Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ashness Bridge  (Read 1001 times)

KMRennie

Ashness Bridge
« on: November 27, 2016, 04:08:47 pm »

The weather is changing with the cold clear weather changing to somewhat warmer with increasing clouds. This is causing the streams to run faster as the snow melts. Derwentwater is still partially frozen but this won't last for long. All comments welcome. Ken

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Ashness Bridge
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 03:43:57 am »

Looks as if it was a glorious day. Your exposure is a bit too long for my taste, though: I think retaining some detail in the water would have been better.

Jeremy

KMRennie

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 06:04:54 am »

Thanks for the comment Jeremy. I have multiple shots taken here at a variety of shutter speeds. Unfortunately the shorter speeds were taken in shadow and the light collapsed for the day 2 minutes after this shot. I may well blend some detail from the shorter exposures into this shot and see what that looks like. I could do with a 3 stop ND filter as I can never get to my preferred exposure time for water shots in bright daylight.
Ken

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 09:40:30 am »

Thanks for the comment Jeremy. I have multiple shots taken here at a variety of shutter speeds. Unfortunately the shorter speeds were taken in shadow and the light collapsed for the day 2 minutes after this shot. I may well blend some detail from the shorter exposures into this shot and see what that looks like. I could do with a 3 stop ND filter as I can never get to my preferred exposure time for water shots in bright daylight.
Ken

If the shots you took where all from the exact same position without changing f/stop etc, but with using various shutter speeds, then all you need to do to get the exact water exposure that you want, is load the above worked file into a stack with the shorter exposed version in PS, auto-align them, then with the shot with the more defined water on top, go to your channels palette and holding Ctrl click the top RGB channel, this will select all the highlights (the water and sky etc), then jump this selection into a new layer (Ctrl+J) and turn off or delete the layer where it came from. Now add a black mask to the jumped selection layer and with a soft white brush at 100%, paint the water back into the shot with the layer set to 'Luminosity'. You can then try moving the opacity up and down for the layer to blend it into the water to just how you want it to look.

If the water looks good but isn't bright enough from the second version, then duplicate the jumped layer and its mask and set it to 'screen' and again play with the opacity slider until you get just what you want.

Dave
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 09:43:47 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 10:05:39 am »

Looks as if it was a glorious day. Your exposure is a bit too long for my taste, though: I think retaining some detail in the water would have been better.

Jeremy

I love the subject and the composition, but agree with Jeremy. I am completely sick of "cotton water" and tend to associate it (if I may be honest) with schlock calendar photos. Anyway the water doesn't actually look like that!

KMRennie

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 02:07:02 pm »

Thanks for the comments. This one has a shutter speed of 0.5s and not 13s.
Ken
Ken

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 02:10:57 pm »

Thanks for the comments. This one has a shutter speed of 0.5s and not 13s.
Ken
Ken

Much better, IMHO.

I've been as guilty of "cotton water" shots as the next man, and I'm not sick of them in the right circumstances. I just didn't think this was one of them, and I think your 0.5s exposure makes my point.

Jeremy

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 03:02:59 pm »

Much prefer the second. I tend to go for 1/4 sec for blurred water shots, and this one is as close as makes no difference

KMRennie

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 04:14:53 pm »

I am not happy with the water that is very close to the viewer. I will need to look through all of my images to find one with an even shorter shutter speed in just this area or use a bit of structure to put a bit of detail in.
Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up