Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on Phocus?  (Read 1997 times)

minicoop1985

Thoughts on Phocus?
« on: November 09, 2016, 02:34:09 pm »

Hey everyone. I just acquired a Hasselblad H3D, and am looking into what software will be best to use with it. What are your experiences with Phocus? Is it easier to use than Lightroom? More powerful? Even different at all? Thanks, folks.
Michael Long
Hasselblad H3D 39, Canon 5D mark II

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Thoughts on Phocus?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 04:06:00 pm »

You need to use Phocus, it's as simple as that. At some stage you will need to expand the compressed raw 3FF files to FFF if shooting to a card. It is free from hasselblad.com

Phocus and Lightroom perform different functions.
Phocus is a raw converter, tethering tool and compressed file expander. Many consider it the best in class as a Hassy raw converter.

Lightroom is a database, editing and printing tool. It uses Adobe Camera Raw for raw conversion. It does a lot of things but is not really the best in class at any of them. Sort of a Jack of all trades, master of none IMHO. One thing it doesn't do is run on a server which is an issue for me. So I still use Aperture. There is a Lightroom tethering plugin for Hasselblad, but I have never used it.

If you shoot tethered to Phocus then you gain the benefit of built in Colour Correction for Reproduction. Frankly the standard Natural Colour Selection is so good I seldom use reproduction mode. You can then export a TIF. When tethered Phocus automatically expands the 3FF to FFF and then it can be read by Photoshop.

Capture One is similar to Lightroom but doesn't support Hasselblad at all as a commercial decision. So totally useless to me.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up