Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backing Up Files Without a Computer  (Read 1497 times)

JoeKitchen

Backing Up Files Without a Computer
« on: December 05, 2016, 09:14:55 am »

Considering there is a good chance the incoming administration could role back the easements on Cuba, I am considering just going to Havana for a couple of days prior to Jan. 20th.  I kind of don't want to miss the opportunity if something changes. 

If so, I would travel light without a computer, but would still like to be able to backup files.  I may bring an iPad though, especially if I get an IQ260 by then. 

Is there anyway to back up cards without a computer?  I have a 500 GB small hard drive I keep in my camera bag for this reason; would it be possible to backup files to this without a computer?  Would I be able to use an iPad to do so? 

(Also, if any fellow USA citizens have tips on going to Havana, I would be all ears.) 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 09:24:44 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Conner999

Re: Backing Up Files Without a Computer
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 10:08:37 am »

You could pick up an Epson or similar card reader / storage unit, but a used cheap borrowed or eBay laptop to simply act as a conduit to a backup drive might be a best bet. Something small, simple, older and easily re-sold on return. Also if lose it or breaks it's no loss. You maybe could use an iPad with right software and connection but larger files from say a MFDB would blow through storage quickly.

On Cuba. I'm CDN, but the country is gorgeous and the people very friendly. Just relax, have fun and bring older t-shirts, ball caps, etc., some spare new toiletries and leave with a note on bed for maid when leaving.  With embargo (even if just lifting) the items are hard and costly to get for most workers and US$ too big a PITA to work with for them.

Oh, don't buy cigars or rum from anywhere but proper gov't-regulated store. Risks aside (beach vendors), the gov't is very touch about counterfeit items heading outside the country and they will (or at least did) check cigar boxes at airport departure for the proper stamps.

Have fun - and good plan.

Joe Towner

t: @PNWMF

andyptak

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 04:28:40 pm »

I have a Hyperdrive and love it. Use it on every foreign location job as my 3rd backup. Highly recommended.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 04:55:25 pm »

Going to have to check these out. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 12:22:09 am »

Though a large-capacity iPad will work, with SD cards, it's so slow to display the thumbnails on other than small capacity cards (4-8 GB). But a HyperDrive with built-in CF/SD card reader is what I use. Mine are the old-style compatible with my iPad so the maximum drive capacity is 500 GB and the largest cards I can shoot are 32GB. Newer Hyperdrives support larger cards and drives. But after several month-long journeys during the past few years under my belt, I've found that 500 GB is plenty capacity for me with space left over. You can purchase just the casing without a drive and then get an SSD of your choice for more durable travel. They are easy to install in the cases.

I have two Hyperdrives and back-up my cards to both, keeping good notes as I do. However, I have enough cards to shoot them only once, back them up and then put them away until I'm back in my studio for extra safety.

Since it sounds like you trip will be short, bring enough cards to shoot your whole trip and if you've tested your Hyperdrive and have it figured out, you should be fine using it for a back-up.

Battery life seems to be good for maybe 10-12 downloads in my experience. You can also get a small external box that will take AA batteries to charge the device and that's what I've done when I've forgotten my wall-wart a couple of times.

Hope this helps. Have a great journey!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 07:56:37 am »

I have a Hyperdrive and love it. Use it on every foreign location job as my 3rd backup. Highly recommended.

Yes, I agree. The Hyperdrive hasn't failed me (I have the model that preceded the UDMA ColorSpace). I purchased a unit without drive, so I could mount my own drive (just watch for the correct drive dimensions/height) for a relatively much lower total cost.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 10:34:08 am »

There is also this device from Western Digital: https://www.wdc.com/en-um/products/portable-storage/my-passport-wireless-pro.html

I have used it as a backup disk while trekking through Torres Del Pine for 9 days with a 645Z. My photos were being written to both slots on the camera and this drive was my 3rd backup. The battery seemed to last for a long time.

andyptak

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 05:14:00 pm »

The WD device is good. I have one of those too, but it is limited to SD cards, whereas the Hyperdrive also takes CF.
Pages: [1]   Go Up