Read 1679 times)

sarrasani

never direct sun-light on this river....
« on: December 13, 2016, 03:21:00 pm »

Which is your favourite (or less bad) ?
Thank you much for attention and commenting,
Sandro.
Here the 4k versions:

4k  - 1    distagon 18 with a7r

4k-2

4k-3

Film cameras (13X18, 2,4X3,6), digital-foveon and digital-mosaic cameras.
Only manual focus lenses.

sdwilsonsct

Re: never direct sun-light on this river....
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 02:13:14 am »

Hi Sandro,
An intriguing and challenging subject.
I like #3 best for the eye release in the distance. OTOH that distant mountain is very bright. The angled rocks are a strong subject. A tighter composition or crop?

francois

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 09:40:44 am »

I'm with Scott here. I find that the first two shots are neither abstract enough nor interesting (*)  (either as landscape or mineral/rock formation). I might need more time with them to change my mind but the third photo is the one that I liked immediately.

* I'd like to find a better word instead of interesting because it implies something negative or bad and this is not the case at all.
Francois

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 10:45:30 am »

I like number 3 as well, but I would crop the bright rocks in the foreground. They distract
from the rocks above them and compete with the sky. On the other hand, even my wife
doesn't value my opinion.

Regards,
Dale
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 04:30:31 pm »

I don't think any of the subjects are that interesting...maybe framing could help some  but doubtful
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 08:45:10 pm »

I don't think any of the subjects are that interesting...maybe framing could help some  but doubtful

+1 (but I'll add a Canadian "sorry"!)

It's difficult to tell, as an objective viewer, what caught your eye other than the stark rock. I guess we've been trained to be "entertained" by landscape photos. These don't entertain; I find them bland.

But...if that's what you're after – showing the blandness and uniterestingness of this landscape – you've succeeded.

They are "counter-cultural" landscapes, almost like Ed Burtinsky, but without the emotional/political agenda. I think this might just be a new genre – and I'm not saying this to be funny or condescending. We are so overwhelmed with the "trophy" landscapes that depict places at the "perfect" time. Maybe it's time for some anti-landscapes!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

sarrasani

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 06:14:53 pm »

Hi Sandro,
An intriguing and challenging subject.
I like #3 best for the eye release in the distance. OTOH that distant mountain is very bright. The angled rocks are a strong subject. A tighter composition or crop?

thank you much for attention and commenting.
No crop, and slight PP (I like to use DXO and no local editing there....).
All the best,
Sandro

sarrasani

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 06:17:32 pm »

I'm with Scott here. I find that the first two shots are neither abstract enough nor interesting (*)  (either as landscape or mineral/rock formation). I might need more time with them to change my mind but the third photo is the one that I liked immediately.

* I'd like to find a better word instead of interesting because it implies something negative or bad and this is not the case at all.

Too much kind Francois.  And thank you for your interesting (oops :)) evaluation.  Ok: or natural or strong abstract....I tend to agree...
Thank you,
Sandro

sarrasani

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 06:18:39 pm »

I like number 3 as well, but I would crop the bright rocks in the foreground. They distract
from the rocks above them and compete with the sky. On the other hand, even my wife
doesn't value my opinion.

Regards,
Dale

Very useful and interesting considerations. thank you and all the best,
sandro

sarrasani

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 06:20:10 pm »

thank you much for commenting and all the best,
sandro

sarrasani

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 06:27:50 pm »

+1 (but I'll add a Canadian "sorry"!)

It's difficult to tell, as an objective viewer, what caught your eye other than the stark rock. I guess we've been trained to be "entertained" by landscape photos. These don't entertain; I find them bland.

But...if that's what you're after – showing the blandness and uniterestingness of this landscape – you've succeeded.

They are "counter-cultural" landscapes, almost like Ed Burtinsky, but without the emotional/political agenda. I think this might just be a new genre – and I'm not saying this to be funny or condescending. We are so overwhelmed with the "trophy" landscapes that depict places at the "perfect" time. Maybe it's time for some anti-landscapes!

No fireworks and no-technicolor effects here. And I agree with you....not-trophy (at the contrary, again I agree, flat and common) and spectacular lanscape.  But I like this kind of mood and the contemplative mood/attitude one (me) can express also in this kind of image.
No problem for me if this is not "special" in the common-mainstream sense. I only hope technical values are here decent....and maybe someone else could find some humble value this "flat" panorama of ice,rocks, trees, sky.   The problem you purpose (anti-landscape) is IMHO very interesting, much more than my images here.  Thank you both for particular criticism and general problem purposing, and all the best,
sandro
Pages: [1]   Go Up