Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Pro Version 10 Launched  (Read 7364 times)

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Capture One Pro Version 10 Launched
« on: December 01, 2016, 09:57:55 am »

Capture One Version 10 is now officially launched. Numerous specific performance improvements. My favorites are the diffraction sharpening and improved LCC results for IQ1 100 and IQ3 100 (hopefully we'll see improvements for some other models in the future).

https://captureintegration.com/capture-one-10/
https://captureintegration.com/introducing-capture-one-pro-10/

Steve Hendrix/CI
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:53:25 am by Steve Hendrix »
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
Re: Capture One Pro Version 10 Launched
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:37:11 am »

Not to be negative here - but this sorta seems evolutionary as opposed to some of the more revolutionary upgrades - almost like this could be 9.4/5

For someone not shooting IQ100, beyond some of the processing speed ups...what's the pull to upgrade here?

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:53:03 am »

Not to be negative here - but this sorta seems evolutionary as opposed to some of the more revolutionary upgrades - almost like this could be 9.4/5

For someone not shooting IQ100, beyond some of the processing speed ups...what's the pull to upgrade here?

Doug, I agree with you, that compared to some of the previous large version jumps 7 > 8, 8 > 9, C1 10 doesn't seem as expansive or dramatic. But there is precedence for software releases that are feature oriented and others that are performance oriented, and this one is certainly the latter. Features are great, but at some point, performance should also be addressed, and many software companies don't pay much attention to that.

It's also important to consider that some of the between releases, the "minor" x.1, x.2, etc, version releases have at times contained pretty dramatic feature updates in themselves. So I wouldn't put too much thought into it - if it addresses some needs for you for the $99, then it's a go, if not, you can wait to see what 10.1, or 10.3 turn up.

Steve Hendrix/CI

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 11:20:40 am »

The output proofing feature (screen and/ or print) on its own is worth the upgrade IMO, for practically everyone...

BR
Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 11:20:53 am »

Hi Doug,

The processing speed isn't something to be sneezed at ...
The improvements in 3-step sharpening control are very good, with local adjustments and proofing.
There are some other enhancements that may or may ot appeal equally to all users.

While it's not a totally new application, significant progress has been made (even if a lot is under-the-hood). Whether it's enough to justify the upgrade fee is an individual decision, but I didn't hesitate long ... (I'm just trying to figure out the payment details, no PayPal AFAIK).

And as Steve said, it's not impossible for dot releases to have additional features. We'll just have to wait and see for that.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 11:24:59 am »

The output proofing feature (screen and/ or print) on its own is worth the upgrade IMO, for practically everyone...

I agree, pretty useful, and nicely implemented (e.g. with a viewing distance control for printed output).

Cheers,
Bart

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 12:19:11 pm »

Hi Doug,

The processing speed isn't something to be sneezed at ...
The improvements in 3-step sharpening control are very good, with local adjustments and proofing.
There are some other enhancements that may or may ot appeal equally to all users.

While it's not a totally new application, significant progress has been made (even if a lot is under-the-hood). Whether it's enough to justify the upgrade fee is an individual decision, but I didn't hesitate long ... (I'm just trying to figure out the payment details, no PayPal AFAIK).

And as Steve said, it's not impossible for dot releases to have additional features. We'll just have to wait and see for that.

Cheers,
Bart

Yes, some good examples are 9.1 and 9.2, released within 3 months of each other. You could make the argument that 9.1 and 9.2 combined would make a pretty nice major upgrade, but these were free, incremental updates that were not just bug fixes:

https://captureintegration.com/top-10-features-in-capture-one-pro-9-1/
https://captureintegration.com/capture-one-pro-9-2-top-9-features/

Steve Hendrix/CI

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 12:19:57 pm »

Re: size of the update...

Depending on what you do with your images several of the new features are quite valuable.

But this misses the point of how Phase One's development cycle has changed since earlier versions.

Years ago Phase One would go for big marketing/sales oriented "splashy" updates. They would release a new version (e.g. version 6) with a TON of new features and then, for a year or two the only public updates they would do were bug fixes. During that time they would take all of the new features/improvements they were developing and put them in a black box (in order to save up to have enough to make a big splash again for the next paid upgrade). There are three problems with that:
1) You are artificially delaying your customers from using great features/improvements
2) By releasing a bunch of new features all at once the chance for bugs is much higher and the path to fixing them is longer
3) As a user it is more disorienting to adjust to several new tools/workflows/features/behaviors all at once every couple years than it is to have a couple new things every few months.

I VASTLY prefer the current model. A "major" release with a handful of new goodies and some under the hood improvements, followed by several free dot releases that contain useful features and improvements. From a dealer-providing-support point of view  we have FAR fewer support cases / bug-reports as we did a few years ago under the old model.

I helped write an article with Douglas Sonders called "Building the House of Capture One" about this but FStoppers where it is hosted seems to be down at the moment.

Bo_Dez

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 12:33:04 pm »

I think the update looks very solid. Personally, I think looking for new features at this point is unnecessary. Personally, I find the working of C1 were in need of some reviewing and this looks like it has done that.

I would take performance updates over what could be gimmicky features for the sake of it, any day.

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 04:12:34 pm »

Have they implemented the Tangent control panel integration that demo'd at Photo+?  That was damn cool.

Edit:  Oh, I guess they did.  Killer!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 04:16:16 pm by Chris Barrett »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 04:27:41 pm »

Have they implemented the Tangent control panel integration that demo'd at Photo+?  That was damn cool.

Yep. And we have one for our LA and NYC office if you want to come play with the released version.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 04:43:48 pm »

They actually have a Webinar on how to use it scheduled in a couple of weeks.

Chris Barrett

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 09:46:03 pm »

Just bought the upgrade and I've had an Elements panel for a couple years now, so I'll be playing with this tomorrow.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 01:43:32 am »

encouraging.  Just curious as to your opinion of the new deconvolution capture sharpening as compared to 3rd party tools such as focus magic.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 06:16:12 am »

encouraging.  Just curious as to your opinion of the new deconvolution capture sharpening as compared to 3rd party tools such as focus magic.

Hi Wayne,

I need to do some more testing, but it will probably be possible (with the right tools) to squeeze a bit more detail out of an unsharpened image in post-processing. But for a one-stop processing with only Capture One, it is possible to create very nice output quality, and the Proofing option for the process recipes is well implemented.

The lens correction option supposedly uses deconvolution sharpening to reverse Diffraction effects, which is a good choice. What I'm not yet sure about is how they do that (based on EXIF if available, or detail analysis like the CA correction), and if Diffraction is all that's taken into account (which looks like it is) or that also sensel aperture blur is corrected (which it doesn't look like), and the effect of an Optical Low-Pass Filter (OLPF or AA-filter). The Point Spread Function of the diffraction pattern per pixel also varies with wavelength and focus distance (magnification factor), so it's not simple if to be done correctly.

Each sensel has a finite physical area over which it integrates the signals which also blurs fine detail (and reduces aliasing), as opposed to a point sampling device. At some (wider) apertures, there will also be residual lens aberrations that will cause softening. I would have liked it if there was some level of user control instead of only an on/off toggle, but who knows if that's something for the future ...

But as it is, it's a good step forward, even if the effect at some apertures may be subtle. It matters if we look at details in the plane of best focus, or elsewhere in the DOF zone. The Diffraction correction will have the most noticeable effect in the plane of best focus (which is only a shallow zone).

I would also have liked it better if the normal sharpening methods had been expanded with an alternative method, instead of only a means to mitigate the halos inherent in the USM like approaches. I prefer prevention of halos over reducing them after they were created. But the current implementation is certainly an improvement, especially because it can also be applied locally in adjustment layers (multiple layers with different settings are possible).

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:47:31 pm by BartvanderWolf »

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 12:14:14 pm »

Does anyone have a link to more info about the tangent control? That feature is actually pretty interesting.

-D

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 12:27:34 pm »

Does anyone have a link to more info about the tangent control? That feature is actually pretty interesting.

-D

David Grover is going to discuss this in detail on the 15th Capture One Pro 10 with the Tangent Element
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Chris Barrett

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 07:51:51 am »

Here's how commands map out.  Really digging this!

Doug Peterson

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 09:05:10 am »

quick correction/addition... That's how they map out by default. One of the great things about the Tangent set up is everything can be mapped to your liking. So if, for example, you never use Structure you can replace that knob with some other function you do use.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 10:28:48 am »

Did you move from Mac to Windows Chris?
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up