Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Achieving tack sharp photos with Fuji X-T2 RAW files  (Read 22989 times)

rdonson

Re: Achieving tack sharp photos with Fuji X-T2 RAW files
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2017, 09:43:32 am »

Thanks for the very useful info! 

I'm no longer dubious about Iridient Developer.  I did enough testing and I plunked down my $99 US and I'm delighted by the results I get.  I'm able to roundtrip from Lr to ID with a reasonable workflow. 

I'm on a Mac so there is no IX-T available yet  When there is I'm confident that I will purchase it. 
Regards,
Ron

MBehrens

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2017, 11:02:11 am »

Good to hear.

I heard some concerns the other day on the FB X-T2 Group that sharpening should be the last task in RAW development and that by doing the sharpening up front we could be causing problems. I don't see any way around it in this scenario. Not sure what artifacts we might see in the image as a result of early sharpening. Curious what folks here think about this and what adjustment to workflow may be needed.

AnthonyM

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2017, 01:42:03 pm »

Ron, glad you have found a good solution.

MBehrens, the key to processing rafs is not, in my view, sharpening, but demosaicing.  I like Photo Ninja, Ron likes Iridient (which I greatly respect but not for my workflow).

LeonD

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2017, 04:11:45 pm »

I'm on a Mac so there is no IX-T available yet  When there is I'm confident that I will purchase it.

I've been a LR and ID user for a while now.  I'm just curious what the rationale is for purchasing IX-T if you already have ID?  Brian said about IX-T on his web site: Much of the core RAW processing, sharpening, noise reduction and lens corrections featured in this program are shared with Iridient Developer a more full-featured RAW processor that is available for macOS.

I'm just wondering what I'm missing.

Thanks.

rdonson

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2017, 05:45:53 pm »

Good to hear.

I heard some concerns the other day on the FB X-T2 Group that sharpening should be the last task in RAW development and that by doing the sharpening up front we could be causing problems. I don't see any way around it in this scenario. Not sure what artifacts we might see in the image as a result of early sharpening. Curious what folks here think about this and what adjustment to workflow may be needed.

It has long been said that there are three steps to sharpening (Bruce Fraser and then Jeff Schewe)
- capture sharpening
- creative sharpening
- output sharpening

- I see ID as serving my capture sharpening needs.
- Creative sharpening for me is selective and can be done in Lr or PS or a plugin like Nik Sharpener Pro
- output sharpening for me is mostly for printing and the Lr Print Module does a good job on that for me

Just my $0.02
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2017, 05:48:23 pm »

I've been a LR and ID user for a while now.  I'm just curious what the rationale is for purchasing IX-T if you already have ID?  Brian said about IX-T on his web site: Much of the core RAW processing, sharpening, noise reduction and lens corrections featured in this program are shared with Iridient Developer a more full-featured RAW processor that is available for macOS.

I'm just wondering what I'm missing.

Thanks.

Perhaps you're missing nothing.  I'm just guessing at this point but it might be a faster workflow to use IX-T over ID or maybe faster batch processing. 
Regards,
Ron

MBehrens

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2017, 07:22:48 pm »

MBehrens, the key to processing rafs is not, in my view, sharpening, but demosaicing.

I was thinking about doing some tests with just the demosaicing and minimal or no other adjustments and see what could then be achieved in LR. We'll see...

- Morey

rdonson

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2017, 10:02:06 am »

Morey, I've tried Iridient Developer with both the default settings and tweaking them.  For overall looks with regards to detail and elimination of the "worms" the default settings work well.  I find adjusting color and other post processing simply easier and more intuitive in Lightroom for me although that may be because of my longtime familiarity with Lightroom.
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2017, 10:06:35 am »

Ron, glad you have found a good solution.

MBehrens, the key to processing rafs is not, in my view, sharpening, but demosaicing.  I like Photo Ninja, Ron likes Iridient (which I greatly respect but not for my workflow).

Anthony, thanks for your inputs on this topic.  They were the impetus for me to seek a better solution.  I'm now thinking, like you, that the Adobe demosaicing algorithms leave something to be desired.  Here's hoping that Thomas Knoll and Eric Chan can eventually address this.
Regards,
Ron

AnthonyM

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2017, 06:01:38 am »

Thanks, Ron.  How do you find the speed of Iridient?  I have been trialling the full program (Mac), and the results are very good, but I do find there is quite a delay between making an adjustment and this becoming visible on the screen.

rdonson

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2017, 11:47:26 am »

Anthony, my experiences mirror yours.  It's slow compared to my other tools.  I haven't looked closely to see what the underlying coding platforms are though.   At one time DCRAW was an ANSI-C code base but I have no idea what is wrapped around that by Iridient.   
Regards,
Ron

AnthonyM

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2017, 12:12:35 pm »

Ron, thanks for the comment.

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2017, 12:26:53 pm »

Hi folks,

I just tried to down load the Iridient Beta for windows and Norton Anti virus immediately flagged and deleted the download as harmful.  Anyone else had this happen?

This is where the file I downloaded resides.  It looks legit but who knows  these days:
http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/xtransformer_download.html

MBehrens

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2017, 03:59:30 pm »

Hi folks,

I just tried to down load the Iridient Beta for windows and Norton Anti virus immediately flagged and deleted the download as harmful.  Anyone else had this happen?

This is where the file I downloaded resides.  It looks legit but who knows  these days:
http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/xtransformer_download.html
Have not had an issue and know of many others that have downloaded and installed. I personally don't use Norton, maybe they know something others don't.

rextilleon

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2017, 04:42:40 pm »

Iridient, as far as I am concerned does the best job when it comes to those X raw files that have a ton of fine detail and suffer from the mosaic effect   Unfortunately, as some have pointed its a very slow program, and it does take some getting use to.  There's something nice about being able to see your changes fairly quickly.  I use Lightroom for most of my sharpening and only bring the tough to deal with images into Iridient.  I will give the Nik sharpener a go now that it is FREE. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up