Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yosemite in February (A place to stay)  (Read 2607 times)

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
Yosemite in February (A place to stay)
« on: November 17, 2016, 04:47:37 pm »

We will be visiting our son in college the last weekend of February and I would like to take advantage and drive to Yosemite for our first visit. I'm looking for a good hotel not too far from the park and was wondering if anyone had recommendations, nothing that will break the bank but not a dump either!

Cheers

Mark

Riverman

Re: Yosemite in February (A place to stay)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 06:24:20 pm »

Welcome from El Portal.  I would try and stay at the Yosemite View Lodge located along the Merced River in El Portal.  You are right at the park boundary and Yosemite Valley is only about 10 miles away.  Keep in mind if you are coming to see Horsetail Falls off of El Capitan there will be huge crowds and crazy delays coming out of the Valley.  Still winter light in Yosemite is the best!

Riverman = Hugh Sakols

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 10:08:16 am »

Thanking you Riverman! The Horsestail Falls are not a priority on this trip. I Just want to see Yosemite!

Mark

sierraman

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 08:30:34 pm »

Welcome from El Portal.  I would try and stay at the Yosemite View Lodge located along the Merced River in El Portal.  You are right at the park boundary and Yosemite Valley is only about 10 miles away.  Keep in mind if you are coming to see Horsetail Falls off of El Capitan there will be huge crowds and crazy delays coming out of the Valley.  Still winter light in Yosemite is the best!

Riverman = Hugh Sakols

Riverman?  Merced River(man)?

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 08:38:37 am »

For some reason I also have a riverman user name.  Sometimes when I post from my work computer, I'm signed in as reverman instead of hsakols.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 09:14:24 am »

...there will be huge crowds and crazy delays coming out of the Valley...

In February!?

LMBSGV

• Laurence Brauer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 04:19:21 pm »

My wife and I have gone to Yosemite Valley nearly every winter in late January/February since 1983, staying at Yosemite Lodge or Curry Village. If you go on weekdays, the rates are more reasonable. There are far, far fewer people in the winter. Hiking around the Valley, we often find ourselves in solitude since many visitors spend the day at Badger Pass skiing. Even in late February, I expect you'll find no crowds except possibly on the weekend.

One bit of advice is don't count on the food available unless you have a lot of time and money. The food court at the Lodge is barely edible and the Mountain Room and Awahnee expensive. We always bring a cooler and our own food.

Have a great time.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 04:23:53 pm by LMBSGV »

sierraman

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 08:25:34 pm »

In February!?

Yep. February is when, if the conditions are right, Horsetail Falls turns into the "Fire Fall" of light. This past February was crazy crowded because the conditions were perfect. They had to close one side of the road just so people could park their cars on it. Just Google the event to see the crazy amount of people that were photographing it.  :)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 11:30:40 pm »

During the late winter the sun is at the perfect angle to backlight horsetail falls.  It became popularized after Galen Rowell photographed in back in the 70's.  http://www.mountainlight.com/gallery.classics/images.html  Later in March the sun will start hitting Bridalveil Falls and Cathedral Rocks. This weekend it snowed down to 2000ft.  Yosemite Valley is at 4000ft.
Pages: [1]   Go Up