Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please fix the image display!  (Read 7788 times)

JRandallNichols

Please fix the image display!
« on: July 13, 2006, 09:42:26 am »

Quite a while ago there was a brief notice that thumbnails would not open except in IE Explorer, i.e., in Firefox or Netscape they came up as ASCII gobbldygook.  This is a plea to LL to please fix the website so these other popular browsers will work as indeed they used to before the change in web service.  The "workaround" mentioned earlier does not work since all it will deliver in "save as" mode is yet another thumbnail.

Not being able to open the thumbnails really closes down the usefulness of this part of the forum, and I am missing it greatly.  Many thanks.
Randy

michael

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 09:44:11 am »

We are well aware of the problem, as has been stated here before.

The only thing that we can say for the moment is that we can't figure out how to do it properly.

It hasn't been forgotten.

Michael

JRandallNichols

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 09:58:13 am »

We are well aware of the problem, as has been stated here before.

The only thing that we can say for the moment is that we can't figure out how to do it properly.

It hasn't been forgotten.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70569\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks, Michael, for the update.  Do you suppose the folks at Mozilla might have any ideas?
Randy

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 10:34:07 am »

Could you simply disable the thumbnails?  Embedding images into posts seems to work.  So there is a workaround.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 11:48:13 am »

I always post the image online and then use the IMG button, and that has always worked.

Gary Brown

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 11:49:08 am »

The "workaround" mentioned earlier does not work since all it will deliver in "save as" mode is yet another thumbnail.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70568\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The exact option wording depends on the browser, of course, but in Firefox the one you want is "Save link as...", not "Save image as...". The latter saves the actual image you're looking at (i.e., the thumbnail), while the former saves what the link points to (the full-size image).

You'll probably also need to overtype the name to make it something.jpg rather than index.php.

bjanes

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 01:06:18 pm »

I always post the image online and then use the IMG button, and that has always worked.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70581\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Very interesting, Johathin. Your image displayed properly with my Firefox browser. As I understand it, your method requires that the image to be stored on your own host site, rather than being imbedded in the message.

To test your method, here is one of my images:

Bill
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 01:07:44 pm by bjanes »

JRandallNichols

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 02:09:40 pm »

The exact option wording depends on the browser, of course, but in Firefox the one you want is "Save link as...", not "Save image as...". The latter saves the actual image you're looking at (i.e., the thumbnail), while the former saves what the link points to (the full-size image).

You'll probably also need to overtype the name to make it something.jpg rather than index.php.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70583\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the tip.  Still another couple of clicks, but yes, it does work in Firefox.
Randy

alfin

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 02:22:03 pm »

The easiest way so far for me with Firefox is to have a smaller IE window open at the same time. I right-click the thumbnail, choose 'Copy Image Location' and paste it into IE window. Clumpsy, but workable.
Lars Mollerstrom

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 05:51:37 pm »

Thanks, Michael, for the update.  Do you suppose the folks at Mozilla might have any ideas?
I believe I've described the exact problem earlier, but here's another go:

$ HEAD 'http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=807'
200 OK
Connection: close
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:37:44 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.36 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.4.2 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635.SR1.2 mod_ssl/2.8.27 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
Content-Type: text/html
Client-Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:37:40 GMT
Client-Peer: 70.86.208.210:80
Client-Response-Num: 1
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.2
As you can see, the web server misrepresents the content as "text/html". This has to be fixed in the PHP code, since it's the PHP code that's instructing the webserver about the content in this case.

My guess is that Invision has created a rather complex piece of software, which combined with the site-specific modifications means it isn't very easy to patch to do this correctly.

As for viewing these files:

Internet Explorer has a misfeature (AKA bug) that makes a guess at what something might be if it doesn't look like the content type provided by the web server. That is both stupid and potentially dangerous (it used to be an exploitable vulnerability; maybe not anymore), but it sometimes works. I find this kind of solution unacceptable, so I generally avoid using IE unless I absolutely have to (i.e. Windows Update).

Firefox sometimes plays "nice" and adds the missing HTML tags for you, so that it can render the alleged HTML "correctly".

Opera allows the "save as" workaround.

So as you can see, there is no sane reason why anybody at Mozilla might give you an answer on how to solve this.
Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up