Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide to the finer points of LR sharpening?  (Read 3185 times)

Mousecop

Guide to the finer points of LR sharpening?
« on: November 28, 2016, 02:12:09 pm »

Just curious if anyone knows of a particularly good guide to sharpening in LR, particularly for print output. Any suggestions?

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm looking for advanced techniques, preferably with illustrations on the effects of the different sliders. I have the basics down. I think.  ;)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Guide to the finer points of LR sharpening?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 02:14:02 pm »

Michael and Jeff's "Camera to Print" or Lightroom tutorials available to paid-up members of this website free.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mousecop

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 03:39:13 pm »

Michael and Jeff's "Camera to Print" or Lightroom tutorials available to paid-up members of this website free.
Is that the set of tutorials from 2009?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 03:40:43 pm »

I forget the dating - use the most recent ones posted; the sharpening advice wouldn't have changed.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 03:51:22 pm »

The Camera to Print & Screen tutorials are what you are looking for. They are from 2011.

Look for videos 33, 34 for Capture sharpening which is arguably more complex and requiring of a finer hand than relatively simple print sharpening which is covered in video 39

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 04:21:42 pm »

Yes, the advice is pretty timeless - it doesn't go out of date.
Jeff Schewe is definitely the guy to go to for insight into sharpening techniques.

Tony Jay

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 06:31:58 pm »

Caveat:  most advice for capture and creative sharpening is geared towards Bayer sensors.  Non-Bayer sensors like Fuji X-Trans will require a different approach for optimal results.
Regards,
Ron

Mousecop

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 09:49:24 am »

Thanks, currently using a Bayer sensor.

So far, using those techniques, the changes seem pretty subtle. It may be more obvious when I start making some larger prints.

Are there any changes in techniques based on the amount of data, e.g. a 20mp image compared to a 40-50mp image?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 09:52:20 am »

Thanks, currently using a Bayer sensor.

So far, using those techniques, the changes seem pretty subtle. It may be more obvious when I start making some larger prints.

Are there any changes in techniques based on the amount of data, e.g. a 20mp image compared to a 40-50mp image?

This makes me ask/remind, that to properly see the effects of sharpening on your display, the image magnification needs to be at 100%.

bjanes

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 11:19:44 am »

Is that the set of tutorials from 2009?

Jeff's explanation of LR/ACR capture sharpening is updated in The Digital Negative, 2nd Edition, copyright 2016. He discusses each of the sliders and I don't think there is much more that needs to be said. The process is relatively straightforward. LR/ACR output sharpening can largely be left on autopilot.

If you want more advanced capture sharpening, it is best to go to Photoshop where one can use layers, masks, layer blending options, and advanced plugins such as Topaz InFocus and Detail as well as FocusMagic; these plugins use more sophisticated deconvolution algorithms. That said, the edge mask generated by LR/ACR is impressive, but the deconvolution is relatively simple, using only 1 or 2 iterations. Personally, I use ACR/LR for more routine work and employ Photoshop and these plugins for my best images.

Regards,

Bill

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 01:48:21 pm »

......... Personally, I use ACR/LR for more routine work and employ Photoshop and these plugins for my best images.

Regards,

Bill

My experience is different, in the sense that my "best" images (i.e. however defined) don't need much sharpening, such that whatever sharpening the photo needs can be very well-handled within Lightroom's Develop Module; in the Print Module, Output sharpening is a largely non-judgmental process that depends on resolution and paper type - the exception being that one can choose to taste between Low, Standard and High strength. For me, sharpened photos must still look natural, and this is what LR can be so good at: accentuating fine detail without crunchiness. I control this in the Develop Module and never find myself going beyond "Standard" in the Print module.

Mousecop

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 06:38:04 pm »

This makes me ask/remind, that to properly see the effects of sharpening on your display, the image magnification needs to be at 100%.
Already doing that, on a calibrated display. ;)

Note that I was doing some sharpening before, just not really getting into the nitty gritty. I don't expect to see a massive difference. Given that my current max print size is 17" x 22", I'm not sure the subtle differences will be all that visible....

Pages: [1]   Go Up