Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: warning macbook usb-c problems - apple still hiding it  (Read 2547 times)

orc73

warning macbook usb-c problems - apple still hiding it
« on: November 26, 2016, 03:20:45 am »

Hello

I will recommend all people not to go for the new macbook usb-c only line.
all my usb devices get unstable connections. hdmi as well. better cables help, pram reset helps, but don't solve the problems.
not sure if it is a firmware problem or if usb-c plug is not stable enough physicaly.

I got the macbook into apple care and they said no problem found. Of course it is something that appears randomly and the devices will reconnect eventually.

If you shoot tethered that will not be a nice surprise on the job. Restart computer, pram reset and so on in front of the customer is never nice.

best regards

OwenR

• http://www.owenraggett.com
Re: warning macbook usb-c problems - apple still hiding it
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 06:01:20 am »

Hello

I will recommend all people not to go for the new macbook usb-c only line.
all my usb devices get unstable connections. hdmi as well. better cables help, pram reset helps, but don't solve the problems.
not sure if it is a firmware problem or if usb-c plug is not stable enough physicaly.

I got the macbook into apple care and they said no problem found. Of course it is something that appears randomly and the devices will reconnect eventually.

If you shoot tethered that will not be a nice surprise on the job. Restart computer, pram reset and so on in front of the customer is never nice.

best regards

I'm having the same problem but on my 2015 15" MBP. USB no longer powers my A7R2 in charging mode and is dropping out every few seconds when tethering. Of course, 2 months out of warranty. Works fine with my much older 13".

BrownBear

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 09:06:08 am »

I started having some issues with my 2016 13" Air. But it's my habit to use it for weeks without a restart- just close and open as needed. A simple restart cleared up the USB problems.

orc73

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 01:26:29 am »

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 05:29:39 pm »

Tried to get one of the mid-2015 15" maxxed out models. GONE.

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 11:37:14 am »

How about docks?

degrub

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 12:05:24 pm »

Tried to get one of the mid-2015 15" maxxed out models. GONE.

B&H ?

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 01:55:44 pm »

I got my new MBP 15" this afternoon. Upgrade from the old old via a Thunderbolt 2 cable took less than an hour. So far USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter works, USB-C to USB 3.0 works for both individual drives and a USB 3.0 hub.

I ad thought that I could drive my Dell 4K external display using the thunderbolt 2 cable but not. I plan to upgrade to the LG 5K display anyway so until then I will use a USB-C to HDMI adapter which I need anyway. Only 30Hz refresh rate, but have to live with that. My external LaCie thunderbolt array works also without any issues.

This machine clearly runs a lot cooler than the previous MBP 2015 model using Lightroom. Much less fan noise which is nice. It feels a bit snappier as well.

So far no issues.

NancyP

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 08:57:39 pm »

That's good to know, Hans. I am waiting to see the new 2016 MBP in person. Maxxed out it is expensive, and I want to see what issues people have. The 2010 MBP is still working fine for the 20 MP files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up