Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RGB Values for Epson 3800 Printer Inks  (Read 1947 times)

stingray

RGB Values for Epson 3800 Printer Inks
« on: November 16, 2016, 11:06:53 am »

I have an Epson 3800.  I am exceedingly happy with this printer for my relatively low volume personal Fine Art printing.

I have had very rare clogs, cannot really complain. 

Lately I seem to be getting more clogs than usual.   

I was thinking of creating a test print document (probably in InDesign), with a specific test page per colour channel.  My thinking is that if I get a clog with a specific ink I can print the corresponding test page. In this way I do not waste ink from the other ink cartridges.

The objective is to try to get the printer to clear its own clog ..... maybe by printing this page every few hours (and then let the ink seep through the nozzle) and try again.

Does anyone know what are the rgb values for the different inks in the Epson 3800.

Any help appreciated.

Doug Gray

Re: RGB Values for Epson 3800 Printer Inks
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 01:40:07 pm »

I have an Epson 3800.  I am exceedingly happy with this printer for my relatively low volume personal Fine Art printing.

I have had very rare clogs, cannot really complain. 

Lately I seem to be getting more clogs than usual.   

I was thinking of creating a test print document (probably in InDesign), with a specific test page per colour channel.  My thinking is that if I get a clog with a specific ink I can print the corresponding test page. In this way I do not waste ink from the other ink cartridges.

The objective is to try to get the printer to clear its own clog ..... maybe by printing this page every few hours (and then let the ink seep through the nozzle) and try again.

Does anyone know what are the rgb values for the different inks in the Epson 3800.

Any help appreciated.

I've wondered about this as well. I have a 9800 and if I haven't used it for a week or so I just print a profile chart but that exercises all the channels to about the same degree and that clears any of the head channels. At least so far and doesn't waste much ink. I use a long, thin, small (400 patches) set on roll paper to not waste paper and one of the single page patch sets on an 8.5x11 for sheets.

I have printed neutral colors to see what the print pattern looks like and where transitions from photo black to light and light-light black occur. I've also printed solid magenta, yellow, and cyan by using RGB (255,0,255), (255,255,0) and  (0,255,255). I'm not sure where the cutoffs would be for light cyan and light magenta but would try something like (200,255,255) and (256, 200, 256). I've used a 100mm macro lens at 1:1 to check the ink used on the neutral colors but haven't done the same for the light cyan and magentas.

unesco

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 02:17:21 pm »

If you would like to print clear color per channel, I would recommend to use QTR Calibration feature, where you can print each channel separately, or make your own patch for given channel (or some ready files are available on e.g. Piezography web page).
Printing using standard driver with any color managed software (non RIP) would be tricky - if anyhow possible to separate 100% give channel.

Robert Katz

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 03:18:08 pm »

If you go to http://www.marruttusa.com/printer-maintenance/inkjet-printer-purge-files.php#bulls
you can download any inkjet purge files for your epson 3800.
Robert
Robert Katz
Robert Katz Photography

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 03:54:17 pm »

If you go to http://www.marruttusa.com/printer-maintenance/inkjet-printer-purge-files.php#bulls
you can download any inkjet purge files for your epson 3800.
Robert
Thanks for that.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

stingray

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 05:30:35 am »

Apologies for my slow reply (I did not realise there were comments posted).

Thanks for the various responses.  I will study in detail over the next week or two.

I have compiled the attached list if approx colours.  I think these are close enough for my needs. 

My intention is that if I get a clog for a specific colour (as per the Epson Test Print) then I plan to print a page which contains a series of small squares with gaps horizontally and vertically between the squares, so the printer will attempt to print with a pulse action .... and in doing so may help clear the clog.

Pages: [1]   Go Up