Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi, Starting a Printing business with a great Job.  (Read 1282 times)

loomitz

Hi, Starting a Printing business with a great Job.
« on: December 06, 2016, 11:04:11 pm »

Hi Everybody, i need some advice to choose a Wide formart printer i need a 44" photographic printer for the work.

The fist work im going to be doing is 758 Prints for a Hotel, the budget i have for the work is $8,300 usd, i know that maybe i going to spend more doing it but this time i will do it for start a small printing bussines, i have works like this every 6 months so i think will woth the invesment.

The 60% of the 758 prints will be B&W the 40% color.

The wide format printer in my options are:

Epson P9000
Epson P8000
i dont know much about the canon or hp.

is Epson a good wide format for start a bussines?

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:27:11 pm by loomitz »

Landscapes

Re: Hi, Starting a Printing business with a great Job.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 12:22:26 am »

Wait... you need to produce 758 prints and you need to deliver this for $8,300???  This works out to just under $11 per print.  Unless these are 8x10 or smaller prints, how are you going to make money?

loomitz

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 12:59:43 am »

you are right, i will re-do the math.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 07:56:56 am »

Yes, something does not sound right.

Just finished a 125 batch of metal framed canvas for our local hospital and it came to $21,747.

I run a 9890 and 9900 and find them to be all I need. Not the fastest but fast enough.
I recently purchased the low mileage 9890 for $1500. So some good deals are still available.
You might want to check around for a good used one in your area. Just be careful if you go that route.

Some pretty good prices around on new Canon and HP, not sure about Epson.
Also do not let the mounting and framing part of this new project get away. It was 75% of my job.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 10:40:50 am by Dan Berg »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 08:20:49 am »

Yes, it's seriously important to redo the math. The factors you need to include in your pricing are amortization cost of the printer on a per print basis (adjusted for size of print), utilities consumed for running the printer, paper, ink for prints, ink for maintenance, an allowance for maintenance costs and an allowance for wastage. This is all before we get to the value of your time for doing the work. You say you need to buy a 44" carriage printer for this work, so I take it from that very large format prints. For sake of illustration let us assume that your average print size will be 44*34 inches (twice a 17*22 inch print on each dimension) including a one inch border all around for both. The calculation I've done for producing a 17*22 inch print taking most of the above-mentioned factors into account using my Epson 4900 printer and Ilford Gold Fibre Silk paper (there is more expensive, but this is fine), is about CAD 11.40 per print without any labour charge. At today's exchange rates between CAD/USD that would be about USD 8.75 per 17*22 inch print. Scaling that up to a print size of about 44*34 inches, for example, you would need to multiply this value by about 4.5, bringing you close to USD 40 per large scale print. Now of course costs vary depending on the paper, the printer, your production volume and the ink usage for the conditions at hand, but this gives you a reasonable framework to start from. And your time will be needed for arranging and administering the job and minding the printer. These things don't just work only on auto-pilot - they need some attention during the processing. Then there is a question of who pays the packaging and transportation.

Concerning the printer, which to buy has become a real topic of research these days because with the new crop of printers from Canon and Epson, the output quality is very competitive, so the choice of machine, especially for commercial purposes, depends on comparative reliability for routine operations, service and supplies. You should be studying the features of these printers, asking a lot of questions and pulling in as much information as you can find in order to make an informed business decision. All these printer models (Epson 9000, Canon Pro-4000 for example) are quite new so operating experience is relatively limited, but still there may be enough experience out there to help make an informed decision. It's your key investment for this business, so worth some time. Small differences of price may not be as important as serviceability, recurrent operating costs and performance efficiency differences between eligible models.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 09:27:23 pm »

I'd rethink your business model. I like the idea of purchasing a used 9890 or even a 9800. As mentioned earlier in the thread, unless you have extensive experience with wide format printers, you might want to go another route. Epson printers keep track of usage and rank the condition of several  components. I'm sure Canon and HP printers do too. There are a lot of YouTube tutorials. User manuals are probably available online. 

If I were going to start a printing business, I'd want to research the local market. After all, OfficeMax, Staples, tons of FedEx Stores, and quickie print businesses have wide format printers on site. Ink, paper, maintenance, color management, wastage, leaning curve, a clean environment, and even reliable electricity or lack thereof (use a UPS) are parts of the equation. Then there is the issue of packaging and the delivery of product. Deadlines?

I don't see how it would be possible to run a viable business with just a large format printer unless you are able to provide other value added services.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:31:08 pm by BobDavid »
Pages: [1]   Go Up