Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro-100 panos  (Read 3234 times)

Cornfield

Canon Pro-100 panos
« on: November 27, 2016, 05:03:25 am »

Is there any way to get a Canon Pro-100 to print a pano using precut length from a roll larger the maximum A3+?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Canon Pro-100 panos
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 05:43:06 am »

Is there any way to get a Canon Pro-100 to print a pano using precut length from a roll larger the maximum A3+?

Hi,

According to the manual, you can print a maximum size of 329,0 x 676,0 mm (12,95 x 26,61 inch) if you use the rear drawer. I do not know if the printer driver has a built in maximum physical media length limitation. Printers with a Roll feed option, which this model doesn't have, usually don't.

If the printer doesn't have a physical media length limitation, then you can use a program like Qimage Ultimate to automatically print multiple pages edge to edge when the maximum paper length that you can set in the driver is exceeded.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 12:26:03 pm »

FWIW my Canon 9000 Mk 2 has the same restriction and I found no way round it but it will print at those dimensions mentioned.

howardm

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 03:36:35 pm »

Canon's seem to have those limits hardcoded whereas, say, the Epson 38xx says it'll do max 25 but in reality it'll do 37.5".

Same nonsense on the Canon PRO1000 (barely over 25")

I've not tried that feature of Qimage (I think they call it 'tiling').

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 05:20:43 pm »

I've not tried that feature of Qimage (I think they call it 'tiling').

It does require the printer driver having a roll paper option. To quote from their website (emphasis is mine):
Data handling: Smart data management means sending image data to printer drivers in smaller chunks rather than overwhelming drivers by dumping the entire image at once.  Qimage's proprietary printer driver data streaming not only ensures more reliable printing, but it also allows Qimage to succeed in printing gargantuan prints where other tools fail.  In addition, Qimage can overcome printer driver length limitations entirely if the driver offers a roll paper/banner paper selection, allowing Qimage to go far beyond the 44 or 127 inch limit of your driver!  It is not uncommon, for example, to hear from Qimage users who have printed one contiguous panoramic print 20 feet long when their Epson driver stops at only 127 inches!

On sheet size selections there is probably a maximum paper feed length (dictated by the maximum number of pixels for that length) hardcoded in the driver. But Qimage can print/spool in chunks, so as long as there are more chunks, it will go on as long as the image size doesn't exceed the available paper length.

It's done with the Poster print option, which allows to specify the number of rows and columns to use for an image file. When it runs out of specified paper length/width, it will print the rest of the image on subsequent pages (and if they are on a roll paper they can be printed without a margin between them). But a roll print option must be available in the driver to do that without having to manually mount the pieces.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. Here are some additional remarks by the author of Qimage.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:22:16 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

BradSmith

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 06:07:10 pm »

The length restriction on panos is the point that killed this printer in my recent choice for a replacement for my Eps 3800.  Got an Eps P800.
Brad S

ralfe89

• Software engineer and photographer with print-love
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 02:32:45 am »

Every printer has its limitations. The Canon length restriction is annoying but that is possible works mostly flawlessly.
If I see the print problems on Epson printers from roll paper here (or on DPreview) then I'm glad I have a Canon printer and pano printing is not a hugh priority.

Or short: check your priorities and buy which is most suitable for that. If printing big panos and often is one of the main criteria go Epson. Otherwise the decision isn't that simple :)
Nothing better as own printed gallery images :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up