Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Hasselblad X1D Prepares to Deliver  (Read 22683 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
The Hasselblad X1D Prepares to Deliver
« on: November 20, 2016, 03:43:14 pm »

I note that my B&H order for the Hasselblad X1D system is suddenly being processed and made ready for shipment, credit cards I imagine being charged, etrc. No tracking number given, yet.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: The Hasselblad X1D Prepares to Deliver
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 11:27:45 pm »

Congratulations to Hassy and best wishes for those with one on preorder.

The era of digital mirrorless larger-than-35mm format begins!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 08:13:19 am by Doug Peterson »

minicoop1985

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 07:02:48 am »

This is fantastic news. Hasselblad really needs this as a kick in the pants.

What Chris said makes me wonder. Will Leica or Mamiya come out with a mirrorless medium format digital rangefinder? This could be interesting.
Michael Long
Hasselblad H3D 39, Canon 5D mark II

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 10:41:38 am »

Hi Doug,

You forgot another one, the camera in the foreground in the enclosed image…

Best regards
Erik

Thanks. I'm quite familiar with the Mamiya 7 :).

I've now expressly added the implied word "digital" in my well wishes.
Erik Kaffehr

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 12:53:53 pm »

Too bad those beautiful Mamiya7 lenses do not have a digital body to fit them.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 01:03:15 pm »

Checked with B&H, and they are processing, but don't have the camera in stock. They sent me the 30mm lens, and had others ready to go. So, we are still waiting for Hasselblad to come across with the actual camera. Sorry.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:30:30 pm by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 08:59:21 am »

Michael, no need to apologize. There are others of us in the same boat. I wasn't aware that the XCD 30mm was shipping. The XCD 45mm and 90mm are in stock and the 30mm shows January availability. I've pre-ordered the 30mm but no joy yet from B&H.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 10:44:35 am »

It is disappointing that Hasselblad is taking customers money for lenses that cannot be used (yet).

This is not right. IMHO.

sgilbert

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 11:22:57 am »

Hasselblad isn't "taking: the money;  B&H are.  And they're "taking" the money from people who have presumably decided they'd rather have the lenses they want even if the camera isn't ready yet.

I guess it'd be different if someone bought a lens based on a promise Hasselblad made about the availability of the camera.  Is that the case?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 04:25:33 pm »

Hi,

I was in a pretty similar state with Sony A7rII one and a half year ago. The camera was announced in June and I got mine end September. Got some lens stuff before having a camera to test it on.

In this case, Hasselblad is delivering lenses before delivering any camera body those lenses could be used with. This may be a bit disputable. It may be that lens owners encounter issues once they receive a camera they can put their lenses on.

Hopefully, Hasselblad will be helpful in resolving any possible issues.

On the other hand, we must realise that mirrorless cameras are a bit demanding on the firmware side. Hasselblad probably encountered an unexpected problem or two in putting the X1D into production. It is probably better that customers get a finished product than a not fully functional prototype.

There is another aspect. When a new camera is released there will be a lot of test reports, and those test reports may indicate any weakness with the product. Most of those things can be improved with firmware updates. But firmware updates won't repair initial test reporting.

Things Take Time, we need to accept that!

Best regards
Erik

Hasselblad isn't "taking: the money;  B&H are.  And they're "taking" the money from people who have presumably decided they'd rather have the lenses they want even if the camera isn't ready yet.

I guess it'd be different if someone bought a lens based on a promise Hasselblad made about the availability of the camera.  Is that the case?
Erik Kaffehr

hasselbladfan

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 03:34:11 am »

Hasselblad isn't "taking: the money;  B&H are. 

Yes, they promised the camera for end August.

Let's not be naive. If B&H takes the money, it will flow very quickly to H.

Depending where you are in the waitlist, it may take months before you can use the lenses that are billed in November.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 05:09:01 pm »

Yes, they promised the camera for end August.

Let's not be naive. If B&H takes the money, it will flow very quickly to H.

Depending where you are in the waitlist, it may take months before you can use the lenses that are billed in November.

At the moment, everybody is preannouncing cameras they don't supply for at least 6 months after showing prototypes. It's an industry trend.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 01:31:50 am »

At the moment, everybody is preannouncing cameras they don't supply for at least 6 months after showing prototypes. It's an industry trend.

Not quite true. Phasone announced the IQ3+XF and it was available the same day.

Cheers,
Bernard

hasselbladfan

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 06:06:50 am »

This not my point.

I agree : delays can happen, planned or unplanned. :)   But if they happen you don't bill your customers for lenses they cannot use.

You keep these lenses then nicely in your warehouse till you are ready to ship the cameras. That is customer service.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 08:02:20 am »

I would think everyone would want to do this.  I imagine impulse and excitement sales would be a lot more plentiful too.

Cheers,
Bernard
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 08:02:57 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

Available in very limited numbers less than 10 most likely.   There was a long wait 3 months on average (not as long as this situation) for initial orders that become much worse after the earthquakes in Japan.

Phase also gave preference to new orders not upgrades from previous backs. Something I found to be a bit disappointing.

Edit:  However I only had to pay a 20% deposit on the IQ100, not the full cost as it seems some folks may have paid full for the kit back when it announced.  However usually in cases like this in the US B&H will not charge your card until the product is available. 

Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:12:48 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

hcubell

• http://www.howardcubell.com
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 09:00:37 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

Actually, Ye ars before the XF was formally announced, Phase One and its dealers had been privately telling or at least implying to anyone who asked that Phase was working on a brand new body that would replace the legacy Mamiya Body, particularly when another warmed over iteration of the Mamiya body appeared and everyone groaned. 

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 09:26:19 am »

Actually, Ye ars before the XF was formally announced, Phase One and its dealers had been privately telling or at least implying to anyone who asked that Phase was working on a brand new body that would replace the legacy Mamiya Body, particularly when another warmed over iteration of the Mamiya body appeared and everyone groaned.

There is a world of difference between talk of developing a new body, camera, or lens---and an actual official company announcement of a product release, specifications, etc.  In this regard, Phase One has been pretty consistent in its announcements and delivery of cameras, lenses and MFDBs.  Hasselblad, not so much. The X1D may not be the flagship offering, but imho, successful delivery of the X1D is of utmost importance to Hasselblad. It says a lot about innovation, something fresh and new, rather than simply adopting the most recent sensor that Phase One is using and insert it into its own brand of MFDBs. The delays hurt. I hope a lot of X1Ds get delivered for Christmas.

There is also a big difference between prototypes being tested and official announcements with orders being taken.  Delay is not the new norm or an industry trend.  ::)   ...and I doubt Hasselblad is complacent about the X1D delay or attributing it to an acceptable industry trend.

hubell

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 11:23:51 am »

There is a world of difference between talk of developing a new body, camera, or lens---and an actual official company announcement of a product release, specifications, etc.

Yes, the former is much worse in my mind. It creates Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt that handicap one's ability to plan acquisitions of equipment around a reasonable timetable. I would rather have a company make an announcement of a product and say it is our intention to deliver this in 3-4 months than whisper in people's ears that they are working on a new camera body, the subtext of which is to be patient and don't jump ship. Did anyone have a problem with Fuji announcing the GFX camera, which gave potential buyer of the X1D a heads up about a competitive offering?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 02:20:29 pm »

Hi,

I would say roadmaps are good and rumours are not so good.

Best regards
Erik

Yes, the former is much worse in my mind. It creates Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt that handicap one's ability to plan acquisitions of equipment around a reasonable timetable. I would rather have a company make an announcement of a product and say it is our intention to deliver this in 3-4 months than whisper in people's ears that they are working on a new camera body, the subtext of which is to be patient and don't jump ship. Did anyone have a problem with Fuji announcing the GFX camera, which gave potential buyer of the X1D a heads up about a competitive offering?
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up