Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iMac 5K and Lightroom: Consensus?  (Read 3220 times)

John Caldwell

iMac 5K and Lightroom: Consensus?
« on: November 09, 2016, 10:38:53 am »

Seeking reports of LRCC operation with current 5K Display iMac's. How good or bad, please? Ability to cross images over to Photoshop, and printing issues are also of interest. The NIK plugins may not behave well, I understand. Like some others, I'm still working on iMac 27" 2560 resolution machines, with good results.

Thanks for any and all observations.

Many thanks,

John Caldwell

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: iMac 5K and Lightroom: Consensus?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 01:15:02 pm »

I know two or three who have been using the 5k iMac since shortly after it was introduced and love it.  My closest friend just took home a p800 a couple of days ago and set it up and was printing within an hour, using Sierra.

I haven't seen too many complaints about it, although I would suggest it is long in the tooth and will most likely be updated pretty soon.  The delay for updating the iMac/Mac Pro/Mac Mini is probably due to something we aren't aware of that Apple plans on introducing.  Personally I think Apple will completely standardize on the new small USB-C port, since it can handle anything (imagine a world where everything connects with the same cable ... ). I wonder how/if they are planning on implementing the touch bar in the desktop lineup of Macs ... could be a new keyboard?

Time will tell, but I think something will come along pretty soon.

JeanMichel

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 04:24:06 pm »

I purchased the iMac Retina 5K (27")last December to replace my aging MacPro, which is now connected to the iMac as the MacPro holds 4 drives with my images on them. It took a while for LR CC to rebuild previews at first, but now it it runs very smoothly. I wish that the screen was as large as my Cinema 30", but the 27 inch one is just fine. The wow factor that came with the new screen has now simply become what I am used to.

The iMac runs silently; I put the MacPro to sleep whenever I can to silence it!

I went for the 3 tb Fusion drive. 16 GB of RAM

My OS is still El Capitan (I am not an early adopter of anything).

I print to both an P800 and P6000; no issues whatsoever.

Jean-Michel

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 04:30:49 pm »

My wife has a 5K iMac
- 40 GB Ram
- fast quad core i7
- 500 GB SSD
- Drobo 5 bay DAS - Thunderbolt

It rocks!  She routinely has 1-2 GB composite PS files. It's very quick and the screen is very nice and useful.

Me, I hoping for 1Q17 Kaby Lake 27" iMacs
Regards,
Ron

John Caldwell

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 06:51:01 am »

Thank you all. Early after the 5K release, some users reported the need to run the monitor at lower than native resolution for LR to not choke. Has that problem resolved? Are users allowing the native resolution when working in all of the LR modules?

Rdonson, is the "1Q17 Kaby Lake 27" iMacs" a possible upcoming iMac? Like wayne says, the current 5K has been out long enough that a replacement may not be far away, but isn't it fair to guess that screen resolution and video drivers won't be updated much?

Many thanks to all.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 09:20:53 am »

Intel said that Kaby Lake will ship 1Q 2017 - Apple is "likely" to follow with updates to desktop Macs but there are no guarantees.
Regards,
Ron

JeanMichel

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 07:42:09 pm »

Thank you all. Early after the 5K release, some users reported the need to run the monitor at lower than native resolution for LR to not choke. Has that problem resolved? Are users allowing the native resolution when working in all of the LR modules?

Rdonson, is the "1Q17 Kaby Lake 27" iMacs" a possible upcoming iMac? Like wayne says, the current 5K has been out long enough that a replacement may not be far away, but isn't it fair to guess that screen resolution and video drivers won't be updated much?

Many thanks to all.

The resolution issue was resolved by Adobe, LR CC runs just fine in full screen. No slow-downs or anything else.
Jean-Michel

John Caldwell

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 11:24:07 pm »

Excellent. Thank you all.

John-
Pages: [1]   Go Up