Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for Care and Feeding of an Epson P800  (Read 1288 times)

roscoetuff

• Skip Mersereau
Recommendations for Care and Feeding of an Epson P800
« on: November 30, 2016, 09:45:18 am »

So the new beast is in the 'hood. I've run a few prints through it, and yeah.... wow. Like to keep it running.
Wondering where's the best source for learning how to keep this thing working? Head cleaning equip and/or fluid? Let the printer turn itself off? Details. I've not had a fine (read: expensive) printer before, and I don't want to mess it up, shorten it's life and all that through negligence. And yeah... in the scheme of things it's not expensive as in multi-thousand $'s, but it ain't free either. And I didn't see a lot of red meat on this in the manual btw!!! So if there's any recommended procedures to follow or places to turn before the ink turns and jells on the heads, I'd love to raise the odds of my printer's survival. Thanks!
"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Recommendations for Care and Feeding of an Epson P800
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 10:14:44 am »

I also have a newly acquired P800, but it was preceded by an Epson 3800 (seven years) and an Epson 2200 (five-ish years?) before that. My 3800 was incredibly reliable with very little maintenance. My home has whole-house air conditioning, humidification, and dehumidification, so the humidity level in my home office never gets below 30% or above 50%. I believe that has helped.

In addition, based on my own experience and what I've read on the web from others, my own recommendations are as follows:

1.   Control the humidity level if you can.

2.   If your location is dusty, keeping a dust cover on it when it is not in use could be helpful (I seldom bother).

3.   Opinions seems to be divided on whether to turn the beast off when you aren't using it. I generally turned my 3800 off when I knew I was going to be away for a few weeks, but not otherwise. I'm doing pretty much the same on my P800.

4.   It is good to do a nozzle check at least once a month, and then a nozzle cleaning only if the check shows gaps. I almost never bothered with nozzle checks on my 3800, but about once a year I wasted some paper making prints that looked awful. At that point I would do a nozzle check, which showed me why the prints were bad. And I then cleaned. Only twice over seven years did I have to do multiple cleanings. If two cleanings don't clear the nozzles, leave the printer overnight and try again. Another nozzle check and cleaning at that point will almost always clear things up.

5.   The only times my 3800 gave me problems with paper feed were when I had run a bunch of double-sided sheets through the printer. Even if I let side one dry over night, the ink on side one would get onto the rollers when printing side two and eventually make them lose traction. On the few occasions that this happened, I sprayed some Windex glass cleaner on the middle of a sheet of cheap matte paper (which I no longer use for prints) and ran it through the printer, followed by two dry sheets. That always restored the print feeding with nothing else needed. I plan to do the same on my P800 if it ever needs it.

6.   It is probably good to make a print or two almost every week, but I have left my 3800 for as much as 6 weeks untouched with no ill effects. I doubt if the P800 needs to be babied very much, given its similarity to the 3800 and 3880, which have been spectacularly reliable (especially compared with some of the larger Epsons).

7.   Enjoy it, and make good prints!

Good luck. I hope this helps.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

roscoetuff

• Skip Mersereau
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 01:57:13 pm »

Eric: Thanks! This is excellent and helpful. BTW, images on your website are amazing! Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:51:41 am by roscoetuff »
"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer

JeffS

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 05:06:26 pm »

Don't sweat it.  I, too, owned a 3800 that was still going strong when I donated it after 7 years and bought a P800.  I ran a test print though every couple of weeks if not otherwise in use and turned it off when not printing.  I always ran a nozzle check, just in case, when I was about to make an important final print.

My P800 is less than a year old, and it runs as well or better than the 3800 did.....quieter and better feed action.  After leaving it idle for a month, a nozzle check revealed a very small Photo Black patch error.....but it was cleared quickly and has been perfect since.

Epson was smart and retained the good aspects of the 3800 and 3880 when introducing the P800.  The predecessors were relatively problem free machines.  The R3000 and the 4900 (and larger) series, on the other hand, have been problematic regarding clogs, etc.  The P600 replaced the R3000, but the 4900 has yet to see a P series replacement.  You should be fine; if not, you'll know soon enough if you have a problem machine, which the warranty will cover.

Happy printing.

Jeff

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 08:07:35 pm »

My P800 arrived this afternoon - haven't even opened the box yet. I plan to treat it the same way as I treated my 3800, and that has lasted nine years. Pretty much what Eric says, though I do turn mine off unless I know I will be printing the next day. (Worst clog I ever had with the 3800 was after leaving it on for a month without making any prints.)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up