Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: LR7?  (Read 18984 times)

Greg D

LR7?
« on: December 01, 2016, 03:49:17 pm »

I'm still using Lightroom 5 (haven't done the CC thing), and was about to update to LR6, but then wondered if LR7 might be on the way.  Anybody got any ideas?  Will there be a Lightroom 7 other than CC, and if so, is it coming due soon?

Simon Garrett

Re: LR7?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 05:15:17 pm »

Really hard to know.  In the past, prior to the CC PS/LR bundle, Adobe would produce a major release of LR every 15-24 months or so.  We saw:
  • LR1 - 1/07
  • LR2 - 7/08
  • LR3 - 6/10
  • LR4 - 3/12
  • LR5 - 6/13
  • LR6 - 4/15
On that schedule, we're due a new major release.  But in the past, major releases were to generate revenue.  Existing users paid only for the upgrade. 

Now with CC customers, they don't need major upgrades to generate revenue, and they can dribble out updates and new features whenever they please, and release a major upgrade only when they want a bit of marketing fizz, largely unconnected with features (except for a cosmetic uplift and a new start-up screen).

However, they want to get money out of existing non-CC customers, so need periodic major releases. 

That's if they continue a stand-alone product.  Previous promises have been along the lines of "we have no plans to discontinue the stand-alone product".  Will they suddenly create plans to discontinue it? 

That's a long-winded way of saying "I haven't a clue."

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 12:24:23 am »

Anybody got any ideas?

You are asking an unanswerable question...anybody who knows can't say...anybody who says can't know. If they knew anything real, it would be covered by an NDA–which Adobe and those who sign NDA's take seriously.

Manoli

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 03:50:19 am »

Jeff - the OP didn't ask if anybody 'knew', he asked if anyone had any 'ideas', to which I'd guess that judging by the speed of your reply the answer would be 'sooner rather than later' ...  8)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 08:25:13 am »

I'll be happy to make up yet another rumor, based on no knowledge whatever.
But the value of any such rumor would be entertainment, at best.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 08:55:56 am »

I'd expect it to come out early next year - the competition has been heating up as C1 just had a new fresh release and some smaller ones are getting better too.
Even just to stay on the picture there is a need for something new.

All of that is just a guess though.

Greg D

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 10:11:21 am »

Thanks for all the thoughts.  :)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 03:12:13 pm »

.... which I'd guess that judging by the speed of your reply the answer would be 'sooner rather than later' ...  8)

Not very good at reading tea leaves, huh?

I answer questions like this fast so people don't waste their time speculating-which is all anybody can do at this point.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 10:48:40 pm »

I hope it does wonders in speed, as I already have ditched it since it is unusable with 40 to 50mpixel files.

I am now using Photoshop ACR with ACRDsee and On1, with much faster results, but if I need perfection I can use C1.

Its sad that the image leading software that I really relied on has let me and others down.

Adobe used to be a great company, and over the years...well you don't need me to get into it.
But LR& is much needed, and the ONLY upgrade needed is mass speed!

Maybe they need to make a LRLite like I had suggested years ago here...but all this bloat of some useful yet not by all or the core users is just slowing things down.
I have a large database and in another post started to try and speed things up, but so far it looks like maybe size of Cat and the file size themselves.

DXO Raw maybe another I think I should try. Cataloging was pretty nice in LR, but I can easily use folders.

I would highly recommed people use a OS based cataloging system even with LR in use, as you never know what the future holds. For me it sure isnt relying on a company that forced its users to move towards the clouds. I don't need anyone forcing their hand on my images.
From a Aldus user to today's latest and greatest desktop version......The love/hate relationship is still ongoing.
As for LR, I am hoping it to make a comeback with a more Catalog and Dev with powerful export features, but not much of the other fluff.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Simon Garrett

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 05:28:15 am »

I hope it does wonders in speed, as I already have ditched it since it is unusable with 40 to 50mpixel files.

With 36Mpixel files I find it usable (with a fast processor) but LR could certainly benefit from being faster.

[snip]

I would highly recommed people use a OS based cataloging system even with LR in use, as you never know what the future holds. For me it sure isnt relying on a company that forced its users to move towards the clouds. I don't need anyone forcing their hand on my images.

It's a good idea to keep images in a logical folder structure whether or not one uses Lightroom, and I'm sure most people do that.

However, I don't think Adobe is forcing its users towards the clouds.  I dare say some marketing person in Adobe thought up the name "Creative Cloud" as cloud is all the rage and sounds sexy to marketing people, but it has virtually nothing to do with Adobe CC.  Yes, there's a cloud capability for hosting images, but LR catalog and images must always be stored locally for LR to work. 

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 06:48:15 am »

My sense is Adobe is doing a full rewrite of LR using more Open Source code.  Much has changed in 10 years that would make a SW rewrite necessary and a two year dev cycle to do this is not unreasonable.   I recall a couple years ago that Eric Chan was moved over to help increase the speed of LR which makes me think this is a priority.  I fully expect that we'll see improved performance once it's released.

I've noticed a material time delay in bringing new camera support into LR this past year.   This suggests to me that engineering resources have been diverted elsewhere.  One can only hope it's refocusing on a modern platform.

Show us your roadmap Adobe!
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 07:13:34 am »

One theme of Lightroom 6 dot releases is in fact a series of features aimed at performance. If you want to see what I mean, go through the Lightroom Journal's dot release announcements and see how many refer to performance in version 6 compared to previous versions. The obvious ones which come to mind are GPU support and the preference for using smart previews.

I don't think there is any evidence whatsoever of slower support for new raw formats. Nor do I have any sense of any move away from Lua or of some full rewrite.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 09:28:45 am »

The obvious ones which come to mind are GPU support
Which made no significant difference, in fact slowed some operations down.

Let's hope Serif see a market for a LR alike package.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 10:10:19 am »

Which made no significant difference, in fact slowed some operations down.

Sure, for some people (me too on one computer) it slowed some operations down, for others not. With an app like Lightroom, no single bit of performance tuning is going to have an across-the-board effect, and my point was that GPU acceleration was just one example from a series of performance-oriented changes that have been implemented over the last 18 months. 

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 10:17:26 am »

I've noticed a material time delay in bringing new camera support into LR this past year.   

Some reading for you Adam. https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2116114  This data was not prepared by Adobe.

Note that the movement of a single camera from from one column to another is enough to move the statistics by a percentage point within the error of rounding.
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

Rhossydd

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 10:21:29 am »

and my point was that GPU acceleration was just one example from a series of performance-oriented changes that have been implemented over the last 18 months.
and my point is that it didn't work.
At best there's some very minor improvements in some parts of LR, but that seems to be accompanied by slow downs elsewhere. Net result no gain.

I can't recall anyone here going 'wow, what an improvement' with GPU acceleration, mostly the opposite.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 10:24:39 am »

As a rule, people never acknowledge improvements, and I suspect GPU acceleration's main impact is on preventing deterioration of performance on bigger hi-res monitors.

Rhossydd

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 11:26:44 am »

As a rule, people never acknowledge improvements,
I don't think that's fair comment. When something significant arrives it gets plenty of people praising it (check out the appreciation for Capture One's new sharpening options, or how good Serif's Affinity suite is or Photoline as examples).

If GPU acceleration was working as it should, at least people complaining of poor performance would be asked to check if it was on by their helpful peers. The opposite happens here.
It's been a dead loss.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 11:41:57 am »

It's perfectly fair. It's just what have the Romans ever done for us?

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 12:36:47 am »

It's perfectly fair. It's just what have the Romans ever done for us?

Agreed, when we see something working we point it out here, and John, you have been here long enough to know that.

I literealy came to a halt!
I just cant have 5 to 10TB of files on a SSD. I have it on INTEL servers. they are min 50 to 80MB sec transfer sustained.
My Ram is the top speed 32GB. My 6 core processor is at 3.6Ghz. My Win10 64bit OS is on Crucial SSD. My Phtoshop Scratch is on another SSD. My Graphic card is a 4GB 970+. I don't even use 4K screens, two 30", but I dare use dual screen...just one screen!!

What else can I throw at it???!!
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up