Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lee "Big Stopper" & "Super Stopper"  (Read 7068 times)

JoeKitchen

Lee "Big Stopper" & "Super Stopper"
« on: December 06, 2016, 10:15:04 am »

I was just hire for a pretty intense construction documentation project and they will need not only the standard overall site images for reports, but also artistic images of the construction. 

I plan on buying the Lee Big and Super Stoppers. 

Will I need to worry about light leaks where the back attaches to the camera? 

Also, I use a sliding back on my Arca; will this be an issue with light leaks? 

If yes to either, what is the best way to overcome this? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Graham Welland

Re: Lee "Big Stopper" & "Super Stopper"
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 12:03:50 pm »

In my experience gaffer tape is your friend, even around the edge of the filter and filter holder. I've never had a leak issue between the back and the back adapter but still use gaffer tape around that edge just for insurance. I've even used a beanie hat over the back in the past.

Also be careful of rear reflection on the stopper/super stopper too. When using technical camera lenses such as the 32HR, I've had to seriously flag the lens from even oblique potential side lighting.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:10:26 pm by Graham Welland »
Graham

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 01:23:33 pm »

I'd suggest the new Wine Country Camera Filter Holder system. Most other filter holders will leak at this high a level of scrutiny/filtration.

There's a very simple test for whether your back mount (including sliding back) is tight enough for a given level of filtering... put the lens cap on (and then rubber band dark fabric around the lens to boot) and then take the longest exposure you can imagine needing to make in the brightest environment you can imagine needing to make it. Do the same in a pitch black room (preferably at a similar ambient temperature). Compare the two to look for signs of leakage.

Ultra ND is a weird thing. A 10 stop ND filter blocks all but roughly one in a thousand photons. Throw a second 10 stop filter in front of the first and you're at one in a million. There's a lot of material you'd think was "opaque" that lets more than one in a million photons through, and an incredibly minor light leak (e.g. small crevice that has several infolding hard angles) can start to show when you're at that level of scrutiny. For example there are parts of the older Phase One DF+ body that showed light leak when you were in bright sunlight shooting with a dozen or two stops of ND filtering; these wouldn't show without ND filters even if you pointed a strobe head directly at the body.

Bias alert: we are a Wine Country Camera dealer

Note: gaffe tape is a great general tape for this. But beware if using it for all ND-related needs. Gaffer tape will be less opaque than some of the ultra strong ND filters.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 01:27:46 pm by Doug Peterson »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 02:06:04 pm »

Is that product shipping?  i’ve been following them on their site for a few months now, and it still says pre-order.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 03:20:09 pm »

Is that product shipping?  i’ve been following them on their site for a few months now, and it still says pre-order.

Deliveries should start 10 days from today. We only placed them on the website a couple days ago, so if you order today you'll be the first to receive one :). Assuming you have need for a 86mm and 72mm thread size adapter our DT Exclusive bundle is the best value you'll find.

sc_john

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 06:51:28 pm »

Doug,

I thought the original concept of Wine Country included a bracket that fit over the ND filters to negate the need of gaffer tape. Is this still included or was it dropped?

John

Doug Peterson

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 06:55:54 pm »

Doug,

I thought the original concept of Wine Country included a bracket that fit over the ND filters to negate the need of gaffer tape. Is this still included or was it dropped?

John

Those are the "ND vaults" in the Wine Camera Country section of our store.

sc_john

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 07:54:53 pm »

Ahhh. Thanks.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 05:53:08 pm »

To bad it's only 100mm

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 07:43:12 pm »

Doug,
Is there an adapter ring for a 105mm lens as it would be nice if you could use the Wine Country system with the 40-80 Phase One zoom?

JoeKitchen

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 09:04:33 pm »

Today I received the Big and Super Stoppers and gave them a test drive. 

First, I was very surprised there was no light leakage any where on my camera.  I kind of figured the Arca body would be perfect, but felt there could be potential of light leakage in the sliding back. 

Anyway, I can see the Big Stopper being a huge advantage with the project I bought it for.  It took a 1/125 to 8 seconds and made the clouds look nice.   

The Super Stopper was overkill and I feel it is going to be more limited in its use.  1/125 becomes 4 minutes according to Lee's chart.  The filter does come with a note saying the filter could be off by as much as 2/3 a stop.  Consider what 4 minutes gave me, I think mine is closer to 16 stops then 15.  Plus, my primary source of over exposure was the clouds.  However since they were moving, the highlights never stayed in the same place long enough to be an issue (as fast).  I probably could have gotten 8 to 10 minutes without any problems. 

Doug Peterson

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 11:15:04 am »

Doug,
Is there an adapter ring for a 105mm lens as it would be nice if you could use the Wine Country system with the 40-80 Phase One zoom?

The system is designed around 100mm filters. So lenses that require a 105mm filter will not work (i.e. would heavily vignette).

I'll pass on your request for a "big brother" version that would handle the oddball oversized lenses like the 40-80.

camgarner

• cgarnerphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 05:46:49 pm »

Thanks Doug,
The system would not work for me then as my go to lens for long exposure seascapes is the 40-80.  Thanks for passing along the need.

Popdoc

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 08:33:07 am »

For a newbie, can you recommend a type and size of gaffer tape you prefer, along with it's source?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeKitchen

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 01:51:43 pm »

Gaffer tape is all pretty general and uniform.  It is pretty much like duck tape, only less sticky and gooey, does not leave a residue (a big negative on duck tap), made of cloth, but is much more expensive. 

Any serious (professional) camera store or theatrical supply should have it to sell. 

Doug Peterson

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 09:46:28 am »

Easier to show than to read:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpXq2YQ2Yh0

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 01:37:19 pm »

The system is designed around 100mm filters. So lenses that require a 105mm filter will not work (i.e. would heavily vignette).

I'll pass on your request for a "big brother" version that would handle the oddball oversized lenses like the 40-80.
My situation as well.  would love to see a big brother version.  Also might work on the Rodie 28mm ...

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 02:01:50 am »

+1

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 09:32:34 am »

I need a solution for the Schneider 240mm LS BR. It has an 86mm thread. It should be fine with the 100mm filters.

The problem is that the built in lens hood extends out over the lens just enough so the Lee adapters for the 100mm and screw on for the 150mm filter holder will not screw on. The lens needs an adapter that extends past the lens hood into the lens filter threads.

One suggestion from my thread for a solution suggested http://www.skgrimes.com and I will check that out.

Maybe Red Wine would like to tackle the 240mm and the Schneider 28mm, that would be fantastic.
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 10:37:01 am »

Lee makes an adapter for the Schneider Kreuznach 28mm for the Lee 150mm system.  For the 240 your best option currently is to buy some 86mm screw-in filters.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up