Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 and ServProg  (Read 1416 times)

walter.sk

Epson 4900 and ServProg
« on: December 06, 2016, 05:45:48 pm »

I had to be traveling for 6 weeks and when I returned, my 4900 didn't have even 1 nozzle free (of course--it's what I have grown to expect from my printer)  Running 3 C3 cleanings didn't do anything, even waiting overnight before the 3rd one.

I'm thinking that I should try the routine to flush the tubes and recharge the heads.  The instructions say to select the operation, remove the ink cartridges and hit Run, but when I removed the carts the warning light came on and even after closing the cartridge doors there was no way to run the routine.

Any thoughts?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson 4900 and ServProg
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 07:36:28 pm »

Yes. Call a properly qualified technician to get it up and running again, or if you think perhaps the time has come, donate it to a group that will recycle it and buy a new printer.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 02:18:23 pm »

Well, before donating the printer, I would like to try the Ink Eject and Initial Charge routine.  What I requested may not have been clear, but I am asking for on how to do it.  The instructions given in the Service Program software say to remove the ink carts before the Ink Eject routine, but the printer doesn't let the routine run if the carts are removed.  I have searched threads here that talk about using the Ink Eject routine but they don't indicate how to do it properly, so I am asking for help with that.

I will call Epson if running Ink Eject and Initial Charge doesn't help.  However, I am on a very fixed income now and cannot budget for a home visit from a tech, and I am in no position to carry the printer downstairs to take it in to a repair shop.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:22:16 pm by walter.sk »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 03:08:36 pm »

Sorry to hear about your constraints Walter. In principle what you propose to do could get the printer back into fine operating condition (at a considerable cost in ink) but those materials (the service manual and the software) were written for trained technicians, are Epson's IP, not intended to be in the public domain and therefore may not be the most recent or correct/useful versions. This may be at the heart of your problem and unfortunately I have not had the direct experience with this to help on your specific request. However, there would appear to be a fair bit on this over the Internet, for example: Purge and Recharge Epson 4900. Perhaps check through some of it and see whether it helps.

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:51:45 pm »

Thanks, Mark.  I found some hopeful information through your link.  There's a guy who filled empty carts from InkjetMall with Windex and ran several C3 cleaning cycles and had complete success with really nasty clogs.  A kit of empty reusable carts plus syringes and funnels runs about $250.  If it works as well for me as it did for him, it's a small price to pay, and if it doesn't, I'm not that much more in the hole.  Got my fingers crossed...

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 09:55:56 pm »

OK Walter, do keep us informed how it works out. One thing I've been told to avoid is getting Windex into the printhead - I understand there are some laminates that may not like Windex.
Pages: [1]   Go Up