Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Innocent  (Read 9976 times)

N80

Re: Innocent
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2016, 11:13:42 am »

Unless the suspect is a direct and immediate threat that can not be mitigated by other methods, it should be up to the court to decide if they need killing.

The source remains irrelevant. The initial comment indicated that police will feel empowered to shoot people unnecessarily due to the change in the political playing field. Then he cites 2016 data would seem to counter his point! Regardless, the comment betrays the kind of stereotyping that liberals usually decry as a sign of being close-minded and intolerant. Would a cop who supported Clinton be more likely to shoot someone without cause because Trump got elected? The whole nature of the comment is both ignorant and offensive.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

N80

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2016, 11:18:28 am »

In the military we had Regulation 4-16.

The E-4 with the M-16 pointing at you is, at least temporarily, in command of the situation.  ;)

We were sitting in the O club at Eglin Air Force Base in the early 90s when we saw a B2 in a pattern for landing. We jumped in the car to go see it. As it crossed the road, taxiing in toward the hanger I got out and snapped a few pics with my Nikon FG. As we drove off an MP pulled us over and demanded the camera. I gave it to him. He made a few calls and then returned the camera, film intact.

He was enlisted, very polite. I was an officer, also very polite. At that moment he was in the position of authority. I complied accordingly.

Different situation altogether of course. All participants here were essentially 'owned' by the USAF.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2016, 11:32:49 am »

Unless the suspect is a direct and immediate threat that can not be mitigated by other methods, it should be up to the court to decide if they need killing.

Exactly. Considering how many cops have been shot, though, if you were faced with a guy with a gun pointing your way, what would YOU do? I'd blow is ass away because I'd like to be able to go home to my wife and kids. It was that way in the military and it's that way on the street.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

BobDavid

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2016, 02:53:10 am »

I had no idea this topic would set off a firestorm.

I knew from the moment I saw that squad car pull up that I'd have to hand over my ID.

I was also prepared to remain calm and to address the officer with respect.

Before handing over my ID, I acknowledged her concerns. I also repeated my reluctance. Neither of us provoked the other to become emotional, irrational, or stupid. To her credit, she observed I was polite, willing to answer her questions, and posed no threat. It is worth noting my handicap parking pass was in plain sight.

I employed common sense body language: hands in view, relaxed posture, and appropriate eye contact. On a nonverbal level, I communicated respect. That is why she put up with my protestations, at least to the point where she decided she'd had enough.

I harbor no ill will towards her. She did her job. And I did what I wanted to do.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up