Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Pro 10 and Deconvolution Sharpening  (Read 13255 times)

FrankStark

Re: Capture One Pro 10 and Deconvolution Sharpening
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 09:49:28 am »

I may have made my life unnecessarily complicated by recently purchasing inFocus, in addition to Detail and Focus Magic I already use. I ordinarily do initial sharpening with Focus Magic, and "creative sharpening" with Detail, and let QImage ultimate take care of final sharpening. I tend to stay away from any sharpening in Capture One. What does inFocus do that is special or different than what I am already doing? I tried it on a blurry image or two taken from a speeding bus, and did not accomplish much. As far as initial sharpening is concerned, Focus Magic seems simpler.

Thanks
Frank
"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others."  David duChemin

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 11:56:15 am »

I may have made my life unnecessarily complicated by recently purchasing inFocus, in addition to Detail and Focus Magic I already use. I ordinarily do initial sharpening with Focus Magic, and "creative sharpening" with Detail, and let QImage ultimate take care of final sharpening. I tend to stay away from any sharpening in Capture One. What does inFocus do that is special or different than what I am already doing? I tried it on a blurry image or two taken from a speeding bus, and did not accomplish much. As far as initial sharpening is concerned, Focus Magic seems simpler.

Hi Frank,

Sometimes InFocus does a better job than FocusMagic, but it is more prone to generating artifacts as well (when using too large a radius). Its "Estimate" mode can be good for more complex types of blur. However, most of the time it's hard to beat FocusMagic, especially when Topaz Detail is also available to enhance detail at various sizes. Qimage is the topping of the cake, excellent for all things output.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:15:33 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

FrankStark

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 12:03:47 pm »

Thanks, Bart.
"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others."  David duChemin

smahn

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 02:46:39 am »

One thing that the Topaz products do that Focus Magic doesn't is work with Smart Objects, which I like.

Bart, how does the Deblur aspect of Topaz Detail relate/compare to InFocus?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 08:49:33 am »

One thing that the Topaz products do that Focus Magic doesn't is work with Smart Objects, which I like.

Bart, how does the Deblur aspect of Topaz Detail relate/compare to InFocus?

Hi,

The Deblur control in Topaz Detail, is a simplified version of the InFocus functionality. It doesn't offer a choice, but it probably uses the Generic deblur functionality with a small radius range, and does offer an Artifact suppression option. The InFocus version allows a wider range of blur radii, a choice from different blur sources, and offers additional sharpening controls in its Sharpen panel.

But the Detail plugin version is very effective in actually sharpening nonetheless, because it really deconvolves/sharpens micro-detail. The other controls in Detail do not sharpen, but they change the amplitude of several ranges of detail size, which is very effective visually, to reveal or suppress surface structure.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

sjprg

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 09:50:08 am »

Myotis, Thanks for the webinar link.
Paul
Paul

smahn

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 01:40:43 am »