Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Can someone explain this visual or lens phenomena?  (Read 55411 times)

Phil Indeblanc

Re: Can someone explain this visual or lens phenomina?
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2016, 04:25:51 am »

I hope I learned more but mostly about people... than anything new about the earth, along with more questions on some other "revealing" videos.

I did see many different images and videos. Some BS stuff. Some I couldn't be clear on without Barts help, and others that were interesting.
This BBC documentary was interesting, and I was a bit puzzled.

https://youtu.be/52a0Xjuaixo?t=18m17s

I start the video from 18 min in, and the interesting part really starts at 27min into it. I wonder what y'all think?

As far as reinventing the wheel...
I think its not a bad idea to reinvent or at least step back and take a fresh look at the wheel, once every thousand years or so.
Here is what Good year came up with  :-)
https://youtu.be/8ZXSAAMmEMs?t=15s
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Rob C

« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2016, 08:50:54 am »

Will Truth please stand up and be identified.

;-)

Rob C

Telecaster

« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2016, 03:33:22 pm »

Getting back to something more grounded (though esoteric in almost any other context!), here's a new video from PBS Space Time concerning the deBroglie/Bohm (aka "pilot wave") approach to understanding, or at least attempting to understand, quantum mechanical behavior. It came up briefly in an earlier post in this thread, and IMO is worthy of some consideration. The video is a pretty good introduction.

https://youtu.be/RlXdsyctD50

I think all attempts at "making sense" of quantum mechanics are hampered by our natural inclination to fit something new and seemingly strange into some or other pre-existing framework. The Bohm approach in particular is mostly driven by a philosophical unease with probabilistic behavior. Which doesn't necessarily mean it's a wrong approach. It could be on the right track even if inspired by unfounded assumptions, a la Democritus and the concept of atoms.

-Dave-

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2016, 08:18:35 pm »

Kinda exposes how the entire group had to bend one anothers theoretical concepts and was forced to push something "agreed" on for one objective.
While Tesla on the other end was slamming gravity vs electromagnetism.

Sure, a mastery of math and being at the right time of creating theories...living in a boxed manifestation with a strong imagination and good note taking... it would help me understand it better :-)

but there is a disconnect from physical to the conceptual...

Anyway, the PBS channel surely has its own agenda, and surely there needs be some new concepts that were conveniently available that we now have a more clear understanding of, and will help fill the holes.
Love the closing statement..."Btw, this is why science is so important",
Rather the religion of science as perpetually constructed, reconstructed ... Its so important to "their" institutions.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2016, 01:12:04 am »

This one is also very interesting....

I start it at the point Farmer wanted to make, that you can travel to the continent, so it picks up there.
But the footage before it explains how for some reason there is always a flight or 2 across, but they never actually happen. Claims they are not real, or they end up getting a stop over, and somehow they are dodged and not flown over.

https://youtu.be/Pi6psthAscQ?t=21m52s

Pretty interesting amount of information. While circumstantial, and you can ignore it, as you can also know that correlation is not causation...yet if you add up the number of instances, and also the number of people showing the math for 8" a mile squared.. is not adding up, or even close to it as a calculation, and out of many tests the further the test goes, it does show some slight curvature, but nothing close to the math it should align with to some degree. Then you have this footage which is of official docs....

https://youtu.be/PxXGcc5OdmA

If you take your head out of our "understood reality" and the calculations that do add up, you can see this thing grow some legs.(just from these links, besides soooo many others)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 02:16:27 am by Phil Indeblanc »

jeremyrh

« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2016, 02:07:54 am »

Please, mummy, make it stop  :'(

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2016, 01:34:44 pm »

ITs rather funny how we can sit and discuss all day, yet the tools are in front of us, and we have the simple ability to just test for ourselves, but we fall back on texts that someone else wrote. Why and how are these people supposed to be soo much smarter than you? Why would you not simply test it and see for yourself? In 2016, with the easy tools we have it is not hard! I started this post to do the test, but wanted some advice on the right way to doit, NOT based on ANY conclusion. Simple math of proven theorems, and simple repeat observation.

Its amazing how institutionalized some minds are. Its a waste of time to verify the actual place you stand? We learn over and over in history how every few hundred years the understanding of civilization changes what they once knew as fact. This is the technological time of recorded imagery, communication, and precision tools available to the masses...YET we have not ONE true image from orbit showing this "reality" yet you defend it like a sacrd religion in the name of the EXACT practice it undermines! How lazy can we be at times? And then not only do we spew what we learned, and the better we took time to understand it the more we are convinced it must be the only answer.

Do you think questioning something of this simplicity is a easy position? Do you think people who believe one way or the other were born this way?
It WOULD be easy to confirm, with some effort, if we looked at things scientifically without arrogance, without the idea of "I know something more and I will school what I learned onto you"!... YET you can PROVE and test what you learned yourself, BUT, you have to do the simple tests. The physically proven. The tests basic physics teaches us. Observational tests. Repeatable ones with both sides. And this test is not law as our physical state is in a perpetual change. Maybe years down the line, or the NEXT day a contradicting test comes up. The test is not to show your right or wrong! ITs to define, and that is ALL HUMANS DO, and its what science does, is to define what we observe. We don't create it! And we don't trust the givens!  When you have marketing and authoritarian rule dictate what you know, while its in front of you to confirm, how can you not check?

But it most importantly takes a true scientific mind to admit that the science proved them wrong. And that's where the scientist and the indoctrinated diverge.
There are a number of you here that know the information we learned very well and we hold it VERY close to our identity of what we believe to be true and is as we understand reality. But if you are a scientific mind, and you honor that understanding that you observe and report. This is what drove you away from religion in the first place! I know it did for me. If you are true to that scientific METHOD, than you test. If you are just a believer, you hold on to your believes like the church. There is nothing too wrong with that as a person, but if a man is of scientific understanding, you just cant do that. A rational, logic based thinker does not allow indoctrination take over this area in his or her life. 

There are a number of postulate positions you should be faced with just in what I presented. If you are fit or fat and happy with your life and how the world surrounds you, and the direction of man kind and wish to NOT be rational, and stick to what you think you know...then I ask you to do so someplace other than this thread....

If you think the shape of something is one way over another than we should measure it, and define it as we find it. "But Phil its already been done since 250 BC!". I know. I learned a lot of the same things you did. I'm sure a couple of you at least learned it much better than I. Further than I. Fantastic. Give yourself a round of applause. I learned other things that might be in a macro view. And another person learned something else in a micro topic. Fantastic! These are NOT things that work against one another. These are what bring advancement in understanding. But they have to be quantifiable. Your study of some text books in another area of thought doesn't make you smarter than I, or him, her, or anyone with rational. You simply expanded your vocabulary in that school of thought.

And I do understand that we can predict things, like rise and fall of sun and moon, etc. I just want to learn more. And I like doing it hands on with testing. But if we only take the information that is immediate to us on such a large planet that has been measured to ~23k miles, I think a collective pool would give a more accurate idea from different areas. At the same time we can observe the sun getting smaller as it approaches the horizon, we can observe crespecular rays, we can observe the clouds shadows, calculate the distance, triangulate the suns converging position. So we have basic things to measure for physical evidence...with some effort, it is simply testable..

Otherwise keep your religion to yourself, as that is what you are doing. Perhaps you process information faster, or slower, and you can have a larger memory, or small. But you are not this idea of a superior intellect. We as a human race have moved slowly this far due to collective experience and knowledge. While we have so much technical advances we have made, yet so little or NONE to even show for it. Use this internet while the channels of global communication are open. Just this alone made advancements not long ago SO hard. Why do you think we are here at this desk? Its those advancements from technology that we have to thank for. Testing is the least we can do.

This maybe helpful:
http://www.davidsenesac.com/Information/line_of_sight.html
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 02:33:41 pm by Phil Indeblanc »

Telecaster

« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2016, 02:43:28 pm »

Kinda exposes how the entire group had to bend one anothers theoretical concepts and was forced to push something "agreed" on for one objective.

You can't "expose" what isn't hidden. Establishing concensus is how cooperative enterprises work. Science works better than others because the concensus is inevitably challenged by continued data gathering, analysis and plain ol' cogitation. As in this case.

but there is a disconnect from physical to the conceptual...

Not really. If it weren't for quantum mechanics no-one would've conceived that transistors could even exist, much less have a theoretical framework showing them how to make transistors. No transistors, no modern electronic technology.

Love the closing statement..."Btw, this is why science is so important",

That was a joke, Phil.  ;D  Context is everything.

Rather the religion of science as perpetually constructed, reconstructed ... Its so important to "their" institutions.

"Scientists" making claims without evidence inevitably get shot down, as they should. No religion works that way.

-Dave-

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2016, 06:23:01 pm »

Getting back to something more grounded (though esoteric in almost any other context!), here's a new video from PBS Space Time concerning the deBroglie/Bohm (aka "pilot wave") approach to understanding, or at least attempting to understand, quantum mechanical behavior. It came up briefly in an earlier post in this thread, and IMO is worthy of some consideration. The video is a pretty good introduction.

https://youtu.be/RlXdsyctD50

I think all attempts at "making sense" of quantum mechanics are hampered by our natural inclination to fit something new and seemingly strange into some or other pre-existing framework. The Bohm approach in particular is mostly driven by a philosophical unease with probabilistic behavior. Which doesn't necessarily mean it's a wrong approach. It could be on the right track even if inspired by unfounded assumptions, a la Democritus and the concept of atoms.

-Dave-

This is what Tesla knew of about 100 years ago. Now we regurgitate it with a title to tie into something we oppositely defined, but still massaging it to work out the issues to make it work... Brilliant!

N80

« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2016, 07:38:29 pm »

You can't "expose" what isn't hidden. Establishing concensus is how cooperative enterprises work. Science works better than others because the concensus is inevitably challenged by continued data gathering, analysis and plain ol' cogitation. As in this case.

Consensus is the weakest form of science and should always be regarded as such.

"Scientists" making claims without evidence inevitably get shot down, as they should. No religion works that way.

Incorrect. Religion, at least Christianity (and by extension Judaism), is completely open to verification and therefore to refutation as well. To date there is no slam dunk scientific verification but there are certainly historical and archaeological corroborations that support it and there are solid philosophical arguments to support logical warrant for holding theistic beliefs. And lack of objective, repeatable verifications do not stand in the way of science either, so this is hardly a weakness unique to the defense of religion. Likewise, to date, there are no absolute scientific or philosophical refutations for theism. There are many that are popularly presumed but few withstand close scrutiny, those that do still lack the definitive power to absolutely refute.

It is a broad and complicated topic. Inappropriate for this forum. I would be glad to discuss it privately if anyone is interested. But suffice it to say that the popular assumption that science has buried God has more to do with faith in science than any real science.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2016, 04:22:26 pm »

Looking at where Michelson and Morley "fail" test left off, and where Tesla picked up, one can understand people talking about what CERN project is a bit differently. Then you can see how field and magnetism is tested and observable science. But without ignoring what I learned and built a separate understanding how relativity gets disproven, you see why now you have aesther testing, as you can see the effect on ferrocell experiment. So much we don't currently learn in school yet keep the void filled with old content.

Telecaster

« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2016, 04:42:05 pm »

But suffice it to say that the popular assumption that science has buried God has more to do with faith in science than any real science.

I explicitly referred to religion. Different thing.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2016, 05:05:59 pm »

Consensus is the weakest form of science and should always be regarded as such.

Concensus is just a way station en route from one paradigm shift to the next. Kuhn in his book gets this part right IMO, though I think he intended to be more pejorative than he reads. It's as useful to consolidate gains in knowledge & understanding into a consensus as it is important to later break that concensus and leave it behind via new & better evidence & analysis. Such is the case currently with the Standard Model of particle physics. There's broad concensus that it's as correct as we can currently make it. But is it a complete picture? Nope. In eventually making a more complete picture current sacred cows will surely be gored.

-Dave-

N80

« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2016, 07:56:27 pm »

I explicitly referred to religion. Different thing.
-Dave-

Your are absolutely right. My mistake.

However, in regard to at least one specific religion I still contend it remains verifiable and by extension, refutable. Mankind has struggled with this for centuries. The conversation is not over, though some presume it to be.
George

N80

« Reply #154 on: December 03, 2016, 08:02:20 pm »

Concensus is just a way station en route from one paradigm shift to the next.

Agreed. The problem is when some, possible lesser lights, equate consensus with 'fact' or when consensus becomes the corner stone upon which theory is built without the level of verification science demands.

There's broad concensus that it's as correct as we can currently make it.

Sometimes the best we can do is the best we can do. I only ask (expect) that we acknowledge it as such. In the popular media "scientists say..." takes on the weight of "God said...." This is, of course, not the fault of science per se. This is the fault of those who would manipulate science for specific purposes.

In eventually making a more complete picture current sacred cows will surely be gored.

That's a strange metaphor but I think it is spot on.
George

Ray

« Reply #155 on: December 03, 2016, 09:02:17 pm »

The following theory by Kenneth Chan appeals to me, but of course I'm not qualified to assess the scientific validity of his theory. It just makes sense to me at a fundamental level, and I tend to go along with what makes sense.

However, I'd be interested to read of any 'debunking' of his theory by a more knowledgeable person than myself.

http://kenneth-chan.com/physics/why-relativity-exists/

Following is a summary of his theory, which I misrepresented earlier in the thread by implying that electrons travel at the speed of light when I really meant 'electromagnetic transmission'.

"We perceive the speed of light to be constant because the physiological functioning of our body (including our brain) depends on the speed of electromagnetic transmission (which is the speed of light), and we have defined our time according to how we physiologically experience it. We have thus effectively used the speed of light as the standard for defining our time, and that is why the speed of light is always constant according to our time.

This also reveals that relativity exists because our science is actually a science of what we experience, and not a science of a universe independent of us as observers. If scientists ignore this fact, we would be like the prisoners in Plato’s Cave, who have no idea that they are trapped by their perceptual limitations. Thus, in science, we need to take into account our crucial role as conscious observers."

Farmer

« Reply #156 on: December 03, 2016, 10:20:50 pm »

This measurement of time has nothing to do with our physiological functioning:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/physicists-record-smallest-slice-time-yet-180961085/

At this fragment of time, light travels just about 3*10^-13 metres.  A single proton (hydrogen nucleus) is about 1.75x10^-15m or about 15*10^-15m for a uranium nucleus.  This is orders of magnitude less than any of our physiological functions - it's literally at the sub-atomic level.

Our ability to measure and utilise this information is far beyond our physiological limits, so to suggest that our physiological limits somehow determine what we are able to measure is extremely lacking in evidence, given there is so much evidence to the contrary.
Phil Brown

Ray

« Reply #157 on: December 03, 2016, 11:55:24 pm »

This measurement of time has nothing to do with our physiological functioning:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/physicists-record-smallest-slice-time-yet-180961085/

At this fragment of time, light travels just about 3*10^-13 metres.  A single proton (hydrogen nucleus) is about 1.75x10^-15m or about 15*10^-15m for a uranium nucleus.  This is orders of magnitude less than any of our physiological functions - it's literally at the sub-atomic level.

Our ability to measure and utilise this information is far beyond our physiological limits, so to suggest that our physiological limits somehow determine what we are able to measure is extremely lacking in evidence, given there is so much evidence to the contrary.

Sorry! I'm having difficulty in grasping the logic of your argument. The article you've linked to makes no mention of any measurement that is greater than the speed of light. Rather, it seems to be describing the measurement of a record small period of time,  of a trillion of a billionth of a second or so.

It's obvious that as technology progresses we are able to make finer and more accurate measurements using more sophisticated instruments. However, the issue that Kenneth Chan is addressing is the explanation for the apparent constancy of the speed of light in a vacuum, which seems to be independent of the speed of the observer.

Einstein's explanation is that space and time warp in order to ensure that the speed of light is an absolute constant, which sounds a bit too convenient.

Kenneth Chan's explanation is that our very existence is dependent upon and limited by physiological processes that can occur no faster than the speed of light, although they occur often much slower than the speed of light, just as light can slow down when passing through a liquid or semi-transparent substance.

The photoelectric effect described in your linked article also occurs in our bodies, according to the following.

PHOTOELECTRIC FACTS:

What’s the photoelectric effect? It’s been determined experimentally that when light shines on a metal surface, the surface emits electrons. For example, you can start an instantaneous  DC current in a circuit just by shining a light on a metal plate or some of the proteins or lipids in us.   Light of specific and sensitive power that hits anything with loose electrons called de-localized electrons is capable of this effect.  All semiconductors that are non metals use this effect in technology.  It turns out most of the lipids and proteins in our cells also use this effect.  This also has been experimentally proven by Robert O. Becker in human bone tissue in the 1960’s.  It has been proven operational in many other tissues as well because of transcranial and transcardic magnetic stimulation

Farmer

« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2016, 02:27:39 am »

The point is that measurement of things is independent of our physiology.  We have no direct way of measuring such things, so our physiology is irrelevant to that measurement.

The speed of light in our bodies (photo-electric) is different to the speed of light in a vacuum - so there's no logical nexus between the two in terms of any imposed limitation of measurement, quite apart from the fact that we do not measure these things directly ourselves.

So the logic is simple - it's a demonstration of a measurement that occurs independently of our physiology to show that our physiology does not impose any limitations.

Take all modern measurements of the speed of light.  They all agree.  However, all of them taken at different places are relatively different to each other in terms of absolute velocity (consider an inertial frame of reference).  Our perception of light (our physiological ability to measure it) has no impact on the result at all.  It is measured by devices, not by people.

The appeal that Special Relativity (and also check Galileo's Relativity for a mechanical, rather than electro-magnetic, version of much the same thing (conceptually and in practice)) is somehow convenient is extremely poor.  Special Relativity has evidence to support it through observation and theory (predicting certain outcomes), including things such as time dilation which has been measured quite reliably many times, whereas Chan's concept lacks any proof or repeatable results based on the theory.

Special Relativity may be wrong, but it's the best model that currently exists and Chan's model does not stand up to the existing evidence.
Phil Brown

Ray

« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2016, 07:35:23 am »

The point is that measurement of things is independent of our physiology.  We have no direct way of measuring such things, so our physiology is irrelevant to that measurement.

Surely all measuring devices are products which are designed and constructed by the human imagination in such ways which are meaningful, relevant, related to, and even inextricably tied to inherent human characteristics.

Whatever the type of measuring device which is used, the results always have to be interpreted through the human senses of sight, hearing, taste, smell, touch.

The speed of light in our bodies (photo-electric) is different to the speed of light in a vacuum

And the speed of light in water or glass is also different to the speed of light in a vacuum. I'm referring to the maximum speed of light which remains unchanged from the perspective of the human observer, whatever speed the human observer is travelling in relation to the object emitting or reflecting the light.

So the logic is simple - it's a demonstration of a measurement that occurs independently of our physiology to show that our physiology does not impose any limitations.

Sounds like you are talking about measurements that occur independently of human existence. Our existence is dependent upon our physiology. The measuring devices we use are dependent upon human physiology (intelligence and creative imagination). The application of the measuring devices is dependent upon human physiology and the interpretation of the results are dependent upon human physiology.

Take all modern measurements of the speed of light. They all agree. However, all of them taken at different places are relatively different to each other in terms of absolute velocity (consider an inertial frame of reference).

Please elaborate. Are you referring to the concept, for example, that light from an electric light bulb will be emitted in all directions and that one particular beam of light travelling in the opposite direction to another beam of light, should be travelling at twice the speed of light in relation to that other beam of light?

As I understand, there's no point of view from which we can measure, (interpret the data from) anything moving faster than c. Logically one might imagine that two photons travelling in opposite directions should be travelling faster than the speed of light in relation to each other, but in practice we can't measure such a phenomenon. Time dilation (or the slower running of clocks) ensures that the photon moving in the opposite direction to another photon, is still moving at c (the speed of light) in relation to that other photon.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up