Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lines, Lights & Colors of Chicago  (Read 3325 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Lines, Lights & Colors of Chicago
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 11:58:42 am »

What possible difference does it make whether you're shooting at ISO 8 or ISO 800,000? The result is the result is the result, and it's the result that matters. Good pictures aren't made by a camera; they're made by a mind.

Yes, agreed on the importance of the mind and image over technique, however... we are using that technique to connect the mind to the image, so it does make a difference ultimately. Some of the images we are making today simply would not be possible only a few years ago (or they would have looked like crap).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 12:49:27 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 12:11:32 pm »

You're right, Slobodan. You definitely need a camera to make photographs, just as you need a brush if you're going to paint (unless you plan to do the Jackson Pollock thing and drip). And beyond that, as you say, you need technique. But what  is technique other than a mental approach to the subject? Let's face it, framing is almost everything. You need to know what to include and what to leave out.

Yeah, I know about those images that weren't possible. I tried to shoot a lot of them. But I'll also tell you this: I made shots in 2000 with a Casio 3 mpx camera that not long ago I printed at 17 x 27, and that are now hanging on my walls. If you look closely you can see that some detail has been lost, but you need to get close, preferably with a magnifier to see the loss of detail. At proper viewing distance they're just hunky-dory.

I keep telling the people in the local photo club that it's not what's in your hand that matters; it's what's in your head. I'll stand by that.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 02:12:16 pm »

I keep telling the people in the local photo club that it's not what's in your hand that matters; it's what's in your head. I'll stand by that.

We used to say the same about snazzy stethoscopes: it's what's between the earpieces that matters.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 02:16:03 pm »

That's a truth that goes far beyond medicine or photography, Jeremy.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 08:13:44 pm »

"Good pictures aren't made by a camera; they're made by a mind." Quote Russ.
Excellent, and mind's eye.
A common woman~

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 02:22:35 pm »

I have looked at both these images quite a few times now and even though they didn't really hit my photographic sweet spot (can't think of any other term at the moment, but I am sure you know what I mean), yet I still kept coming back and looking at them both, which is perhaps to think what I would have done given the same situation, I don't know.

But I can say that they are both well seen and well done and have certainly put quite a few ideas into my head, so perhaps I should just say that for me, they are more inspirational than they are inspiring (or should that be the other way around), which sounds harsh but I do not mean it to be harsh in any way, as I think to inspire ideas in someone else through your work, really is an excellent thing to be able to do and I thank you for that.

When it comes to thoughtful and architectural abstracts with an artistic twist, you really are the man Slobodan  ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 02:26:57 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up