Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Gloves for Working  (Read 2457 times)

JoeKitchen

Best Gloves for Working
« on: December 08, 2016, 10:48:15 am »

Hello All,

I just landed a very long term construction documentation project where I will be outside on the East River starting a hour before sunrise each visit.  Needless to say, it's going to be damn cold. 

What gloves would you recommend? 

Most of the work will be captured handheld with an XF or Canon 5d system.  Currently I have been using EMS fleece glove liners, but they are not very tight fitting or exceptionally warm.  For a tech camera, perfectly fine; for this I need to be able to control the smaller shutter and aperture nobs without issue. 

What would you recommend?

Joe
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:17:55 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: Best Gloves for Working
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 10:59:39 am »

You will get a lot of different responses on this one as it's very user specfic.

I like the liner/outerglove option. 

I've had a number of different liners over the years but I'm currently using these ( I get mine at Costco )

https://www.amazon.com/Unisex-Digital-Sport-Running-Glove/dp/B00MWCTCOY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481212241&sr=8-2&keywords=head+running+gloves+men

Not bad even as stand alones while driving and such.  Decent warmth and good grip, with touch screen capacity.

The over gloves I currently prefer are wool fingerless mittens.  If you need waterproof there are other options.

https://www.amazon.com/Igloos-Mens-Sentry-Mittens-Oatmeal/dp/B0057XA2KS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481212720&sr=8-2&keywords=fingerless+wool+mittens

The long and short is you will get cold fingers :).  Depending how long you need the warmth, consider chemical hand warmer packets.
Craig Lamson Photo

JeffS

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 12:06:07 pm »

Individual preferences vary....take your gear to some outdoor shops (e.g., REI) and experiment. 

Jeff

JonPB

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 01:10:08 pm »

I recommend at least trying a pair of baseball batting gloves. They're designed to offer grip and lots of tactile feel. A pair served me very well through several Indiana winters, although I'd probably add some fingerless wool gloves if I weren't able to pocket my hands from time to time. The stretch offered by batting gloves means that they're also the only gloves that've ever fit well on my longish, skinny fingers, so that might be a bias I have which isn't suitable for you.

Cheers,
Jon

donbga

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 01:46:01 pm »

You will get a lot of different responses on this one as it's very user specfic.

I like the liner/outerglove option. 

I've had a number of different liners over the years but I'm currently using these ( I get mine at Costco )

https://www.amazon.com/Unisex-Digital-Sport-Running-Glove/dp/B00MWCTCOY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481212241&sr=8-2&keywords=head+running+gloves+men

Not bad even as stand alones while driving and such.  Decent warmth and good grip, with touch screen capacity.

The over gloves I currently prefer are wool fingerless mittens.  If you need waterproof there are other options.

https://www.amazon.com/Igloos-Mens-Sentry-Mittens-Oatmeal/dp/B0057XA2KS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481212720&sr=8-2&keywords=fingerless+wool+mittens

The long and short is you will get cold fingers :).  Depending how long you need the warmth, consider chemical hand warmer packets.
I use these gloves as well with great success, purchased from Costco. For extremely cold weather or lengthy cold weather exposure you probably need to consider an over mitten or glove too. Something that integrates with your jacket sleeve to create an air proof junction.

pearlstreet

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 02:07:45 pm »

We have that issue too, Joe. We shoot outside a lot here and it gets cold. I haven't found a perfect glove answer yet that allows easy control but this year we have added a Milwaukee Tool heated hand warmer. It has a waist band and is battery operated. I can stick my hand in there when it gets too cold. I have yet to find a glove that allows the fine control you need for camera dials so I use a thinner glove on my right hand. Hoping the hand warmer will help.

Milwaukee has a lot of heated gear that we use. The jackets, vests and hoodies are heated and ohh that's so nice.

Harold Clark

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 08:39:47 am »

Hello All,

I just landed a very long term construction documentation project where I will be outside on the East River starting a hour before sunrise each visit.  Needless to say, it's going to be damn cold. 

What gloves would you recommend? 

Most of the work will be captured handheld with an XF or Canon 5d system.  Currently I have been using EMS fleece glove liners, but they are not very tight fitting or exceptionally warm.  For a tech camera, perfectly fine; for this I need to be able to control the smaller shutter and aperture nobs without issue. 

What would you recommend?

Joe

I was looking for the same thing last week, I shoot condo construction sites and mass transit facilities from time to time, year round.  I found excellent gloves at Eddie Bauer, thin but very warm. Dexterity is very good too.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 11:13:29 am »

You can look for some winter cycling gloves from Gore, Casteli, DeFeet, Sealskinz etc. there are some that are fairly snug, wind/ waterproof and also work with touch screens.
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 06:58:20 pm »

Having tried technical gloves from many many brands, my current preference goes for gloves from Outdoor Research.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up