Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightworks 14 available  (Read 3420 times)

fredjeang2

Lightworks 14 available
« on: December 11, 2016, 12:49:40 pm »

Hi,
As you know I like LW
Just to let you know that Lightworks #14 is available for download. Mac included.

It is a significant update for what I'm seeing because they added the possibility to
Choose between the special LW approach or a more traditional NLE implementation that
Reminds a bit Resolve 12. I hate it (it is switcheable fortunatly) but people used to Avid etc...will feel home.
Interface has been improved and new editing functions makes it even faster and more intuitive.

Film Cutting List has been added to the interchange along with AAF, EDL, OMF and XML,
Direct access to markers that was a bit hidden before,
Possibility to export P2 AVC intra, XAVC intra, XDCAM HD,
And I beleive that the Red decode allows to downgrade to 1/16 reso.
Encode DNxHD, Voice Over Tool
There is also a new proxy creator in the bin etc...

Too long to detail here but check in their twitter or youtube / vimeo about Lightworks 14.
There might have showcases.

Anyway: getting better and better.

Cheers

fredjeang2

Re: Lightworks 14 available
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 04:29:58 am »

A good point of this 14# versiĆ³n I discovered this morning is that it now allows variable framerates and not as strict as it was in terms of fps. So I did a test with different mobile phones messy framerates and all is in sync without the need to transcode. From the edits, export to a specific framerate also does not need any extra manipulation. All sync from beg to conform.
With certain Android cameras, that was a bit of an hassle because they do not really have a truth fixed framerate, even using the correct softwares to film that are supposed to assign a framerate of your choice, they are not 100% reliable.
In the I.Phone 6S same happened: for ex got a 28,571 min to 30,000 maxi with an average of 29,970. NLEs don't like that.
No need to worry any longuer?
Not really. At least I discovered that it does not always work so easily,
Specialy when 23.98 framerate. this is still a Beta version I'm testing. So...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:11:31 am by fredjeang2 »

fredjeang2

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 08:40:32 am »

More lust...
I could not understand the new implementation of the proxy so I got in touch
With the software's team to clarify the all story.
It is so simple that it was me trying to complicate:
It creates proxies. You can choose in a click to use the lowest reso available
Or stay with your media as it. The physical proxy file does not appear as such in the bin. No mess.
All you do is to decide if proxy or not, then
In conform, it swiches automaticaly to the highres
So there is no more "relink" or any of those nonsense hassles involved.
It's all "hidden", automatized with no human manipulation mistake involved.

fredjeang2

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 08:46:56 am »

Anyway, I stop because you'll end to think that I might be a Lightworks vendor...

I like it because it's british engineering...
Although I can agree with Coot that US have been produced good cars.

Gandalf

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 12:22:02 pm »

I haven't checked in on the Motion forum for a while and missed there was a new Lightworks version. Thanks Fred!

bcooter

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 05:59:26 pm »

Anyway, I stop because you'll end to think that I might be a Lightworks vendor...

I like it because it's british engineering...
Although I can agree with Coot that US have been produced good cars.

Fred,

No I don't think your a vendor, I just think you use what you like.    It's funny I find NLE's with all the bells and whistles interesting.   

A few late nights ago I looked at about 15 national and international commercials, then flipped over and watched some small cuts from about 5 movies.

All were professional, in color, effects, and titles but as far as editing the edits were just quck cuts, jump cuts and the effects were probably handled outside of the NLE.

As long as you can produce a xml, any NLE would have worked for what I watched.   

I don't like Premier because of the subscription model and with all the travel we do it's always a call to Adobe.

Reluctantly I've been learning FCP X 10.3.   So much I don't like, though 10.3 is more than an incremental upgrade, it's almost a total rewrite and though so many of the functions are almost hidden, it works well with RED footage, though it depends on what I shoot.   

If it's a small video, I grade everything first.   Might as well, because it allows me to work quickly to build the story, have options for client changes, without round tripping three times.

I would love to see a different grading suite, more along the lines of lightroom that would roto, track and blend, without wheels and clicking back and forth as you go, but that's a different animal.

IMO

BC

Pages: [1]   Go Up