Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom Ground Glass  (Read 4202 times)

JoeKitchen

Custom Ground Glass
« on: December 11, 2016, 04:54:20 pm »

Any recommendations on where to get a piece of custom ground glass made? 

I am changing my back to an IQ series and my current sliding back has ground glass designed for a P5+.  So the current rectangles on my ground glass will be a bit too small.  Also, KG is no longer in business, so getting it from him is not an option. 

I also would love to have something brighter and clearer then what is in their currently. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
Re: Custom Ground Glass
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 04:41:18 am »

Bill Maxwell email: maxwellprecisionoptics at yahoo dot com

Steve Hopf http://hopfglass.com/Ultrafine.htm

Kumar

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 10:27:02 am »

So there are not many great options on having custom ground glass made.

Surprisingly though, it is much easier to make yourself then I thought.  600 Grit Silicon Carbide, which is pretty cheap, and a little elbow grease is all you need. 

However, painting the lines and boxes on the glass I am not really sure what to use, like what type of paint or ink. 

Any suggestions?  Maybe an enamel based paint and fire the glass afterwards to bake it on? 

BobDavid

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 11:32:46 am »

So there are not many great options on having custom ground glass made.

Surprisingly though, it is much easier to make yourself then I thought.  600 Grit Silicon Carbide, which is pretty cheap, and a little elbow grease is all you need. 

However, painting the lines and boxes on the glass I am not really sure what to use, like what type of paint or ink. 

Any suggestions?  Maybe an enamel based paint and fire the glass afterwards to bake it on?

Use water as a lubricant when you sand down the surface. I wonder if there are different grades of glass. Tiny variations on the surface could potentially throw off focus. As for painting lines and boxes, you might consider crating custom grids in Photoshop and printing the files onto transparent media. Or, rather than painting, I think "etching" is a better idea. I'd etch the backside before grinding the front side.

BaronGros

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 09:29:07 am »

To mark the ground glass a nice sharp pencil is ideal.  Print some guides on a piece of paper to place under the ground glass to help you rule the lines.  Simple and effective and if you make a mistake you can wash the pencil off with soap and water and redo.  I've used 320 grit carborundum when I needed new ground glasses for my daguerreotype cameras.

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 10:47:19 am »

To mark the ground glass a nice sharp pencil is ideal.  Print some guides on a piece of paper to place under the ground glass to help you rule the lines.  Simple and effective and if you make a mistake you can wash the pencil off with soap and water and redo.  I've used 320 grit carborundum when I needed new ground glasses for my daguerreotype cameras.

Do you use hardware store window glass?

sgilbert

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 12:55:53 pm »

I love these kinds of thread.  "I have a sixty thousand dollar camera setup, and am looking to save a hundred dollars on a custom ground glass."

As someone who's done similar goofy DIY projects, I still can say "Huh?" 

(Several years ago, I got a GG from Maxwell.  It was perfect.  I'm not.)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 08:08:51 pm »

I love these kinds of thread.  "I have a sixty thousand dollar camera setup, and am looking to save a hundred dollars on a custom ground glass."

As someone who's done similar goofy DIY projects, I still can say "Huh?" 

(Several years ago, I got a GG from Maxwell.  It was perfect.  I'm not.)

I need the ground glass now, asap; live view kills the battery life and on the project I have right now it will greatly slow my work.  Kapture Group is out of business leaving custom the only option.  In six weeks time though (how long it would take to have the ground glass made) it may be a moot point, since the project may be finished, so making it myself is a much better option.  (Not to mention the websites of those who make it do not make me feel so great, or are on the other side of the world, or do not have a website and are difficult to contact.) 

Any way, I ordered the chemicals on Thursday, and already have it.  Tomorrow I will find the glass and paint.  By Tuesday the ground glass will be finished and ready for Wednesday, the next shoot date.   
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 08:17:17 pm by JoeKitchen »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 08:17:03 pm »

Do you use hardware store window glass?

I would have to assume it would be thinner glass.  I have a case of picture framing glass, but have to assume that that would be too thick. 

I have to assume Philly will have a glass company with glass thin enough to use. 

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 02:51:40 pm »

I think you want borosilicate glass, ideally optical flat, but if you're in a hurry not sure where you'd source. Amazon?
There are carbide and diamond tipped scribes for making lines in the glass.

I sell the Maxwell screens to my Rolleiflex customers and I can say that he's been much much faster in the last 6 months than ever previously.  Perhaps the heart surgery helped?
Rolleiflex USA

bcooter

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 04:30:31 pm »

I would have to assume it would be thinner glass.  I have a case of picture framing glass, but have to assume that that would be too thick. 

I have to assume Philly will have a glass company with glass thin enough to use.

I think we all have our quirks, though I applaude the DIY approach if it works.

If it doesn't you learned something.

It's funny I'll spend 6 grand in raid arrays in a heartbeat but just beat myself silly over buying a new computer or camera body of the same price.

Joe just a thought and you've probably explored this but couldn't you find a used Bronica for like $100 or and old toyo and have a precision glass cutter cut it to the size you want?

IMO

BC

JoeKitchen

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 05:22:30 pm »

I think we all have our quirks, though I applaude the DIY approach if it works.

If it doesn't you learned something.

It's funny I'll spend 6 grand in raid arrays in a heartbeat but just beat myself silly over buying a new computer or camera body of the same price.

Joe just a thought and you've probably explored this but couldn't you find a used Bronica for like $100 or and old toyo and have a precision glass cutter cut it to the size you want?

IMO

BC

Defiantly a nice idea BC. 

The problem, though, is not getting the ground glass, or even making it.  That's easy! 

Its making sure the lines painted on the glass are accurate to the sensor. 

I recently got hire to document the redevelopment of LaGuardia airport ... twice a month for the next five years. 

When I upgraded to the IQ260, my initial thought was just to use live view to compose any exteriors, which is not a problem with most of my work.  However, here, most of the images I am shooting are hand held with the XF and only capturing about 15% with the tech camera, but live view on my tech camera really kills the battery life. 

I need an accurate ground glass with accurate lines just because recharging batteries on this job is not a possibility. 

bcooter

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 07:45:49 pm »

When I upgraded to the IQ260, my initial thought was just to use live view to compose any exteriors, which is not a problem with most of my work.  However, here, most of the images I am shooting are hand held with the XF and only capturing about 15% with the tech camera, but live view on my tech camera really kills the battery life. 

I need an accurate ground glass with accurate lines just because recharging batteries on this job is not a possibility.

I would imagine someone could rig something like this up.

https://www.tethertools.com/case-relay-camera-power-system/

Especially in Hollywood (actually Burbank) where they rig all kind of specialty power gear.   A decent size v lock with a volt limiter could give you an hour or two of live view.

Just a thought.

BC

JoeKitchen

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 11:08:58 pm »

I would imagine someone could rig something like this up.

https://www.tethertools.com/case-relay-camera-power-system/

Especially in Hollywood (actually Burbank) where they rig all kind of specialty power gear.   A decent size v lock with a volt limiter could give you an hour or two of live view.

Just a thought.

BC

Come on BC, too much weight!  Plus, live view sucks; never liked it even on CMOS. 

My assistant and I are outside on a construction site all day, on our feet, moving fast; I got to keep to it light.  My back will thank me in my later years. 

Anyway, happy new year!

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 02:58:52 am »

If you can cut the glass to the required size yourself, many view camera ground glasses have acid etched grid lines that will not wear off. The Toyo and Wista gg/fresnel combo are quite good. But you'll need to see whether its thickness would be suitable. Send me a PM if you need one. You could also see if a Mamiya RZ gridded focusing screen can fit.

Kumar
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:23:01 am by Kumar »
Pages: [1]   Go Up