Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup catalog size warning in latest version of Lightroom CC 2015?  (Read 3430 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

n/t

rseldom

Re: Backup catalog size warning in latest version of Lightroom CC 2015?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 11:31:42 pm »

Yeah I had that warning... on a catalog that had a whopping 45 images in it. Just another bug I guess.

jrsforums

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 12:50:49 am »

I just backed up using new LR on Win 10....no problem that I know of.  I must admit that I don't sit around for it to complete, as it takes a while.  I actually like the old not zipped version as it took less time.  I would later use an automated plugin the next time LR opened to zip the backup in to background.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 12:55:58 am by jrsforums »
John

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 03:45:07 am »

I actually like the old not zipped version as it took less time.
They've changed the backup format to make it larger now ? Where's the sense in that ?

Simon Garrett

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 04:40:26 am »

They've changed the backup format to make it larger now ? Where's the sense in that ?

They haven't made it larger.  Some time ago (last year or the year before, AFAIK) they started zipping the backup, which reduces the size by about  factor 4.  Any extra time taken zipping the backup is minimal on my machine.  That's not changed, and backup works for me the same as it did before the latest upgrade.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 06:05:42 am »

I just backed up using new LR on Win 10....no problem that I know of.  I must admit that I don't sit around for it to complete, as it takes a while.  I actually like the old not zipped version as it took less time.  I would later use an automated plugin the next time LR opened to zip the backup in to background.

On my machine, LR's backup of the catalog takes about a minute, including checking catalog integrity, compressing the backup and optimising the catalog.  Within that, compressing the backup is less than 15 seconds. 

I just tried compressing the catalog with Windows Explorer built-in compression (probably not the fastest compression around!) and it takes over a minute, but compresses the catalog to a smaller size than LR managed (about 60% of the size).

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 12:20:41 am »

I actually like the old not zipped version as it took less time.  I would later use an automated plugin the next time LR opened to zip the backup in to background.

Same here..  It really ought to be an option on whether to zip it or not.

I also miss TPG Lightroom Backup backing them up in the background..  Now it's only useful for the presets folder.  I even miss the way it would name the zips in one single directory by the catalog name, rather than in date-only subdirectory names.  Makes it a bit of a pain to make sure that a few different older versions of each catalog are kept, even though I now only have 2 main ones.  The only easy way to tell them apart now is by the directory size, being fortunate enough that they are quite different sizes.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 12:38:44 am by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

Simon Garrett

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 05:07:43 am »

I also miss TPG Lightroom Backup backing them up in the background.. 

I assume it was just the zip it did in the background?  I mean: if you backup in the background while the user might be doing some other LR task, then presumably there's a risk that the backup includes a partial change, and thus be corrupt.  I don't think LR uses record locking as it's designed as single-user, though I stand to be corrected. 

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 05:11:14 am »

I assume it was just the zip it did in the background?

Yep, that's what I meant to say.  They would show as tasks under the LR tasks area, although it did 1 at a time.  And one could set the frequency like the regular backups do - i.e. each start, day, week, etc.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 05:16:57 am by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

jrsforums

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 10:09:30 am »

Same here..  It really ought to be an option on whether to zip it or not.

I also miss TPG Lightroom Backup backing them up in the background..  Now it's only useful for the presets folder.  I even miss the way it would name the zips in one single directory by the catalog name, rather than in date-only subdirectory names.  Makes it a bit of a pain to make sure that a few different older versions of each catalog are kept, even though I now only have 2 main ones.  The only easy way to tell them apart now is by the directory size, being fortunate enough that they are quite different sizes.

Yep!
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up