Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zurich in the Fall / early Winter  (Read 1387 times)

Jamboree

Zurich in the Fall / early Winter
« on: November 18, 2016, 05:30:26 pm »

I'm headed to Zurich in a few day's for a few weeks.

I'm looking like crazy to find places to shoot -- any recommendations?

I will be staying within Zurich/Public transportation zones

The farthest I can go to is day trips - like maybe 3hrs at bet by train.

Any type of shooting is fine - but I'd love to do some landscape stuff.

FabienP

Re: Zurich in the Fall / early Winter
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 05:38:48 pm »

Zurich in itself should be OK for street photography and architecture. You will also benefit from Christmas markets, which is a plus at this time of year.

However, for landscape photography, late November to mid-December is by far the least interesting time. Fall colours can no longer be seen and snow can only be found in high altitude ski resorts. The weather can be awful with persistent low altitude clouds (stratus) which will wash out contrast and colours, turning an otherwise good weather day in a daylong crepuscule with no sunset :(. In this case, your best hope is to head for the Alps and hope to find a place that is located above the clouds.

However, do not despair ;D. 3 hours by train will allow you to reach almost any part of the country (with maybe the exception of Valais/Wallis) so you still have a lot of potential for landscape photography outside of the Zurich area and above stratus.

Not far away from Zurich, I would recommend doing a day trip to the Säntis region or climb to one of the mountains next to Lucerne (Rigi or Pilatus). There are nice views over the lake from any of these mountains.

Farther away, I would recommend the Engadin valley. Do me a favour and do not go to St. Moritz. Unless you happen to like creatures standing on two feet and wearing pelts, or want to find the very people who appear in the work of Martin Parr ;). Well, you might have to change trains in this place, but do not waste your time there. Go to Sils/Segl and walk around one of the lakes. Alternatively, go to Pontresina/Puntraschigna and head for the Roseg Valley. There is a nice view of the glacier next to Piz Bernina up there that can be reached on foot or by cross-country ski. Other villages such as Zuoz have many traditional houses featuring an interesting architecture.

If you want to learn a bit about history and happen to still be there on the 12th of December, head to Geneva and have a look at the Fête de l'Escalade. Buy a nice "marmite au chocolat de l'Escalade" to bring back home (the bigger, the better). This can be found in any confiserie.

Cheers,

Fabien
Pages: [1]   Go Up