Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dry Mount necessary to eliminate ripples?  (Read 7041 times)

edt

• http://www.etimages.com
Dry Mount necessary to eliminate ripples?
« on: December 06, 2016, 08:57:05 am »

One job I print and frame is high school sports posters. Several years ago we had a problem with ripples or waviness in the frame behind the glass. We were printing both mat and RC papers at the time, on Epson 7900, framing them 18x24 behind glass. We need these to look good but there are budget constraints so we are not concerned about archival standards... The prints that had to be re-framed because they were rippled were largely printed from rolls--and the prints had a lot of curl which made them frustrating to align with the mount board when dry mounting. We printed our most recent batch on sheets of Epson Legacy Baryta. They not only looked great but the sheets were as flat as the mount board--very easy to keep aligned with the board when placing into the heat press. Got me to thinking maybe this paper would not get wavy over time anyway? If not, we can eliminate dry mounting if it's not necessary to assure paper flatness. We have one print framed now in the studio with no dry mount as a test but "one does not a test make." Any thoughts from those with more experience will be appreciated.
Ed

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Dry Mount necessary to eliminate ripples?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 06:18:29 pm »

The prints are probably just sagging under their own weight. Use sticky board.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 07:09:47 pm »

How were you mounting the prints to the mat board???
Regards,
Ron

edt

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 10:44:25 am »

The worst of the rippling (which caused a couple of customers to return for re-framing) I attribute to using RC, Epson Premium Lustre. It wasn't a gentle curl across the  width of the print--we had multiple ripples or waves, like parallel ocean waves ;-). That's what drove us to begin dry mounting, which has all been done with either Kool Tac or Gilman's version (both specify 160F heat setting on dry mount press, and only require 30-120 seconds in the press). After we had the bad experience with the RC paper we began to dry mount all the framed sports posters, even when printed on Hot Press Natural.

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:11:42 pm »

Ripple is especially bad in Florida due to high humidity. I have little choice but to dry mount.

edt

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 07:23:00 am »

All this said, my question is does anybody have experience to know whether Epson Legacy Baryta (or it's equivalents, ie, Canson, etc) is capable of ripple? Sheets sure are flat coming out of the printer.......

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 08:41:45 am »

We eliminate the dry mount by using Seal's Print Mount Ultra.
It can easily be accomplished manually. We only use the laminator on larger prints.
We use all gator here but for smaller work you could use foamcore if you wanted.
Cut a piece of the mount adhesive, burnish it on the board. Flip over and trim with a razor.
Peel an inch of the adhesive liner back and stick your print. Burnish it down flip over and trim.
Takes 5 minutes, maybe 10 the first time.Still must be careful as it is not repositionable.
Works great on everything except hi-gloss papers. No Pictorico or Ilford hi-gloss film, metallic not good either.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:45:22 am by Dan Berg »

framah

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 09:23:15 am »

An easier way to mount is to use a board of anything that is LARGER than the print!!

No more trying to exactly line up the edge of the print to the edge of the board. Mount it and then trim the excess with an exacto knife.

I do this for a living and it is way easier and quicker than futzing aorund aligning the edges only to have it accidently stick where you DON'T want it.

Also, rather than trying to find a paper that won't ripple... no such thing by the way... dry mount all of them and be done with it. 

Elements like humidity and heat... things that are out of  your control once in the customers house... are eliminated.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 12:13:21 pm »

framah, can you comment on the compatibility of modern plastic coated inkjet media and drymounting?  In particular, which mounting tissues work well and what temperatures we should aim for?  I'm about to embark on a drymount project, mounting up to 40" wide and I've not done it for years.  It's a large-ish Seal press.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 03:53:45 pm »

Hi Dan!

OK...Print Mount Ultra.  EXPENSIVE!  When compared to say adhesives from Coda and Drytac.  Almost three times the cost for 51" x 200'.

So is it worth it?  I'm guessing the answer is Yes, since you seem to be using it it.

I'm asking because the QC of a well known white center adhesive has gone to Hell and stayed there.  Company name begins with a "D".  Very bumpy adhesive surface, ripples, the whole deal.  New factory? Bad batch?  I dunno...

I'm mounting a lot of RC papers and the 10 mil substrates show the tiniest imperfections in the adhesive.  And black Gatorfoam has been coming through with more little dents than ever.  I'm hoping that Print Mount Ultra will be a fix-all.  It would be worth it if Ultra could eliminate the 20% wastage I'm getting now from defects in adhesives and on Gator.  I'm kinda desperate here in my busiest weeks.

THX as usual.  It's great you've been sharing this information.  I know the learning curve has not been cheap or easy for you.  We're all lucky you're there.

deanwork

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 04:02:40 pm »

Can one find an inexpensive big dry mount press online these days? I have one that will go up to 16x20 but that isn't big enough for many things. I'd like to be able to go up to 24x36 or so.

john

Hi Dan!

OK...Print Mount Ultra.  EXPENSIVE!  When compared to say adhesives from Coda and Drytac.  Almost three times the cost for 51" x 200'.

So is it worth it?  I'm guessing the answer is Yes, since you seem to be using it it.

I'm asking because the QC of a well known white center adhesive has gone to Hell and stayed there.  Company name begins with a "D".  Very bumpy adhesive surface, ripples, the whole deal.  New factory? Bad batch?  I dunno...

I'm mounting a lot of RC papers and the 10 mil substrates show the tiniest imperfections in the adhesive.  And black Gatorfoam has been coming through with more little dents than ever.  I'm hoping that Print Mount Ultra will be a fix-all.  It would be worth it if Ultra could eliminate the 20% wastage I'm getting now from defects in adhesives and on Gator.  I'm kinda desperate here in my busiest weeks.

THX as usual.  It's great you've been sharing this information.  I know the learning curve has not been cheap or easy for you.  We're all lucky you're there.

bill t.

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 07:39:37 pm »

I have a Seal 500 T-X which is an excellent drymount press.  Bought it for about $800 used but mint a few years ago. It's something like 26 x 34 (sorry, it's in the garage) with a opening gap big enough to handle prints about 32" tall by any length in a single row of sections, or much larger with multiple rows.  Listen to what framah says about an oversize top sheet.  Moving that heavy monster around is difficult in the extreme.

Be careful: that's one of the earliest models with a really good thermostat that doesn't swing wildly between too-hot and too-cold.  A lot of older presses I have used over the years could swing the temperature around enough to blister RC paper or even glossy rag paper at the extreme high end of the swing...had to always do a printless heat-soak press to guard against too much temperature build up.  You can buy compact digital temperature readers small enough to fit into the opening of a typical drymount press.  Recommend you "scan" the interior with one of those before you buy a used press.  Also, a lot of old presses are severely scratched on the platten, which is not usually a problem if you use a cover sheet.  And most older presses will need to have the foam compression pad replaced.  And most used presses on ebay look to me like worn out trash.  Best used sources for used presses are framers going out of business.  Worst source is t-shirt companies, where drymount press abuse is out of control.

FWIW, if you always preheat the print and mounting board to drive out the moisture and let them cool down a minute before doing the actual mounting press, your print will stay mounted just about forever.  I have some pieces I mounted that way in the 50s that are still nicely attached, but a "steamy" mounting attempt will be short lived.

edt

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 10:38:05 pm »

Framah,
I agree--might as well go ahead and dry mount. I was hoping to avoid it but it's cheap insurance for my products in my price range. I can't frame 10-20 posters and risk multiple returns 6-12-24 months later (and the thought of knowing that all those customers and likely others had been looking at a print they were unhappy about for months before they got around to returning for the repair)

Peter,
I use Kool Tac or their competitor's equivalent from Gilman. The temp setting is 160 and you only leave the print in the heat press for 30-120 seconds.

Somebody mentioned needing to mount a print on board larger than their press. While I rarely have that problem it's no problem for me to put one end inside the press for a minute or two--take it out and put the other end in. No issue with that.....

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 05:49:24 am »

Hi Dan!

So good to see you are alive and well, missed your wisdom expertise and humor.
I do almost no rc papers maybe due to the fact that they are so difficult to mount perfectly.
Being primarily a canvas guy like you I use miracle muck on gator and from a cost standpoint it cannot be beat. Yes almost all the Seal products are expensive.
No dry mount press here but I do have a Knight 17x25 hot press for dye sub.
Turn down the heat and adjust the time and it works great as a dry mount press.
Not sure of any short comings but it does work if needed.
Again, welcome back.

deanwork

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 08:10:21 pm »

Thank you Bill,

That was very helpful. They are do damn heavy, that is my only hesitation about buying one and having it shipped. So hard to return.

On my old Seal I have always put one sheet of 2 ply smooth rag board on the top and one on the bottom, preheat it, and I've never had a problem mounting anything.

To be honest I don't trust the cold mount process, because of de-lamination issues, and I've never gotten to the bottom of the longevity of these various adhesives. I do know that the traditional seal thermo plastic dry mount tissues were tested thoroughly by RIT labs and they found that silver prints actually tested better dry mounted than not, because of their protection against acidic compounds coming through the back of the print. There was a lot of confusion about how Ansel Adams, Paul Caponigro, Ralph Gibson dry mounted their portfolios in the 70s . But after the RIT tests of the 90s it actually seems very save for museum standards, and certainly nice t hold in your hands.

Anyway I'm starting to do some of my own framing and would like to be able to do some of the mounting at least. The really big stuff I still don't know what to do. I called the big lab Laumont in NY several times, that does mounting for all the big shots in NY and they would never give me any info on the longevity of their mounting, and they do it for all the major museums there. They always said they would call me back with figures, but they never did. I gave up completely trying to find out data on cold mount stability. If you look online they best you will find is some statement saying "acid free" and some use the worthless adjective "archival". There is just no reliable info on anything but the traditional thermo plastic dry mount process, unless you want to wet mount with polyvinyl acetate book binders glue, with a heavy weight on top. I'm going to try that on metal, but unless you work very fast you are in for rippling. However once it is down it is down.

john

quote author=bill t. link=topic=114928.msg947667#msg947667 date=1481243977]
I have a Seal 500 T-X which is an excellent drymount press.  Bought it for about $800 used but mint a few years ago. It's something like 26 x 34 (sorry, it's in the garage) with a opening gap big enough to handle prints about 32" tall by any length in a single row of sections, or much larger with multiple rows.  Listen to what framah says about an oversize top sheet.  Moving that heavy monster around is difficult in the extreme.

Be careful: that's one of the earliest models with a really good thermostat that doesn't swing wildly between too-hot and too-cold.  A lot of older presses I have used over the years could swing the temperature around enough to blister RC paper or even glossy rag paper at the extreme high end of the swing...had to always do a printless heat-soak press to guard against too much temperature build up.  You can buy compact digital temperature readers small enough to fit into the opening of a typical drymount press.  Recommend you "scan" the interior with one of those before you buy a used press.  Also, a lot of old presses are severely scratched on the platten, which is not usually a problem if you use a cover sheet.  And most older presses will need to have the foam compression pad replaced.  And most used presses on ebay look to me like worn out trash.  Best used sources for used presses are framers going out of business.  Worst source is t-shirt companies, where drymount press abuse is out of control.

FWIW, if you always preheat the print and mounting board to drive out the moisture and let them cool down a minute before doing the actual mounting press, your print will stay mounted just about forever.  I have some pieces I mounted that way in the 50s that are still nicely attached, but a "steamy" mounting attempt will be short lived.
[/quote]

danielduarte01

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 06:50:54 am »

You printed posters on baryta!

Luster sheets, keep it simple. Once it's behind glass no one will tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edt

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 09:00:16 pm »

IF you have a week for the RC to outgas before putting behind glass.....

bill t.

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 06:25:35 pm »

IF you have a week for the RC to outgas before putting behind glass.....

When I was dry mounting RC papers a few years ago, I found that between the heat applied by first pre-pressing the print, and then a moment later by actually mounting it, most of the hazing liquid was driven off.  In that case an overnight delay prior to mounting was sufficient to prevent out gassing onto the plex glazing, versus three to four days in a fan breeze for hinged or cold adhesive mounting.  I presume the cover sheet absorbed most of the haze stuff.

I also found that RC paper prints from various Epson 78xx and 98xx printers could take long heating times and surprisingly high temperatures without seeming harm.  Blistering wouldn't start until temps reached something like 220F, at which point damage was quick and severe.  I have a lot of old posts about dry mounting, don't have the time to look for them right now.

edt

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 09:33:23 pm »

Good to know, and interesting. How can you tell when the gases are "driven off?"

bill t.

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 02:33:37 am »

Good to know, and interesting. How can you tell when the gases are "driven off?"
Lay a piece of glazing over the print for a few hours. Or put in a baggie. Check for hazing.  With the Epson K3 inkset I noticed the edges of a freshly made RC print would exhibit ripples when placed on a flat surface, then gradually unripple over a few days as the print dried.  A flat print was a pretty good indication of a dry print.  However that doesn't seem to be the case with my Canon printers.

You can usually sense steam coming off a print as soon as it is removed from the drying pre-press step.  It will be limp and curly for a few seconds, then almost immediately flatten out.  With a paper print that's water vapor absorbed from the air, with an RC print that might be glycol or whatever the inkset uses as a solvent.  Presumably a lack of steam means a dry print.
Pages: [1]   Go Up