Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mushroom Curves  (Read 1169 times)

bob_noble

Mushroom Curves
« on: December 06, 2016, 06:13:03 pm »

There is a fallen tree behind our house that has one or two large mushrooms on it in the late fall. They are quite large and are usually higher than eye level so it is possible to get good detailed looks at the gills and stalk. This picture is one of many that I took of this year's mushroom that showed its beautiful curves and textures.

Harald L

Re: Mushroom Curves
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 07:52:23 pm »

The concept of making a detail picture with a lot of S-curves converging to a circle is quite nice but it seems that you've choosen the frame accidentally. I'd like to demonstrate the hidden content of your picture by a rotated crop, if you agree to tamper with your picture.
Glad to be an amateur

bob_noble

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 09:14:55 pm »

Please go ahead.

marton

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 10:26:13 pm »

First thing I thought was 'Edward Weston'

Harald L

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 04:21:52 am »

Please go ahead.

Here you are. Just as an idea. If you go for a re-shooting you should consider focus stacking.

Glad to be an amateur

bob_noble

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 11:52:30 am »

Here you are. Just as an idea. If you go for a re-shooting you should consider focus stacking.

It makes it look as if the curves are flowing out of the stem rather than into it. I will have another go at it. As far as re-shooting - alas it has been picked. Even if it was still there, focus stacking would have been difficult. The mushroom was above my head with heavy brush underneath so a tripod was virtually out of the question. I could have done hand-held stacking but I was standing on another limb in a light snow storm so keeping steady was probably impossible especially given my fragile age.

Thanks for your input Harald. :)

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 12:00:11 pm »

Harald cheated, he added the magic of a square crop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up