Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One Lense: Blue Ring vs. No Ring  (Read 6334 times)

JoeKitchen

Phase One Lense: Blue Ring vs. No Ring
« on: December 05, 2016, 11:32:46 am »

How much more advanced are the blue ring LS lenses then there no ring predecessors? 

If I picked up an used 55mm LS and 110mm LS without a blue ring, is there any difference? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Re: Phase One Lense: Blue Ring vs. No Ring
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 11:42:16 am »

Yes and no.

The optical design on these two lenses is the same. The first apparent difference is the lens case and hood.

So one could say not much different. However, what I can say about the 80 and 110  and i expect it to be true for all Bluering lenses the quality control is better and there are less bad lenses out there.

To give you an example: I had 7 x 80mm lenses 2 blue ring 5 without.

There was one copy of the none Bluering lenses which was great the rest was ok. The good one performed really well but both Bluering versions were a tad better. (Very close however)

To sum it up. If you have a great copy there is zero difference in performance, however I have the feeling going with a Bluering lens makes it the easy way to get a great lens.

One could, however, really ask why there are so many bad LS lenses out there. Perhaps most people don't care about corner/edge performance.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

william

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 11:56:07 am »

All correct, as to those two specific lenses.

Note, however, that some of the blue rings are in fact optically different (better) than their predecessors.  I know for sure that the 35mm is.  Some of the dealers who post here may weigh in with more details.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 12:13:04 pm »

35mm LS is all new, as there was no older 35mm LS non blue ring, it was one of the very first blue rings to come out as I recall.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 12:43:50 pm »

New is 35/45

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

DrakeJ

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 06:04:38 pm »

How much more advanced are the blue ring LS lenses then there no ring predecessors? 

If I picked up an used 55mm LS and 110mm LS without a blue ring, is there any difference?

Phase One allude to the fact that they have a new digital interface between the XF and the blue ring lens, which have the possibility to add more features in the future. What those features are however, is anyone's guess. Could be a marketing ploy, could be something cool. Who knows. Right now there's only one feature and that is that if you have several blue ring lenses of the same type, they can be individually focus fine tuned and the XF will remember each one.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 06:46:10 pm »

One other difference that won't matter to most people but does if you use lenses from a lens pool is that the blue ring lenses are recognized individually by the XF body where the non-blue ring lenses are only recognized by the type of lens it is.  that means you can have different focus trim settings for different lenses of the same focal length on the blue ring ones but not on the older lenses.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 09:28:57 pm »

Joe - here's information on Blue Line Lenses I posted elsewhere (forgive the copy/paste).

Differences include the build quality, additional communication to the camera/back, enhanced quality control (less chance of a mediocre copy).

In my testing so far, I have yet to find a Blue Ring Lens that exceeds a quality copy of the same lens in non Blue Ring. This isn't definitive, just my experience so far (others may experience different results). I do feel that purchasing a Blue Ring lens reduces the possibility that you'll pull a lemon card when it comes to lens variations (all lenses from every mainstream manufacturer has lens variations, some more than others).

If you have a dealer who individually tests lenses, then you have the ability to purchase a non Blue Ring and be confident of getting a good copy.

Blue Ring scorecard:

* Schneider 35mm/3.5 Blue Line LS - completely new optic
* Schneider 45mm/2.8 Blue Line LS - completely new optic
* Schneider150mm/2.8 Blue Line LS - completely new optic

* Schneider 55mm/2.8 Blue Line LS - (same optic as previous LS version)
* Schneider 80mm/2.8 Blue Line LS - (same optic as previous LS version)
* Schneider 110mm/2.8 Blue Line LS - same optic as previous LS version)
* Schneider 120mm/4 Blue Line LS - (probably same optic as previous AF version, I find the 2 lenses perform very similarly)
* Schneider 150mm/3.5 Blue Line LS - (same optic as previous LS version)
* Schneider 240mm/4.5 Blue Line LS - (same optic as previous LS version)
* Schneider 40mm-80mm/4.0-5.6 Blue Line LS - (same optic as previous LS version)
* Schneider 75mm-150mm/4.0-5.6 Blue Line LS - (same optic as previous LS version)

I agree with Drake and I do have some concern that future features may emerge that are Blue Ring - specific, due to the additional communication. No way of knowing at this point.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 04:48:19 pm »

My Macro 180 and 120 are noticably sharper than older 210 or 300. I have each and did a side to side.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up