Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Capture NX "Trial Version" ?installation key  (Read 18140 times)

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Nikon Capture NX "Trial Version" ?installation key
« on: July 08, 2006, 12:24:19 pm »

Maybe someone here can fill in what I'm missing.

I downloaded the "trial" version of Nikon Capture NX, supposedly good for 30 days' use. Upon first opening the program, it asked for a product installation key. Hmmm.

I could find no instructions on the download site about where one obtains such a key, and I'm wondering why it would be required for a "trial" version anyway.

Any suggestions appreciated. I'm sure there's something obvious I'm overlooking.
michael sebast

KeithR

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 02:14:23 pm »

Maybe someone here can fill in what I'm missing.

I downloaded the "trial" version of Nikon Capture NX, supposedly good for 30 days' use. Upon first opening the program, it asked for a product installation key. Hmmm.

I could find no instructions on the download site about where one obtains such a key, and I'm wondering why it would be required for a "trial" version anyway.

Any suggestions appreciated. I'm sure there's something obvious I'm overlooking.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello Mike,

I have not downloaded NX yet, so I can't give you an answer. But on another site:
[a href=\"http://www.juergenspecht.com/lists/d1scussion/]http://www.juergenspecht.com/lists/d1scussion/[/url]
They have a number of people that have been writing about their results with NX. On this site there are also comments and replies from a couple of Nikon technical people such as David Dentry(Gen Mgr-Tech Support-USA) and Micheal Rubin(I believe a director of softwear development Nikon USA). In the time I have been reading the list, if there are tech questions concerning equipment or softwear, one(and sometimes both) of these guys replies quickly.  In otherwords, they make it a prctice to monitor the list and help answer question when they can.
You would have to sign on to read everything that gets posted. I have been a member for a couple of years and only get the daily digest version, but you get a lot of comments and replies from Nikon personel. It's free to join, and the main topic is Nikon. It is moderated and is very serious in the discussions. As expected the main topic right now is NX, and the comments are both good and bad.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Richowens

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 05:22:44 pm »

Hi Mike,

When I launch the program I get a splash screen with four choices at the bottom.
Continue Trial, Purchase Key, Install Key and Exit.

The "Purchase Key " button takes you to their press release concerning the release date, nothing more. I have not found any purchase information on any of their sites.

I just click the "Continue Trial" and use the program.

I would have replied sooner but I got kinda sidetracked for the last 3 or 4 hours giving it a spin.  

Oh yeah, my version is on a PC.

Rich

mikeseb

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 09:24:59 pm »

thanks Keith and Rich for your input. I'll check out that site for advice if Nikon Tech Support doesn't come through.

On my Mac I see the same four buttons; for some reason the "continue trial" button is dimmed and therefore nonfunctional.

I'll post what I find out. Thanks guys.
michael sebast

Rokcet Scientist

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 08:32:29 pm »

[...]I could find no instructions on the download site about where one obtains such a key, and I'm wondering why it would be required for a "trial" version anyway. [...][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70072\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think an installation key isn't required for a trial, Mike. I'm guessing NX will start up and work for a month, then lock up, unless you enter that installation key. Which would probably cost you full price.
Apparently they haven't begun selling those yet or there would be links.

dogear

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 03:44:00 pm »

thanks Keith and Rich for your input. I'll check out that site for advice if Nikon Tech Support doesn't come through.

On my Mac I see the same four buttons; for some reason the "continue trial" button is dimmed and therefore nonfunctional.

I'll post what I find out. Thanks guys.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70200\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mike,
I use Macs and also experienced this problem. Here's what worked for me: Remove the NX trial software (using the included uninstaller), temporarily log in as an administrator, then reinstall. I think the user must need certain privileges to install all components properly. Hope that helps.
--Scott

mikeseb

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 06:10:53 pm »

Mike,
I use Macs and also experienced this problem. Here's what worked for me: Remove the NX trial software (using the included uninstaller), temporarily log in as an administrator, then reinstall. I think the user must need certain privileges to install all components properly. Hope that helps.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70382\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dogear, I had figured this out finally! I accomplished the same end by changing permissions on the NX directory to allow my (nonadministrative) user account to have read+write access to that directory. Problem solved. I should have suspected given the number of times similar problems have cropped up, all attributable to permissions issues.

Thanks dogear, and thanks to everyone else who chipped in.
michael sebast
Pages: [1]   Go Up