Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon User-Best RAW software  (Read 10931 times)

Tony Jay

Re: Canon User-Best RAW software
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 07:27:25 pm »

"What software do you know that has a GUI that you make a slider adjustment, and it doesn't work due to a prerequisite of another panel?"

Huh!
I think you need to furnish an example of what you mean.

Tony Jay

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 08:41:40 pm »

"What software do you know that has a GUI that you make a slider adjustment, and it doesn't work due to a prerequisite of another panel?"

Huh!
I think you need to furnish an example of what you mean.

Translation: most LR sliders are adaptive (or relative), i.e., the strength of adjustment on one slider depends on how much some other sliders are already moved.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 11:23:19 pm »

You are talking about having the ability to rearrange the GUI right...to the order you want to adjust the image. I say just learn to live with the way LR presents itself to you...adjust to it and move on. How long really does it take for you to scroll the panel down to the action you want to perform...couple seconds. Does that really make you less productive...really?

Yes , pretty simple. While I have been working with it the way it is, I was using LR and still have to for the larger part of my collection of over 10TB of images, and it does trip me up all too often. I have read of others with this request.

Since LR started, and finally they addressed the dual screen, I think in V3, as thats when I started using it. It may have been torwards ends of V2/?
But they never implemented a true Dual Screen setup, and still have not changed the structure to allow it. Much like the Dev panels
Its a simple issue that does trip me up. And since I have to play around with the arrows to min/max the modules, I also tap the Hide/Unhide.

I think a lot of this frustration is on top of the fact that it is so slow, and just waiting for the screen to be ready...So that added hicup is just salt on the wounds.

Tony, I'm not sure if you can get it by this example style description, but here goes...

In the Dev mode, If it was designed with more flexibility for the user, I should be able to click and drag the Lens module and pull it up and place it under Basic module. I can click drag the Split out of the way so I can have the Details expanded with another module below or above it show without scrolling around much.  Using 30" dual screens, I do need the mouse a bit sped up, so when doing detail editing and I slow it down, or even if I speed it up, these little details of GUI modification help in the workflow quite a lot when you spend 10-13 hour days working with such editing tools.

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Tony Jay

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 11:34:55 pm »

Translation: most LR sliders are adaptive (or relative), i.e., the strength of adjustment on one slider depends on how much some other sliders are already moved.
Neither of us knows whether this is what Phil is referring to...
Phil was using absolute language, nothing relative about it.

And, in any case, this is a problem, how...

Tony Jay

Tony Jay

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 12:00:08 am »

Tony, I'm not sure if you can get it by this example style description, but here goes...

In the Dev mode, If it was designed with more flexibility for the user, I should be able to click and drag the Lens module and pull it up and place it under Basic module. I can click drag the Split out of the way so I can have the Details expanded with another module below or above it show without scrolling around much.  Using 30" dual screens, I do need the mouse a bit sped up, so when doing detail editing and I slow it down, or even if I speed it up, these little details of GUI modification help in the workflow quite a lot when you spend 10-13 hour days working with such editing tools.
Phil, Adobe made various design decisions a long time ago.
Clicking and dragging panels around was just never the kind of functionality that they went for.
The fact that Photoshop does has this kind of functionality is an indication of the very different use cases and sheer complexity of the application itself that demands that kind of flexibility.
With Lightroom the decision was made to allow individual sub panels to be maximised or minimised or removed (hidden) if required and no more.
The bottom line is that re-ordering sub-panels is not a mission critical bit of functionality and I would prefer that Adobe address  much more pressing issues.

The fact is that it is possible to have the lens calibration panel sitting right underneath the basic panel if that is what you desire - just hide the intervening panels.

As for some of the other issues relating to dual monitors and mouse speed - I will say this: dual 30" monitors is a lot of real estate for any graphics setup. I would classify this as a hardware issue not a primary software problem.

Also I am curious to know what you meant by the sentence that I quoted a couple of posts back.

Tony Jay

NancyP

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 05:34:07 pm »

I am fine with scrolling to get to the desired Lr Develop action.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 03:05:58 am »

I am fine with scrolling to get to the desired Lr Develop action.

Those who don't like scrolling are often happier after enabling Solo Mode. Right click a panel header, and it's an option. It means only the active panel stays open.

FWIW Solo Mode is how I have always used Lightroom .

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 01:55:16 pm »

Yes, I too like Solo mode, at times. 
If there are specific shortcuts to some sliders to go to directly, which there likely are, and I haven't explored...
With a key stroke (or "programmed key", depending on keyboard type), I can go direct to that panel, then slide. Each of these are a bit different than going to a visible slider(or curve) and directly making a adjustment.

Speaking of the interface, I like most everything, and was simply having snags and slowdowns in my workflow by bouncing back and forth on these panels, and the Hide/Show column of panels.

Since Adobe made design decisions a long time ago, are we to not expect any maturity or growth?
Is there no reason to improve on decisions, are they written in stone?
Dual monitor was not an option, and certainly this was a shortsighted move when it was launched and for a couple versions. But they did make some version of it work, in a limited fashion.
In fact this was a reason I didn't use LR until they did this upgrade, as it gives a great level of efficiency in workflow. But they keep it locked and limited to work as a reciprocal to the main screen, rather than a full functioning window. Why? No need to rewrite some code?

The way software integrates to an OS is something a GUI designer either adapts to or restricts from.  The fact that Adobe has made it easier to use in general is a great thing.  It allows a welcoming and low learning curve.
If Capture 1 had used OS standards and menu systems as the older 3.7 version it would likely be more widely used. But their decision to have a closed unique system and go high end pro to stay apart and require training is part of their profit and marketing angle to be exclusive.
I think they have diluted this a touch recently, but if you don't use C1 for a few weeks or even days, and use another application, you can easily forget how it works.
So it takes time to familiarize yourself again with it.  I have used C1 since its first versions over the decade, and I still try and avoid it due to this. But if shooting with a MFormat back, there are no choices. And I have to say it is a superior processor.
This is why we "love" digital techs, and ramp up production costs. This insulates the market for agencies and the like.

So getting back to the GUI, there are a number of reasons one can come up with as to why LR cant grow up, or out of its shell, but what it has done is get new comers and novices get up and running on a simple GUI design.
Sadly, as a person grows to an advanced level, he or she needs to not only master the software by learning the shortcut mapping, but also feel confined to its limitation.  Rather than making the software work for your needs, you have to work for the software's restriction.

At some point we should be able to cut the cord.

The ability to changing the panel order is a small step along with limiting the Show and Hide of the entire column(this is just making the arrow active vs the entire bar), as I often hide it inadvertently.
Due to it being so slow with my current files, the bigger issue is the speed, and related tools like the brush tool that paints erratically in large sizes as it buffers and catches up, jumps around.

Anyway, for someone who uses it as a tool everyday, we can all think of reasons to make certain adjustments that might work better for one person or the other...But that happens when users have options.

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

vrkaya

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 10:34:53 pm »

I had my older Canon 5d Mark II converted to full spectrum for IR shooing and DPP is excellent for settIng white balance. Otherwise I use LR but it doesn't have enough "range" for the IR white balance.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up