Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading from Canon 7D to 5D MkIV, worth the cost?  (Read 4195 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Upgrading from Canon 7D to 5D MkIV, worth the cost?
« on: November 21, 2016, 08:41:15 am »

For over a year, I've been saving money to upgrade my old Canon EOS 7D to the new 5D MkIV. I've a lot invested in Canon L lenses and accessories, so the move to a new, full-frame camera sounded like a no-brainer, that is until I started reading the reviews. Chiefly, I'm concerned that the new 5D's sensor just isn't all that much of an improvement over what I have in the 7D, especially at the cost of the new body (~$3200).

I'd appreciate thoughts and opinions on my upgrade path. There are, of course, a lot of positives to me in upgrading to the 5D MkIV, including a full-frame sensor, touch panel, and the ability to use most of the stuff I have used on my 7D with the new body. The biggest "negative" (in quotes because I'm not at all certain how negative it truly is) is the MkIV's sensor. Good, bad, neutral?

Your thoughts, if you please, and thank you for your time and efforts.

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

northerngal

• Just a typical Alaskan....
Re: Upgrading from Canon 7D to 5D MkIV, worth the cost?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 03:06:10 am »

Hi Bob,
I will be interested in seeing what the answers are to your question.  I have the 5d mk II ( in fact I have 2 of them).  I certainly don't think I can justify going to the mkIV.  I shoot primarily landscapes, with the occasional wildlife photo, too.  I think a lot depends on what kind of photography you do.  Do you really want the full frame? My most used combination is the 5dmkii with a 100-400 lens, for landscapes.
What does the MkIV have over and above the MKIII?  I know some people who had gotten the MKIII, and they really liked how it handled low light, high ISO situations, but it just wasn't something I could justify, even though one of my biggest hurdles is dealing with the low light here.
 I am instead looking into the newer mirrorless cameras that are weatherproof.  I am nearly always shooting in some kind of weather, and I would really like to have a good, lightweight camera that can handle serious bad weather on a trip that is a bit rougher than your typical photography expedition.
As I said, will be interesting to see what others say. 

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 08:37:04 am »

Thanks northerngal. I'm not ready to go for a mirrorless camera, although there are many features in them that I truly like. Better light gathering ability and improved resolution over my 7D are the two top selling points I'm looking for, with compatibility of my existing lenses an absolute must. Of course, I want all this at a reasonable price.  ;)
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

scyth

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 12:05:42 am »

Chiefly, I'm concerned that the new 5D's sensor just isn't all that much of an improvement over what I have in the 7D

http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%205D%20Mark%20IV,Canon%20EOS%207D

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 07:31:17 am »

Thanks scyth. I'd not seen that site or chart before. It's very informative.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

marton

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 05:33:41 pm »

If it were me, and I had all that Canon glass, and I was looking for a FF option, at this point in time I'd buy the 5dsr. I think it's more likely a far superior option, and a cheaper option as well, not that that would be the difference, just saying.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 06:45:03 pm »

Your point is well taken. I've been thinking about the 5DSR as a viable alternative to the 5D MkIV. I'm not sure that the sensor is 'cutting edge' but it does fulfill most of my requirements/desires. Thanks for your input.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 04:53:54 am »

If it were me, and I had all that Canon glass, and I was looking for a FF option, at this point in time I'd buy the 5dsr. I think it's more likely a far superior option, and a cheaper option as well, not that that would be the difference, just saying.

FWIW, I bought a 5ds earlier this year, to replace my 5d2. I'm very happy with it. I went for the s rather than the sr after some discussion on this site which suggested that there wouldn't be that much difference. Also, a discount then on the s increased the price differential to £500 or thereabouts, so the decision was even easier. It would be nice to think that the main factor limiting the quality of my photos was the camera, but I'm not deluding myself...

Jeremy

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 05:54:24 am »

Your point is well taken. I've been thinking about the 5DSR as a viable alternative to the 5D MkIV.

Hi Bob,

Yes that's a tough call, because they are cameras made for different uses. The 5DS/R is possibly best if you can control the lighting quality, or can use HDR stacking for extreme lighting conditions. The DR of the 5DS sensor is not as high as that of the newer generation chip design that was used on the 5D MkIV (and the new technology does offer various benefits). However, the higher resolution does allow to compensate a lot if your final output size involves some downsampling.

So it depends on the type of subjects you shoot, and the output size requirements.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 08:23:23 am »

Thanks Jeremy and Bart. I have thought about the 5DS and 5DSR, but believe that they are not as well suited to my photography as the MkVI, which I feel could benefit from better light sensitivity and dynamic range rather than the huge pixel resolution of the 5DS. I could be wrong. Certainly the price on the 5DS is much lower. (BTW, I mistakenly said that the MkIV is $3200. That's wrong, and its $3499 US at B&H.)

One saving grace for me is that my 7D is fine for what I do, and it is functioning flawlessly (knock on wood it stays operational for a great while longer). So, I can use the 7D and wait for price drops or other models to come out.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Endeavour

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 04:17:10 pm »

I'll admit to not knowing about the 5div/s/r at all. Only 5d2 & 3

but arent they quite different cameras for different applications?

I had a 7d and a 5d2 (and then 5d3) and wouldnt use them for the same thing.

if it moves = 7d
if it doesnt = 5d

Endeavour

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 04:21:50 pm »

I'll admit to not knowing about the 5div/s/r at all. Only 5d2 & 3

but arent they quite different cameras for different applications? Has the shutter speed & autofocus surpassed the 7d?

I had a 7d and a 5d2 (and then 5d3) and wouldnt use them for the same thing.

if it moves = 7d
if it doesnt = 5d

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 01:13:54 am »

IF the 5DsR had a lower 30mPixel, or 28, or 24, or some options in RAW capture that would improve the speed of write, I would suggest it.

But if you don't need ultra crisp sharp files in small detail areas, and 50Mpixel files, then the mark IV is a great option.

A very nice alternate would be a ~$1500-1700 Mark III
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

graeme

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 03:20:30 am »

One saving grace for me is that my 7D is fine for what I do, and it is functioning flawlessly (knock on wood it stays operational for a great while longer).

( Heresy alert ).

So what do you need a new camera for? The photos you post on this forum don't look technically lacking in any way.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 08:03:54 am »

Point well taken, graeme. As I mentioned in the OP, I'm not rushing into this, and have a functioning 7D that I thoroughly enjoy. So, I plan on waiting and thinking about the decision for a while longer, maybe quite a bit longer. Thanks.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Larry Heath

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 05:25:56 pm »

So OK I am a bit late to the party here, but I will play the Nikon fanboy/troll anyway.

You could go out and buy a nice used Nikon D800E, and, 14mm to 24mm F2.8 to go with and still be in under budget for the 5DMkIV body alone, that is if you are seriously concerned about IQ/dynamic range/sensor performance.  My feeling is the D800E or D810A are likely as good as and possibly better landscape sensors than any of the sensors available in any Cannon body even the 5DS R body with 50 MP sensor. The 5D sensor does seem to be a better sensor than the 7D by a good bit, just not as good as can be had, particularly for dynamic range at typical landscape ISO’s.

What size images do you typically produce? If you are not routinely producing images on paper/canvas larger than say 24”x36”, I can’t see any significant need to change sensors/spend money on the latest and greatest from Cannon or anyone else, unless there are some other bells and whistles the body has you just can’t live without. So, do you routinely produce, or intend somewhere down the road to produce printed images say 40”x60” or larger? If so, then I’d say you likely need a better/larger sensor to do the job justice. Further if this is the case, I’d say forget Cannon and go Nikon if you want to stay in full frame 35mm land or there is always one of the ultra-high dollar medium format cameras if you see billboard size fine art prints in your future.

As someone has already succulently put it, the photos you post here are not lacking, nor those on your web site. Of course if you just want to buy a nice new toy with nice new shiny bells and whistles, well that is sure OK too, that is what makes the world go around. God knows I’ve done that a time or two in my life and not felt the least regret in the doing. I am sure that many here have and will help with a multitude of rationalizations to help you pull/not pull the trigger on that purchase.

So bottom line, for me, lots of giant sized physical prints, go for a larger better sensor of whatever stripe or verity suites your fancy, I say Nikon, otherwise keep what you have and spend the coin elsewhere.

one iota

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 08:52:03 pm »

So OK I am a bit late to the party here, but I will play the Nikon fanboy/troll anyway.

You could go out and buy a nice used Nikon D800E, and, 14mm to 24mm F2.8 to go with and still be in under budget for the 5DMkIV body alone, that is if you are seriously concerned about IQ/dynamic range/sensor performance.  My feeling is the D800E or D810A are likely as good as and possibly better landscape sensors than any of the sensors available in any Cannon body even the 5DS R body with 50 MP sensor. The 5D sensor does seem to be a better sensor than the 7D by a good bit, just not as good as can be had, particularly for dynamic range at typical landscape ISO’s.

What size images do you typically produce? If you are not routinely producing images on paper/canvas larger than say 24”x36”, I can’t see any significant need to change sensors/spend money on the latest and greatest from Cannon or anyone else, unless there are some other bells and whistles the body has you just can’t live without. So, do you routinely produce, or intend somewhere down the road to produce printed images say 40”x60” or larger? If so, then I’d say you likely need a better/larger sensor to do the job justice. Further if this is the case, I’d say forget Cannon and go Nikon if you want to stay in full frame 35mm land or there is always one of the ultra-high dollar medium format cameras if you see billboard size fine art prints in your future.

As someone has already succulently put it, the photos you post here are not lacking, nor those on your web site. Of course if you just want to buy a nice new toy with nice new shiny bells and whistles, well that is sure OK too, that is what makes the world go around. God knows I’ve done that a time or two in my life and not felt the least regret in the doing. I am sure that many here have and will help with a multitude of rationalizations to help you pull/not pull the trigger on that purchase.

So bottom line, for me, lots of giant sized physical prints, go for a larger better sensor of whatever stripe or verity suites your fancy, I say Nikon, otherwise keep what you have and spend the coin elsewhere.

Two things Larry: Canon not Cannon! and succinctly not succulently!

The rest depends on the lens after all that is all a camera body is there for! :-)
Mahn England
Pages: [1]   Go Up