Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson SC-P800 over feeding roll media  (Read 1922 times)

johncells

• Follow the river. . .
    • John Ellsworth Photography
Epson SC-P800 over feeding roll media
« on: December 10, 2016, 01:02:53 pm »

I just got this printer. When using 17" roll media with custom sizes 17x17 and 17x23 the printer over fed the roll by about a foot or foot and a half. If I choose to cut my media, a cut guideline is printed the foot or foot and a half from the bottom of the image. If I choose not to cut, the over feed causes the printer to leave the large space between the first and second image. If I do cut, I have to retract the roll and re-feed it for each image.

Has any one had this problem and resolved it? So far, Epson support has not offered a solution. Thanks.
John C. Ellsworth
johnellsworthphoto.com
facebook.com/johnellsphoto/
imagetalk.johnellsworth.com

Garnick

Re: Epson SC-P800 over feeding roll media
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 01:52:17 pm »

I just got this printer. When using 17" roll media with custom sizes 17x17 and 17x23 the printer over fed the roll by about a foot or foot and a half. If I choose to cut my media, a cut guideline is printed the foot or foot and a half from the bottom of the image. If I choose not to cut, the over feed causes the printer to leave the large space between the first and second image. If I do cut, I have to retract the roll and re-feed it for each image.

Has any one had this problem and resolved it? So far, Epson support has not offered a solution. Thanks.

Hello John,

This sounds like a common issue with roll stock, one that is easily fixed if it's what I think it might be.  I use this setting for roll and sheet papers, but it's critical for roll stock.  Not sure if this is in the same place on the P800, so I'm going from the SP9900 Control Panel on the printer.  Woops, I just took a peek at the P800 on the Epson site and the control panel is quite different.  However, you should be able to find this setting in the manual.  Make sure that "Paper Size Check" is turned ON!  Otherwise the printer will definitely waste some paper.

EDIT - "Has any one had this problem and resolved it? So far, Epson support has not offered a solution".  Sorry John, I hadn't read this part of your post.  Wouldn't it be interesting if what I have
                    suggested actually cures the issue?  If that is the case I should probably apply immediately for a position in the Epson Support department. 

Hope this helps,
Gary   
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 02:06:47 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

johncells

• Follow the river. . .
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 04:46:23 pm »

Thank you, Gary. I found a check box for "Scale to fit paper size" in the "Paper Handliing" pop-up menu on the "Print" window. My box was unchecked. I will check it as soon as I get another roll, due Tues or Wed. I appreciate your taking the time to post a reply.
John C. Ellsworth
johnellsworthphoto.com

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 04:55:14 pm »

Thank you, Gary. I found a check box for "Scale to fit paper size" in the "Paper Handliing" pop-up menu on the "Print" window. My box was unchecked. I will check it as soon as I get another roll, due Tues or Wed. I appreciate your taking the time to post a reply.

Yes, that's one of the options in the printer driver dialog, but not the one I was referring to.  Actually, that should always be unchecked if you expect to get a print the size you have sent to the printer.  Try it and see what happens.  It will indeed scale to the paper size, but it won't be the print size you are sending.  After you check that and see how it works, make sure you also uncheck it.  Otherwise you will not be happy with the results and you'll be posting another question ;^)  No, you will find the "Paper Size Check" probably in a sub-menu on the printer.  Otherwise, as previously mentioned, check the manual.

Gary
Gary N.

johncells

• Follow the river. . .
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 05:03:13 pm »

OK, Gary, I'll look on my printer window. Thanks for your responsiveness and help. I'll get back to you.
John C. Ellsworth
johnellsworthphoto.com

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 11:08:48 am »

Hello again John,

Here I am again with some more information.  I just communicated with Mark Segal, who is of course a very in depth contributor to this forum.  He had written an excellent review of the P800 in July, 2015 and I knew he was using this printer, so it seemed to be the place to start.  He passed along some valuable info concerning the "Paper Size Check" setting I have referred to, and how to find it on the P800.  As I thought, it is indeed embedded in the control panel of the printer and this is the path.  On the control panel display go to the "Set-Up" menu.  From there "System Administration > Printer Settings" and scroll down to "Paper Size Check".  He agreed that the default setting should be "ON", but if not then definitely check the "ON" box.  As I have mentioned, I do not know if this will solve your issue.  I am only offering this route based on my own experience, when, for whatever reason I had turned that setting OFF and then forgot to turn it back ON before running a roll paper print.  If I don't catch it in time to pause and delete that job it will indeed waste about the same amount of paper you have described.  Of course I then flatten and cut that "wasted" paper and use the 8x11.5 sheets for testing purposes.

Good luck with this John, and thanks again Mark.
Gary 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 01:12:54 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
Pages: [1]   Go Up