Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Timing is everything  (Read 1917 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Timing is everything
« on: November 23, 2016, 04:32:53 am »

From a few days ago.

I got to this scene when the glen was still mostly in deep shadow, but I knew from experience that the sun would soon rise over the hills to my right, so I set up my camera and waited for the light to wash into the glen and across the river before taking this shot.

Ten minutes later the heat from the sun began melting the hoar frost on the branches of the trees, which began to fall off and leave the trees looking bare.

Dave

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Timing is everything
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 04:42:57 am »

Very pretty, Dave.

Jeremy

francois

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 05:11:09 am »

Yes, great timing for this early winter vista. It looks cold…
Well done!
Francois

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 06:43:37 am »

Baaah... God's creation...you just pressed the shutter ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 08:06:38 am »

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 09:15:03 am »

Most banks would be happy to hang it on their walls, Dave. It's lovely.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Mjean

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 01:10:48 pm »

Beautifully shot!!!!

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 01:38:16 pm »

Lovely photo, Dave

David

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 05:30:18 pm »

Thanks everyone, glad you like it  :)

I have been shooting this scene for around five years now, as I must have thought it was going to be worth the effort in the end, even though I kept coming away with lots of 'nearly' shots. So being the stubborn person I am, I just kept going back (see attached files below for a couple of earlier examples from the last couple of years). But by going back again and again and not being satisfied with what I was getting, I did get to know where I thought it was best to set up my gear and what I wanted to shoot and how it needed to be a pano, as well as what lens to use and how the light works in this particular glen at this time of year etc. So when we had a minus 5C the other night and a bright clear day forecast, off I went again the following morning for yet another go and this time I finally got something I am really happy with.

So yes it only took three clicks at only 1/50th of a sec and God did all the work making it look pretty, but it also took me around five years of effort to get those three tiny clicks.

Does this mean I will not feel the need to go back here anymore?

Of course not  ;)

Dave

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 06:55:15 pm »

Brilliant, Dave. Gorgeous work and place. Love your narrative about going back again and again and in the future as well. Improving on what you have with this more recent photograph will be a tall order, indeed.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 10:01:02 am »

Thanks everyone, glad you like it  :)

I have been shooting this scene for around five years now, as I must have thought it was going to be worth the effort in the end, even though I kept coming away with lots of 'nearly' shots. So being the stubborn person I am, I just kept going back (see attached files below for a couple of earlier examples from the last couple of years). But by going back again and again and not being satisfied with what I was getting, I did get to know where I thought it was best to set up my gear and what I wanted to shoot and how it needed to be a pano, as well as what lens to use and how the light works in this particular glen at this time of year etc. So when we had a minus 5C the other night and a bright clear day forecast, off I went again the following morning for yet another go and this time I finally got something I am really happy with.

So yes it only took three clicks at only 1/50th of a sec and God did all the work making it look pretty, but it also took me around five years of effort to get those three tiny clicks.

Does this mean I will not feel the need to go back here anymore?

Of course not  ;)

Dave

Great image Dave.  I can empathize with everything you say here....

John R

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 11:11:45 pm »

Very natural looking images. I think it is always worth going back to the same areas and places, just like Monet did. Different seasons, light, weather, etc. Fine image.

JR

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 09:21:55 am »

Thanks again everyone  :)

Very natural looking images. I think it is always worth going back to the same areas and places, just like Monet did. Different seasons, light, weather, etc. Fine image.

JR

Thanks John and I absolutely agree, after just returning from a six week tour of OZ and NZ, I soon realised (or should that be realised once again) that we photographers spend far too much time and money travelling to various exotic places around the planet in the hope of capturing something truly awesome, yet more often than not come away with the typical cliched images that a million other photographers have already taken, which even though they are very enjoyable to acquire, they don't really feed your photographic soul do they? Whereas your local patch or somewhere you can easily get to regularly and during the best light or the best conditions at any time of year, is much more likely to allow you to produce something special and meaningful to you, because you are more likely to become emotionally attached to your local area and you will get to know its moods so well.

I am not saying let's all stop going to the famous exotic locations BTW, because where would the fun in that be, but I am saying from my experience, that the best work you will produce will probably come from much nearer to where your home is  ;)

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up