Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capitol Reef  (Read 3806 times)

vjbelle

Capitol Reef
« on: November 10, 2016, 08:26:52 am »

I plan to spend a little time at Capitol Reef in the beginning of December.  Its in the middle of other locations and would like some advice for time needed.  Can I photograph most of it in two days or should I plan for more time. 

Thanks in advance.....

Victor
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:37:10 am by vjbelle »

Camboman

• http://www.pbase.com/camboman
Re: Capitol Reef
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 01:03:07 pm »

You could spend 2 weeks there and still need more time, it's a huge park. But if you had just 2 days, you could do a couple of the more popular hikes and the scenic drive back into the fold and get a good taste for the park. Here's a link to a great book on the park ...

Capitol Reef National Park: The Complete Hiking and Touring Guide

If you have a high clearance 4x4, you can get to more remote scenic areas like Cathedral Valley and Strike Valley Overlook. But stay off the clay roads if rain threatens. Good luck!

vjbelle

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 02:26:52 pm »

Thanks much for the reply.  It may be a little chilly when I go but there won't be many other people which I find a plus.  I'm staying in Torrey and will be lucky to find any restaurants open.  The room has a microwave so all is not lost.

Victor

mikev1

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 12:55:24 am »

I spent a couple of days in Capitol Reef in January and stayed in Torrey.  There is a little diner that was open but I think it closed early in the evening if I recall.

You will largely have the whole park to yourself!

I really enjoyed it.

BrownBear

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 11:33:38 am »

I'd consider two days a "fly-by intro," preparatory for a much longer visit. On our most recent visits, we dragged along our travel trailer and stayed for two weeks at the campground near Fruita. We're winter visitors only, and it's usual to go all day on the trails and not see another soul.

Some points to consider-

Night, and by extension mornings, can be cold. Dress for it and bring gloves.

The area is vast, with outlying areas requiring long drives around the park to reach. You can waste a lot of precious time behind the wheel trying to "do it all" on a short stay. If you have only a couple of days, I'd concentrate on the areas accessible off the main drive through the park and forget everything else.

Evenings and nights can be magical. If your trip coincides with the full moon, use your days (and a compass) to plan for moonlit landscapes at night.

Over and above all the great geology, the orchards and old buildings around Fruita can be compelling, so don't hesitate to get out for a while after dinner, even if you're not inclined to be out til midnight.

Hike! The scenery from the road is terrific, but perspectives change (and usually improve) as you walk away from the road. Every little side canyon bears investigation, timing dependent on the orientation of the canyon to the position of the sun.

vjbelle

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 03:54:21 pm »

Thanks an awful lot for the replies.....  I've decided to stay 4 nights and did in fact think of this as an intro to the park since it is so vast.  BrownBear - thanks especially about not trying to see the entire park on such a short visit.  I expect the weather to be cool/cold and have multi layers of Arc'Teryx down jackets.  Although I usually travel with my wife, this time, I am traveling alone so I won't be going too far off the beaten path for safety reasons.  All shooting is with my Actus and Phase 3100 - 4 lenses and complete camera weigh just about 10 pounds including the backpack so its fairly doable for hiking.  I am pretty psyched about this outing and anticipate spending much more time in the future..... but always in the off season.

Victor

BrownBear

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 12:47:51 pm »

Sounds like you're right on track.

I'll add one location to my short list. In the first couple of miles past the park entrance (headed west) are some great afternoon views back into the park while looking south, with intervening narrow draws and worn rock providing dramatic foregrounds if you like them as I do. In the same area, look north to the bluffs overhanging the highway. You can lose yourself in the eroded forms, as well as the debris fields and scattered vegetation at their bases. Great mix of colors, forms and textures.

Okay, one more. One of my favorite photos from the area occurred on the night of a full moon. There's a weathered barn among the orchards overlooked by the great cliffs. In bright moonlight there's just enough illumination to feature the barn in the setting, and with enough ISO's in your pocket, limit distracting star trails above the cliffs.  I was able to record enough detail shooting TX (remember that stuff called film?) at 400 ISO to do some great dodging and burning in the darkroom. Haven't tried it, but with the finer "granulation" of modern digital you could probably do even better, both in shooting and in the electronic darkroom. :)

vjbelle

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 08:06:00 am »

Thanks so much for the location tips!!  Its easy to waste a lot of time on a first visit. 

Victor
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 02:33:08 pm by vjbelle »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 03:53:40 pm »

My wife and I missed a trip out there this year due to illness but plan on going next year.  One leg of our trip will be from Zion and driving through Bryce and driving through Grand Staircase Escalante and through Capitol Reef then to Moab.  We're not going to hike and plan to see the highlights by car and car stops along the way. 

Here's the route in Google Maps.    https://goo.gl/maps/Xa8Rse5h4xA2

Any recommendations on minimum timing and where to stop at night?

VA_Norm

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 04:32:32 pm »

Thanks much for the reply.  It may be a little chilly when I go but there won't be many other people which I find a plus.  I'm staying in Torrey and will be lucky to find any restaurants open.  The room has a microwave so all is not lost.

Victor

I found the Kiva Koffeehouse on 12 between Boulder and Escalante a nice surprising find.

Norm

CoyoteButtes

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 02:48:28 am »

Alan Klein I would strongly recommend the Boulder Mountain Lodge in Boulder, Utah. It's a great place.

Stan
Pages: [1]   Go Up