Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sending camera to Maxmax for IR modifying  (Read 2062 times)

Phuong

sending camera to Maxmax for IR modifying
« on: July 12, 2006, 12:59:41 pm »

i originally posted this in the latest photo thread but i find it inappropriate so i deleted it and repost it here.

i've been shooting IR for about 1 year now. all the cameras that i used, including a Canon 20D, a Sony (Konica Minolta) Dimage 7, a Sony V3 and a Sony F828, are unmodified. therefore there are many limitations to it. the 20D takes extremely long exposure, typically 15-20 seconds at f4 at ISO800. the V3 and F828 is limited to f2.8 and 1/30 sec in nightmode so everything is blownout unless i use a 1000nm filter (which means mono IR only, no false color like with the 780nm filter), or wait untill late afternoon when the sunshine is very weak. and then with the limitation of f/2.8, plus the slow speed of 1/30, it's rarely that i can get a seriously sharp image. the Dimage 7 operates just about the same as the F828 in normal mode, except that it has a small hot spot in the middle of the image.

i'm attaching an image shot with the F828. you can see it's pretty soft. it was shot at 1/13 sec at f2.2 ISO100

after seeing Michael's IR image on the first page, i'm considering sending my F828 to Maxmax for conversion. however, i'm afraid when they ship it back, i'll have to pay COD (Cash On Delivery  ). i'm asking this because i live in Montreal -  not very far from Toronto. this happened to me once before. it's ridiculous and so really frustrating. it's one of the many reasons i haven't had any of my camearas converted although i really love to. how does one get the camera back without having to pay COD? can any Canadian tell me this?

here are some of my IR photos i've jsut submitted to my newly created Pbase account at http://www.pbase.com/phuongtk .Unlike many others' IR photos that are in B&W, i mostly shoot in colour.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 05:47:25 pm by Phuong »

michael

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 06:34:46 pm »

You should include a copy of your camera serial number and a letter with your shipment to MaxMax stating that the camera originates in Canada and that it is being sent to the US for service.

MaxMax will include this information on their invoice and shipping info and you will not have to pay taxes or duties when it comes back.

Michael

Phuong

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 05:48:04 pm »

thanks Michael. that's useful information
Pages: [1]   Go Up