Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon User/Capture One  (Read 2003 times)

cbserota

Canon User/Capture One
« on: November 22, 2016, 12:09:59 pm »

Just purchased a Canon 1DX Mark II.  Canon tech support recommends their free raw software-Canon DPP4. 
   Any recommendations and advice would be appreciated.
     Thanks

Charley

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Re: Canon User/Capture One
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 03:27:11 pm »

Just purchased a Canon 1DX Mark II.  Canon tech support recommends their free raw software-Canon DPP4. 
   Any recommendations and advice would be appreciated.
     Thanks

Charley

Naturally Canon would suggest that, as naturally I would suggest using Capture One.  ;)

I assume you want to tether the Canon as you mention DPP?

Capture One has a free 30 day trial, so you have nothing to lose in experimenting.

For a full run down on working tethered and file management, have a look at.

https://youtu.be/vCFgMWaALoA

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

cbserota

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 09:15:09 am »

David--I have no interest in tethering--just looking for the best image quality possible.  Canon's point is that their software is directly engineered for their cameras. They don't provide information to 3rd party developers, so Capture One and others need to reverse engineer the software. 

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 09:58:31 am »

David--I have no interest in tethering--just looking for the best image quality possible.  Canon's point is that their software is directly engineered for their cameras. They don't provide information to 3rd party developers, so Capture One and others need to reverse engineer the software.

Hi,

While there are (probably) some unused proprietary features in the Canon Raws, the main task of a Raw converter is to achieve a high-quality Demosaicing of the Raw data. In my experience, Capture One and RawTherapee provide the best conversions on both Mac OS, and MS Windows OS. Capture One currently even achieve a higher resolution conversion, with fewer artifacts than most other converters.

After the demosaicing step, there are many possible ways of processing the still in linear gamma Raw demosaiced data. Good profiles and good resampling are often the basic factors for success, the rest of the tools help with an efficient workflow.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

mediumcool

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 07:13:53 pm »

Try both. Nowt to lose.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 04:59:02 pm »

Canon's software, while free, is pretty clunky and somewhat limited in its scope of image adjustments. as several have said, try both and decide from that.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 05:41:15 pm »

For years, I thought that Canon's software must be better because it was developed by Canon and surely it had advantages over external developers. I could not have been more wrong and I can admit it. I tried the free trial from CaptureOne many years ago and did not care for it but version 8 changed my mind. It is now my go to lone image processor and is becoming more intuitive the more I use it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up