Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Sierra/CC Broke my color calibration somewhere  (Read 2191 times)

PaulMarcellini

Mac Sierra/CC Broke my color calibration somewhere
« on: December 07, 2016, 02:17:09 pm »

I have an Epson 7890 and many saved print files, so nothing changed. I go to print an order a month or so back and it was not right. Push the colors a bit and reprint...barely noticeable change. Do some googling and see an old post about broken profiles from an update but apparently fixed since the versions I was using. I know there was both a mac OS and CC update between my last print when things were good. I did not revert Sierra to ElCap but did try a few old versions of CC. In the meantime, I hooked up the laptop to the printer with ElCap and and older CC and downloaded the profiles and everything was perfect. So I have used it for the latest orders but was hoping the cc2017 update would fix this issue. Nope. Soo, lots of moving parts, anyone have any idea where to start? This affects my canvas and luster prints, so it appears global to my printing.

Thanks!
Paul

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Mac Sierra/CC Broke my color calibration somewhere
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 02:32:05 pm »

This may seem (and be) far too simple a possible solution but I have found that under Sierra that my custom screen profiles are not 'sticky' between restarts. I am constantly having to go into Mac System Preferences / Displays and switch from the default to my custom profile.

PaulMarcellini

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 02:49:12 pm »

Unless I am dense and totally missing something, the screen profile should not effect a previously saved and properly printed file that I have not changed. They look off in print, like dulled and shifted green, unless it is vibrant green and then it is sickly yellow. I can send that same file to the laptop and print it with same profile, just different versions of CC and MacOS and it comes out perfect.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 02:56:06 pm »

I haven't seen any reports yet indicating that the printing colour management pipeline has been broken between Photoshop CC2015.5.1. and 2017.x. Nor have I seen reports that Sierra has changed anything in Colorsync from El Capitan that would affect colour management of the print pipeline. I have not yet adopted either update, waiting to see whether the early adopters identify issues, so I cannot point to a problem in either Colorsync or Photoshop CC with these recent upgrades. Then there is also the possibility of an issue between the printer and the new OS. By process of elimination, the easiest thing would likely be to stay on Sierra and roll your Photoshop version back to 2015.5.1 to see whether that fixes the problem. If it does, we know the issue is Photoshop. If it doesn't, we know it is either with the printer or Colorsync. You may also wish to try this: Rseet Printing System and see whether it helps.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

PaulMarcellini

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 03:12:30 pm »

Wow Mark, I owe you a beer! Thanks for the idea on resetting. That did the trick it seems.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 03:17:46 pm »

Well Paul, I think I should pass on the beer much as I appreciate your gesture, because it wasn't my idea - I just recalled reading about it several days ago; anyhow, glad this helped. And I may add in general: why these manoeuvres should be necessary in the first place kind of floors me. Yet another reminder that progress remains to be made between these corporations in the science of upgrading and the art of communicating necessary advice to customers.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up