Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An interesting read?  (Read 2154 times)

Otto Phocus

Re: An interesting read?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 08:10:50 am »

Yes, it was an interesting read.  Thanks for posting it. I liked that he acknowledged that different people find fulfillment in different ways. What works for someone may not be what works for another.

People are different.  That is the one thing we all have in common.  ;D

As I have written before, I think the photography community would benefit if we paid a little less attention to what others choose to do or not do.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Ray

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 08:50:23 am »

Yes. Insightful article. I can identify with the following comment in the article:

"I think the way to find fulfillment in our photography is to seek satisfaction from ourselves— to please ourselves, and to know that we are living up to our own expectations.
It means that we are still appreciative of the feedback and comments of others, but not letting their ideas cloud our own self-judgement."

This has been my approach for many years.

Redcrown

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 10:14:38 am »

Long ago I saw a documentary on Itzhak Perlman. In an interview he was asked what was the best performance he had ever given. His response was on-topic with this article.

He said it was years ago, on a Saturday morning, when he was alone in his studio. He picked up a random violin someone had given him to evaluate and played a fairly difficult piece. He said for reasons he never understood, the piece was perfect. Better than anything he had ever done, before or since. No one heard it but him, but he said that, of the thousands of his performances, that one remains in his mind while others fade from memory. It gave him his greatest satisfaction.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 11:02:27 am »

Interesting article but the poor sod seems awfully insecure. He may need professional help.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 04:14:58 pm »

I like the shot with the brolly... hope it helps!

To me, he's speaking in tongues. I don't do 'social media' other than LuLa, if that's social media, and the only opinions I cared about were my own and my clients, the order often variable. As I now have no clients...

Yes, it can be pleasing to get positive remarks directed to something you have done, but don't forget: the remarks come after the event. You made the image first, and that's what counts to me, and is the raison d'ĂȘtre of a space such as Without Prejudice. If adulation was the objective, WP would be meaningless.

;-)

Rob

bcooter

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 05:37:25 pm »

I like the shot with the brolly... hope it helps!

To me, he's speaking in tongues............

;-)

Rob

Rob you know this, but . . .

If someone wants to improve your photography, then shoot with as little compromise as possible.

All my career I've seen photographer's and filmmakers hold themselves back.  They'll have an idea for a shoot and compromise on the production, props, or traveling to the right scene, talent whatever the idea is.

You're usually only as good as what you put in front of the camera.

If you don't have an idea then listen to music, or remember a scene from a film, or read a book, anything that inspires you.   

I have this idea for a short film I've had in my head for 10 years.   It's from a song from a very popular musician who plays it with an acoustical guitar and I've got every scene, every frame locked into my head.

The only problem is it's expensive to do it right.    The production values, even if I call in favors are about 25 to 30 grand, then licensing the music is also 15 to 25 thousand, the post work is around 8 grand in grading, plus about a month of editorial.   Any scene, or different music and it won't work.   

I've planned it about 5 times and each time got busy, which is probably good because I don't know what it will do for my bottom line other than make me very happy.

Shooting to music isn't difficult, but getting an audience to like it is.    Right off the bat half the people won't like the musician so right there you've lost half your audience.

Anyway, workshops are fine, I'm sure some people learn from them, but the best way to improve is to shoot, shoot and shoot all with an idea and purpose. 

IMO

BC

P.S.   I know one very good commercial photographer that is great at just shooting whatever he finds.   Not really street photography, but he can take one camera, one lens, zero planning, drive out to the desert and just rock out a series of stills that tell a story.

I think he is one of the most copied photographers I know and I can tell when somebody copies him, because it just doesn't look right, kind of hollow, where his work is deep, rich and original.

Now I don't know if he does it in a day or a month, never asked, but I find working like that fascinating.

N80

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 07:58:13 pm »

Interesting article but the poor sod seems awfully insecure. He may need professional help.

Agreed. Kind of reminds me of kids getting participation trophies. Reminds me of people who are too worried about what other people think. And for those sorts this article probably helps.

But, in reality, the article is too broad. Yes, fine, shoot what you like and be happy with it. If that's what you want. The doesn't necessarily work if you need to sell your work. It doesn't work if you have something to say and want as many people as possible to hear it. It doesn't work if you have an artistic vision that you want to share. It doesn't work if you're trying to change the world with your photography.

Don't get me wrong. I'm just an amateur with a big collection of amateur photos. I mostly do it for me anyway. And I have my own favorites that I find fulfilling even if no one else does. But, I still like sharing my work. I still like being praised for my work. I don't enjoy having my work criticized but I do appreciate knowing how it stands up to public scrutiny and learning from my mistakes. And I'm not going to put my head in the gas oven just because people don't like my pictures.

The real truth, maybe the sad truth, is, that my most important work is probably in the form of family pictures. Which is true of anyone who takes those sorts of pictures with Kodak Instamatics or cheap cell phones.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

N80

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 08:02:32 pm »

If someone wants to improve your photography, then shoot with as little compromise as possible.

Agreed. And for me it is the hardest part. I can have the tools, the vision and even the talent. But I rarely have the time to wait for just the right light or to come back again and again until things are just so. And for an amateur it is a matter of priority. So I can't complain.

If you don't have an idea then listen to music

Yes. Not so much for photography (for me) but I'm often inspired by music to write something.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

pearlstreet

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 02:19:13 pm »

You know, guys, if you buy that guy's photo journal all your problems will disappear- only 19.95 for a 1.00 notebook but it does say photo journal on the cover! Selling that "journal" seems to be the purpose of the article.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 03:48:40 pm »

Rob you know this, but . . .

All my career I've seen photographer's and filmmakers hold themselves back.  They'll have an idea for a shoot and compromise on the production, props, or traveling to the right scene, talent whatever the idea is.

You're usually only as good as what you put in front of the camera.

The only problem is it's expensive to do it right.

IMO

BC

P.S.   I know one very good commercial photographer that is great at just shooting whatever he finds.   Not really street photography, but he can take one camera, one lens, zero planning, drive out to the desert and just rock out a series of stills that tell a story.

I think he is one of the most copied photographers I know and I can tell when somebody copies him, because it just doesn't look right, kind of hollow, where his work is deep, rich and original.

Now I don't know if he does it in a day or a month, never asked, but I find working like that fascinating.

Hi BC,

I've edited some of the points you made in your post - hope you don't mind the surgery!

I agree 100%, and if I had to put the most important two items in any order, I'd say it like this:

1. the subject in front of the camera, and also location;

2. the cost of it.

The talent you might want to use isn't ever cheap unless it's a personal friend. Interesting locations are often hard to reach for what you may have in your mind, and always made up quite a big factor in my own budgets for shoots. Rubbish in = rubbish out. Usually.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hans+feurer+imagenes&qpvt=hans+feurer+imagenes&qpvt=hans+feurer+imagenes&qpvt=hans+feurer+imagenes&FORM=IGRE

This guy always seems to be able to do what I think is his own thing; I say that, because through the years his work is consistent, and hasn't changed very much at all, so I guess it means he does what pleases him or nothing at all.

And in his case, as third and fourth points, I'd add some bloody fatastic makeup people and stylists with amazing access.

Late seventies and he's still in demand! Sonofabitch! ;-) I wish him well for many more years of it, or until he just gets bored.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up