Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Traditional / contemporary landscapes  (Read 10857 times)

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: Traditional / contemporary landscapes
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 04:04:36 pm »

Victor_John

• Changing Static Images
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 04:19:35 am »

Thanks everyone for your replies. In the end I am happy with the image and it has turned out very close to how I felt about it at the time. Rather than pre-visualisation I prefer to go to a location and see what emotions it evokes in me rather than go with preconceived ideas especially as in this instance  I had never been to this location before. I did know that I would be dealing with backlit Autumn foliage and chose a time to promote this.
If I revisit a location I may pre-visualise how I wish an image to turn out but on many occasions this leads to disappointment
Producing images in the manner of various well known landscape photographers is not something I am interested in no matter how much I may admire their images but looking at how they may handle aspects of photography like luminosity in water or portraying movement in an image has made me question and sometimes change my practice. Knowing that their is another approach usually starts me experimenting. My present infatuation with moving water has taken 15 months of experimentation.
It would appear that contemporary landscape photography does not exist in this context UNLESS SOMEONE WANTS TO ENLIGHTEN ME and that the judges in this competition were just a little sloppy.
Ken

An alternate view might be to use an electronic display and add "time" as a dimension.  That is have a sequence of images that convey the water movement or how the light changes throughout the day.  That certainly would not be "traditional".

camgarner

• cgarnerphoto.com
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 07:36:44 am »

I like your photo and to me it's traditionally based on subject matter and the processing.  It reminds me of a "traditional" painting.  I confess I don't know how to define traditional or contemporary as it's not black and white (no pun intended) but more of a continuum.  For me, I often know it when I see it but I'm guessing it's almost impossible to define.  I have attached the link to one of my photos that I consider contemporary.  I processed the image to minimize the variation in color palette to help emphasize the minimalist design.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=95556.0;attach=160270;image
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:12:59 pm by camgarner »

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 07:58:57 am »

What comes to mind is a Turner or Constable painting, not a photograph. Perhaps this is what the judge meant, which is definitely not a slight, but a compliment! It's a compellling landscape that, I'm sure, most would like in their portfolio!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

BenSimon

• Flickr sets
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 03:45:54 am »

Did you ask the judge to explain what he or she meant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patjoja

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 01:39:12 am »

traditional = common?  A cascading stream is a fairly common landscape theme?  I really like your shot...the light is wonderful.

As a landscape photographer myself, it does give me pause regarding my own scene selections.  I'm not sure how or what a non-traditional landscape might be since the essence of landscape photography to me is capturing the beauty of nature. 

Patrick
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up