Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Innocent  (Read 9977 times)

BobDavid

Innocent
« on: November 21, 2016, 01:38:09 am »

So I am working on a series of photos on substations. Nothing serious, just for the fun of it. Early yesterday, about an hour into the shoot, the LAW stops by to investigate. A deputy asked me to explain myself. I asked if I was trespassing. She said no. I asked if I was breaking the law. She said no. I then said I am taking pictures of the substation. She asked me why. I told her that I am an artist and that I think substations are interesting. ... She asked to see my license. I reminded her that I was not trespassing nor was I breaking the law as she had just confirmed. I remained calm and polite. She told me she was becoming impatient. I agreed I was too. I asserted that I was not breaking the law. She did not back down. I contemplated for a moment or two on what to do. On the one hand, I wasn't doing anything wrong. On the other hand, I didn't want to get shot. So I showed her my ID. She went back into her squad car. A colleague pulled up in an unmarked vehicle. I took several pictures of them. Unfortunately, my telephoto lens was not handy. ... Later, I telephoned the Sheriff's department and asked to speak to the deputy's sergeant. I explained that I take pictures of substations. I mentioned that I would be photographing another substation later this week--preferably at night. I told him which one. He said that particular one is out of the county's jurisdiction. He was most cordial. ... I emailed him a few samples of my artwork. I offered to send the deputy who investigated me a signed 8" X 10" print. Starting now, I think I will inform law enforcement as to my whereabouts when I go out photographing, especially during nighttime. I've been stopped several times now.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 12:53:29 pm by BobDavid »

stamper

Re: Innocent
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 02:48:33 am »

Sub stations are a target for terrorists and it looks like they were only doing their job. Perhaps it would be better to choose another subject unless you enjoy confrontations?

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 04:28:29 am »

Indeed; whilst being a photographer can be fun, being a cop is something else, and far more serious.

It's part of what a cop does: look for suspicious circumstances and actions. Nobody other than a snapper looks at such installations as works of art: more are they considered an ugly intrusion into life and the neighbourhood. Be honest: who'd choose to buy next door to one?

I'd imagine that police have access to the Internet, so why not simply give them one's card and ask them to tune in and check one out? I'm considering taking my butt down to the big smoke and spending a while shooting inside a large chain store. There is security, of course, and I suppose I should ask the PR department for clearance first, but I suspect that they will refuse for the same reasons David's cop was less than thrilled: security worries. Why would anyone want to photograph inside a shop unless they were up to something unpleasant? The concept of OOF glitter, point-of-sales publicity materials etc. and pretty señoritas attending clients or just standing around looking charming might seem doubtfull. Hell, it is doubtful, but it would please me nonetheless!

Rob

stamper

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 05:10:52 am »

I was shooting in the Glasgow underground, Scotland a few months ago, which is legal with a small camera, no flash, or model shoots. Was approached by two persons at different stations. The first said it wasn't allowed which he was completely wrong. The second stated that cctv had been following me and they thought I was planning a crime. They had a job to do but at the time I was hacked off. :(

Otto Phocus

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 06:50:49 am »

I am glad that you decided to show the police your ID.  You may not have been required to, and you may have been in your rights not to (depends on the jurisdiciton), but strategically, I feel it was the right decision you made.

But

What do you think would have happened, if you had just shown your ID to the police officer when first asked?  The whole thing could have quickly become a non-issue.

Yes, you were not trespassing
Yes, you were not breaking any laws

Were you doing something that might be considered suspicious?  Yes

The police have a responsibility to investigate that which appears to be suspicious and part of that investigation would include getting the name of the person.

Refusing to show ID... do you think that will make you appear more or less suspicious?  What did you think the police officer's reaction would be?

What do you think this police officer's opinion of photographers is after this incident?

BTW, telling a police officer that you are losing patience with them is probably not a good idea if you want to avoid escalation. That statement may be construed as aggressive as it is implying (threatening?) a potential future action.

"Starting now, I think I will inform law enforcement as to my whereabouts when I go out photographing, especially during nighttime. I've been stopped several times now. "

That might be a good idea. Especially if you are in an area where there is a smaller police department. Please keep in mind that you had far more information than the police did concerning this incident.... you knew that you were just a photo nut and not a terrorist nut.  But the police officer did not know this. I don't know where you were, but there are areas in the US where the police have a consequentialist attitude when it comes to "public service".

It sounded like you handled this pretty well and remained calm.  I am glad it did not escalate.

Next time, you might not be lucky enough to have a police office as patient as this one was.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 10:05:17 am »

Here in the US, it would have been completely within my right to not have cooperated with the deputy. If substations are terrorist targets, then it is the responsibility of the utility company to install barricades, hire armed guards, and employ video surveillance.

My attorney chastised me for being intimidated and handing over my ID. The ACLU confirmed that under the Bill of Rights, my civil liberties were violated.

I will continue with the substation series. It's possible that I will hire an off-duty cop to accompany me during my next substation photo shoot, which will be a nighttime photo.

I intend on exhibiting the photos.

https://www.google.com/search?q=substations&espv=2&biw=1163&bih=680&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-iOjpkrrQAhVJKGMKHT0-DqMQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1.65
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 10:21:35 am by BobDavid »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 10:14:48 am »

This provides another reason for publishing your book (including some substations). You could then carry one with you on your outings and show it first to anyone who questions what you are doing.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 10:24:17 am »

This provides another reason for publishing your book (including some substations). You could then carry one with you on your outings and show it first to anyone who questions what you are doing.

I have several photos in my car and on my phone. The deputy did not take me up on my offer to have a look see. If I was an African American or a Muslim, the situation may have turned out differently.

The cop had every right to ask me what I was up to. I explained why I was there and what I was doing. I invited her to run my license plate and match it up with my name.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 10:40:11 am by BobDavid »

BobDavid

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 10:35:24 am »

Here is a copy of the email I sent Sergeant Clegg.

Dear Sergeant Clegg,

Thank you for returning my telephone call on behalf of Deputy Piper. As promised, I have attached some samples of my artwork on electrical substations. I am working on a series that will ultimately consist of twenty photographs. Each photo will be printed on 20" X 20" archival paper. A limited edition box set will be available for collectors.

I extend my apologies to Deputy Piper. I was curt, nothing personal. Apparently being atop a ladder on the perimeter of an electric substation with a camera raises suspicions. Ironically, I am afraid of heights. A concerned passerby telephoned the department. Piper was dispatched to investigate.

Incidentally, I took a side view photograph of the Deputy's squad car. I may want to incorporate that element into the final image. Of course, I ask your permission to do so.

I take most of my photographs after dark. I do not trespass, and I do not take photos that may be construed as disrespectful. I am more than willing to inform the Sarasota County Sheriff's Department of my whereabouts so as not to alarm citizens and the department. In fact, should a squad car be in my vicinity, I would appreciate being checked up on. I have been threatened in the past.

As a gesture of goodwill, I'd be happy to send Deputy Piper a hand-signed print (8" X 10") from today's photo outing.

Sincerely yours,

Robert Rosinsky

PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF THIS EMAIL

N80

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 11:09:59 am »

Sure, we have to be vigilant. Sure we are going to have to interact with the police. You did a good job. The officer, however, crossed the line. She had plenty of available evidence not to have required your ID or to become impatient with you. In your situation her patience should have been endless.

This was a tiny incident. There are many others. And in my opinion THIS is how you know when the terrorists are winning. It isn't how many car bombs they set off. It isn't how many people they behead. It is when the culture they are attacking trades freedom for security.

We need to remember, our government can makes us almost completely secure. It is entirely possible. The key words upon which the meaning of this statement hinge are "us" and "completely secure". Who is "us"? What will it be like to be "completely secure"?

George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

Otto Phocus

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 11:54:13 am »

My attorney chastised me for being intimidated and handing over my ID. The ACLU confirmed that under the Bill of Rights, my civil liberties were violated.

You might want to be careful about this.  It is not as simple or cut and dried as some may think.  "No Supreme Court decisions directly address a photographer’s First Amendment rights." (reference below)  Isolated cases have been decided, but there is no overall ruling.

I recommend reading  http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/photography-the-first-amendment

It is and will probably stay a complicated issue.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

BobDavid

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 12:41:35 pm »

Terrorists like to target places where there are lots of people. Take the incident at The Pulse in Orlando, or the bombing in Paris, or crazed gunmen mowing down innocents in Columbine, Charleston, and other communities.  If terrorists are interested in targeting the power grid, it will be through cyber attacks, not messing up substations off the main grid.

We live in an era of fear, uncertainty, and doubt. A 70-year old man was run off the road and beaten up a few days ago here in my hometown, Sarasota. The guy who beat up the old man was young. The bully did not like the old man's gay pride bumper sticker. While pounding the crap out of him, the bully raged, "This is now Trump Country." The article was buried in the local press. There are no searchable accounts of this on the internet.

I watched two interesting films over the weekend: "Trumbo" and "The Red Menace." The latter is a propaganda film produced and filmed at Republic Studios in the late 1940s. Trumbo is about HUAC's assault on people who were naive social activists during the depression and post depression era. There are stunning similarities between the witch hunts of the early cold war era and the current political climate in Western Europe and the US. ... A funny twist of fate: Chancellor Merkel is now the preeminent spokeswoman for human rights and international cooperation.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 12:51:30 pm by BobDavid »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 12:51:03 pm »

You might want to be careful about this.  It is not as simple or cut and dried as some may think.  "No Supreme Court decisions directly address a photographer’s First Amendment rights." (reference below)  Isolated cases have been decided, but there is no overall ruling.

I recommend reading  http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/photography-the-first-amendment

It is and will probably stay a complicated issue.

Bob could claim both 1st (free speech) and 4th amendments (unreasonable search and seizure). Not sure there is a ground for ACLU or lawyers though. Bob wasn't prevented from taking photographs, so no 1st amendment violation. He was temporarily "seized," (i.e., stopped in doing what he was doing), but was in "unreasonable"?

A quote from a lawyer:

There is a three part test the United States Supreme Court developed to evaluate reasonableness.

The gravity of the public interest which will be served by the seizure
The degree to which the seizure advances public interest
How greatly the seizure interferes with personal liberties

Based on the above, what officer did can not easily be described as "unreasonable." There certainly is a public interest in preventing terrorism. "How greatly..." I would say it amounted to a minor inconvenience, thus again not "unreasonable."

In short, I think both Bob and the police officer acted reasonably under the circumstances (bar the "losing patience" part).

pearlstreet

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 12:53:27 pm »

I had a state trooper pull his weapon on me once when I reached under the seat for my purse. He was nervous because a fellow officer had been killed at a traffic stop not long before.  I'm all for protecting our rights, but you are really overreacting if you called your attorney and the ACLU because you were asked some questions. You were allowed to continue. I don't get it. If I were to look at that first shot, as a cop, I wouldn't get the claim it was art. Not that it isn't but it certainly isn't obvious.

Sharon

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 12:58:04 pm »

... If terrorists are interested in targeting the power grid, it will be through cyber attacks, not messing up substations off the main grid..

I beg to differ. NATO specifically targeted electrical and heating substations in the civilian parts of Belgrade during the bombing. The goal was to shut them down so that the population remains without electricity and heating, hoping that would cause a revolt against the government (Milosevic) and overturn it. My friend, who was staying in my apartment at the time, was knocked off by a bomb that hit one just a few hundred yards from the apartment.

BobDavid

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 01:01:00 pm »

I had a state trooper pull his weapon on me once when I reached under the seat for my purse. He was nervous because a fellow officer had been killed at a traffic stop not long before.  I'm all for protecting our rights, but you are really overreacting if you called your attorney and the ACLU because you were asked some questions. You were allowed to continue. I don't get it. If I were to look at that first shot, as a cop, I wouldn't get the claim it was art. Not that it isn't but it certainly isn't obvious.

Sharon

The lawyer is a close friend. The ACLU volunteer and I attend lunch on a weekly basis. The cop raised her voice and said she was losing her patience. I calmly said I was too. I kept my calm, my hands were in clear sight, and I was wearing a T-Shirt with the logo of my erstwhile photography company emblazoned on it. I don't think the deputy was out of line by asking a few questions, though her intimidation tactics were. ... If I hadn't shown her my ID, I would have been hauled off in her squad car and not allowed to continue--possibly handcuffed.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:11:21 pm by BobDavid »

BobDavid

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 01:07:12 pm »

I beg to differ. NATO specifically targeted electrical and heating substations in the civilian parts of Belgrade during the bombing. The goal was to shut them down so that the population remains without electricity and heating, hoping that would cause a revolt against the government (Milosevic) and overturn it. My friend, who was staying in my apartment at the time, was knocked off by a bomb that hit one just a few hundred yards from the apartment.

NATO tactics in the midst of a hot war caused "collateral" damage. But in the US, to my knowledge, substations have not been targeted.

pearlstreet

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 01:17:49 pm »

NATO tactics in the midst of a hot war caused "collateral" damage. But in the US, to my knowledge, substations have not been targeted.

How would you know that?

We covered a very hot issue here regarding beach erosion. The group installing the erosion control efforts on the beach hired local police for traffic control and I had a couple of run-ins with them trying to stop me from photographing what they were doing, some of which violated state and federal regulations. One poor young cop called his sergeant and said in a high voice "She won't take no for an answer!" That actually made me laugh in the heat of the moment and I said yes I will take no for an answer but the sergeant told the police officer to let me shoot. So I didn't pursue the issue any further with the police. If they had tried to completely shut me out, then I would have pursued legal action. Once they tried to stop me from seeing that they were installing illegal drainage of the wetlands. Didn't work. I got the shots and the group got the fine.

Sharon

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 01:30:23 pm »

NATO tactics in the midst of a hot war caused "collateral" damage...

Nope.

Not collateral damage, but purposefully targeted. Given my personal interest in the situation, I remember a NATO commander publicly stating the purpose of targeting substations as I described above, to "persuade" the population to react in a certain way (a textbook definition of terrorism, including state terrorism).

BobDavid

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 01:52:47 pm »

Nope.

Not collateral damage, but purposefully targeted. Given my personal interest in the situation, I remember a NATO commander publicly stating the purpose of targeting substations as I described above, to "persuade" the population to react in a certain way (a textbook definition of terrorism, including state terrorism).

Being caught in the crossfire of war is out of the realm of my imagination. I hope it is something I will not experience. Just out of curiosity, how did/do your compatriots view Tito?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up