Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe CC-Read the small print.  (Read 11470 times)

Rob C

Re: Adobe CC-Read the small print.
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2016, 07:20:12 am »

Rob C,

Early in my career I ran across David Hamilton's work.  He had been around a long time by then and all I saw was printed material in books and there was very little nudity.  It was mostly ballerinas, and models in window light, which he was a master at.   I think he was sponsored by the third largest camera company, which has been sold to another company.

BC

BC,

I have his book, Twenty Five Years of an Artist, first published in '92.

In it, he recalls doing a show in America, and the room was full of young people. Almost all the hands were up in the air, folks wanting to pose questions. He says that he held up the camera, and said: one camera, one lens and always Ektachrome 200 film. At that, every hand went down. Apparently, nobody wanted to learn about art, technique, emotions or anything but camera and film brands.

You could say that now, twenty-four years later, not a lot has changed.

FWIW, in one shot, a mirror pic of himself and a model, he's sporting a Minolta slr.

In some ways, I wish I hadn't bought the book: he reveals some few personal character details I'd have lived more happily not knowing about him. Also, the book has more 'doubtful' images than I was expecting from the usual postcards and his seminal book, Dreams of Young Girls, which I thought, at the tme, to be beautiful. From it I developed a love for French straw hats, amongst the most beautifully evocative props you can imagine, if you find the right ones! Not easy to do: they need a perfect balance of crown, brim and floral decoration, or they just look crass.

Yes, I suppose one could classify him, on a rough day, as a nostagic fantasist; but that said, I would personally prefer that title to being author of some of the stuff on music videos that turns me right off, quite apart from the music itself.

Rob

N80

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2016, 08:58:24 am »

BC,

You could say that now, twenty-four years later, not a lot has changed.

I agree. The internet (including this site) is rife with content which is essentially pixel peeping and measurbating. For some, that is the whole of photography for them. Others could care less about the technical and focus on the art. Others do both and do both well. I'm not sure it is any worse now, per capita among serious photographers, than it was in Ansel Adam's day.

In some ways, I wish I hadn't bought the book: he reveals some few personal character details I'd have lived more happily not knowing about him.

I feel this way about a lot of people whose art I admire. Western culture needs to get over the idea that because someone is good at something and famous for that something that they are good at other things, including life. Most of the available evidence suggests quite the opposite. Makes me wonder why any of us cares about the opinion of any under-educated screen star, singer or athlete.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

Jan K.

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2016, 09:43:11 am »

... I just got through expunging all Adobe products from all of my computers. Feels so good. Don't miss a thing.

Some of the stuff they install is like a root kit... check the registry db and hidden folders and you'll find tons of things, they don't remove during normal uninstall...

Took me days to get everything adobe weeded out.  ::)

Feels good and don't miss anything either.

Re. alternatives... acdSee Ultimate 10 is worth a closer inspection, imho. It's become a seriously good package by now...

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2016, 11:57:43 am »

In other words, if you stop the perpetual drip, drip, drip, then you will lose the right to working your own pictures. That can't be just. Again it comes back to filmic analogy: imagine Kodak or anybody else expecting you to pay them each time you work on a transparency you once made on their material.

But you don't lose that right! When you stop paying you can still use Lr to manage and print/output your photos. It doesn't stop working. You can even continue to adjust them - using Quick Develop. What you do lose is the ability to make further fine quality adjustments in Lr's Develop or in Photoshop. If you don't pay for more print developer and fixer, Ilford don't have to send you more than you've already bought.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:01:20 pm by john beardsworth »

N80

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2016, 12:38:48 pm »

Correct. And that is a nice touch by Adobe, but really just being decent, which is what they aren't in other matters.
George

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2016, 12:55:11 pm »

Correct. And that is a nice touch by Adobe, but really just being decent, which is what they aren't in other matters.

It's more than decent. It's far more than was expected even by those of who know something about Adobe.

Rob C

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2016, 01:29:49 pm »

But you don't lose that right! When you stop paying you can still use Lr to manage and print/output your photos. It doesn't stop working. You can even continue to adjust them - using Quick Develop. What you do lose is the ability to make further fine quality adjustments in Lr's Develop or in Photoshop. If you don't pay for more print developer and fixer, Ilford don't have to send you more than you've already bought.

"Is that how it works? But that still means subscription, doesn't it?

In other words, if you stop the perpetual drip, drip, drip, then you will lose the right to working your own pictures. That can't be just. Again it comes back to filmic analogy: imagine Kodak or anybody else expecting you to pay them each time you work on a transparency you once made on their material."

The above is the complete quotation of my response to marton, and I wasn't stating anything, just writing down my understanding of what I'd just been told by him.

However, I'm totally PS beyond the basic Nikon Capture NX2 where I sometimes do a little correction.

AFAIK, PS is the only system that permits Layers, and I couldn't function without Layers, so not a lot of choice.

Rob

Manoli

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2016, 01:47:03 pm »

AFAIK, PS is the only system that permits Layers, and I couldn't function without Layers, so not a lot of choice.

Rob, honestly!
Pixelmator, Acorn, Affinity - that's just off the top of me 'ead. There are likely a ton more.

Edit:
GIMP, http://www.creativebloq.com/free-photo-editors-51411796 - all free.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 01:56:40 pm by Manoli »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2016, 01:53:27 pm »

If you are only talking PS, then ending a subscription does mean you can't do anything in Photoshop, so you can't fine tune existing images with it. Even if you had never installed Lr before, you can still do so and use it to adjust/output existing images.

Rob C

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2016, 02:16:54 pm »

Rob, honestly!
Pixelmator, Acorn, Affinity - that's just off the top of me 'ead. There are likely a ton more.

Edit:
GIMP, http://www.creativebloq.com/free-photo-editors-51411796 - all free.

Thanks Manoli, I had never heard of those systems! I shall record the link for posterity and possible use if it eventually becomes necessary to move...

Rob

N80

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2016, 02:32:32 pm »

Even Capture One 9 has layers. Obviously nowhere near as robust as PS, but still functional and improving.
George

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2016, 02:40:53 pm »

And Lightroom does many of the same things people use layers for, just without having layers.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up