Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Basic Questions  (Read 2911 times)

John Hollenberg

Capture One Basic Questions
« on: December 11, 2016, 01:59:51 pm »

New to Capture One, coming from Lightroom:

1) How do I get equivalent to LR grid view and be able to go back to editing photo with one keystroke each? In LR this is G or D.  I see I can drag the filmstrip to be the size of a grid, but don't want to do that each time I want to switch between Grid and Develop.

2) How can I remove multiple images from the catalog (not delete, just remove reference in Capture One Catalog)?  When I select multiple images, only the "most selected" gets removed.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Capture One Basic Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 02:34:20 pm »

New to Capture One, coming from Lightroom:

1) How do I get equivalent to LR grid view and be able to go back to editing photo with one keystroke each? In LR this is G or D.  I see I can drag the filmstrip to be the size of a grid, but don't want to do that each time I want to switch between Grid and Develop.

Hi John,

Not trying to exactly emulate another tool can be refreshing. Maybe there is a benefit to using a different tool as it is supposed to be used, differently. But if I understand what you want to achieve:

On Windows:
CTRL+Alt+V toggles the image Viewer On/Off
CTRL+B toggles the filmstrip Browser On/Off
CTRL+T toggles Tools visibility On/Off

2) How can I remove multiple images from the catalog (not delete, just remove reference in Capture One Catalog)?  When I select multiple images, only the "most selected" gets removed.

Verify if you have the toggle (see attached) between Primary or All selected variants activated. Does that allow what you want to do?

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 03:14:16 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

John Hollenberg

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 03:08:30 pm »

Thanks Bart.  Answers both questions.  It is hard for me to figure out the way C1 does things, but once I find out is usually simple.

N80

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 08:14:29 pm »

It is hard for me to figure out the way C1 does things, but once I find out is usually simple.

This was my impression when I started with CO as well. Some of it was just not being familiar with it, some of it was that it was different from what I was used to, but there are also some quirks in CO that are not intuitive. I don't like this but I find that there are only a few of these and once you know the "trick" it works just fine. It took me forever to find out how to make a crop once you had selected the crop area.

The really great thing about CO is that you can set up the work area and workflows just the way you want them using the custom key command menu.

If you are inclined to set it up like other software you can get pretty close. I've got my key commands for scrolling through view options pretty much just like Aperture.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 08:27:59 pm »

Don't forget as part of you LuLa membership there are a ton of C1 tutorials available.  Most are broken up into chapters by function.  You may find these help a lot.  Once you get the hang of C1 you'll see it has a lot of power and real good control of an image.  Still, wish there was an easy way to do before and after of settings. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

N80

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 09:19:12 pm »

Don't forget as part of you LuLa membership there are a ton of C1 tutorials available.

Where are they?
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 09:32:58 pm »

Where are they?
Click on Luminous Landscape Home at the top right of this screen.  Then click on Video.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 05:34:29 am »

Don't forget as part of you LuLa membership there are a ton of C1 tutorials available.  Most are broken up into chapters by function.  You may find these help a lot.  Once you get the hang of C1 you'll see it has a lot of power and real good control of an image.  Still, wish there was an easy way to do before and after of settings.

Hi Kevin,

The problem is of course, before-and-after of what?

Besides the temporary disabling of a tool panel's settings (Option or ALT+Reset adjustments icon), the most flexible way is making a cloned variant. It also allows to do a side-by-side Multiview comparison, or an in-place forward/backward arrow key comparison, in addition to real time comparisons as the tool controls are used. The ability to promote or demote variants also allows to sort multiple variants of the same Raw file in order of preference (and helps with caching), and later remove the least preferred ones.

Adjustments that are made on Local Adjustment layers can be easily switched on/off, so that's another way one could work (doing most adjustments on Adjustment layers). But who knows, maybe the folks at Phase One can come up with something innovative.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

John Hollenberg

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 05:46:33 pm »

I must say, I like the support channel for Capture One.  I noticed a small bug, where Control-Z didn't undo a change, but Undo from the menu worked.  Opened a support case, within a day or two got confirmation that bug was reproducible and was referred to developer.  Simple and straightforward.
Pages: [1]   Go Up