Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imageprograf Pro-1000 ink used in routine maintenance question  (Read 1218 times)

alancmead

Imageprograf Pro-1000 ink used in routine maintenance question
« on: December 06, 2016, 04:01:03 pm »

I have been reading about the Canon ImagePrograf Pro-1000 and even after much reading still wonder about the ink used in normal printer maintenance as part of the built in clog prevention measures. I have read complaints about it being excessive (I know this is always subjective) and wonder if any owners can share from their experience. I am not asking about cost per print or anything like that; but experience of ink usage for the normal and ongoing printer self maintenance. Thanks!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Imageprograf Pro-1000 ink used in routine maintenance question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 04:41:49 pm »

That kind of experience is not available because Canon does not make the data available. There is a Pro-1000 utility for tracking the amount and cost of ink laid down on paper, but not the volume and cost of ink consumed in under-the-hood maintenance, so any estimate of this would come only as a result of careful input:output and inventory tracking over a long period of time, or "impressions", which truly aren't worth much.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

maximilian59

Re: Imageprograf Pro-1000 ink used in routine maintenance question
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 03:34:25 pm »

Hello, it seems that ink usage is one of the main discussion points on this printer. I made for myself a rough calculation. I am from Germany so all ist in Euro.
A complete set of 12 cartridges is about 550,00. Estimated, that somewhat 30% are not printed on paper, you get rounded 800 Euro per liter.
As an average I have 0.9 ml per A4 print and 1.6 ml per A3+ print or
A4: 0.72 €
A3+: 1.28 k
Ink per print.
The paper I use at the moment is 1€ for A4 and 2.20€ for A3+.
The printer was 1.100€, a printhead costs 450€. If it is possible to make 3000 with ohne additional printhead and several waste cardridges it may sum up to 1800€ or 0.60€ per print (if you ever make so many prints).
Summary
A4: 2.32€
A3+: 4.08€
Money for inks is about 31%. Using expensive fine art paper makes this percentage even lower.
Compared with the printer costs it is most expensive not to print. Sometimes I find the discussion is like: I bought a Maserati, but I cannot drive with it, because it consumes to much fuel.
So I showed to my wife how to print from her tablet and mobile phone on a cheaper paper. At every possible moment we now give away prints to our friends instead of sending picture files. We found out, this printer is so good you don't have to bother about colour management when printing from mobiles.
Let the good print be with you.
Maximilian
Pages: [1]   Go Up